All City Subway Models & Elevated Lines
healey36

Re: From the Firefly Shops.........

Postby healey36 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:46 am

This should be interesting.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:26 pm

healey36 wrote:This should be interesting.

We'll see if there is any interest. I've been repeatedly admonished for my thinking that model building threads could be of interest on MTJ to the point that I've given up bothering in some sections, but I'm willing to try in this section of MTJ.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Jim K

Postby Jim K » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:51 pm

Please continue! There is interest. I will bore you again with a couple of shots of that CNS&MRR work car I kit-bashed a couple of years ago. You are an expert modeler and appreciated. Model ON!

Jim K

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:20 pm

I liked that work car then and I like it now!
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:50 pm

Thanks for the top-view of 606. You don't see these from that perspective very often. That is some sharp plank-work overhead. Did you stain that, and if so, what did you use for stain?

Jim K

Postby Jim K » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:18 pm

healey36 wrote:Thanks for the top-view of 606. You don't see these from that perspective very often. That is some sharp plank-work overhead. Did you stain that, and if so, what did you use for stain?

I painted Northeast Wood wood strips with Microlux Roof Red first and then cut and installed. I tell you that roof was a hoot to work on. A friend has an unpainted HO brass model of 606 and he let me have it for a while to measure things etc. I measured pretty quickly and then just stared at the roof for quite a while. I had reference books by CERA and a few other photos but nothing showed a top view of the roof. That brass model was invaluable.

Jim K

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:10 am

Well, it certainly turned out great. The gaps and joints between the planks give it a very realistic appearance, without having to darken with a wash or chalk. Quite nice.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:58 am

Roof, ends, and floor...

Floor ends filled and ready to shape the roof

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:48 am

Old school...reminds me a bit of prewar and WWII-vintage model airplane kits The Old Man gave me when I was a kid. Little more than a few blocks of wood, the rasp was your friend. I don’t think I ever finished one of those.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:14 pm

healey36 wrote:Old school...reminds me a bit of prewar and WWII-vintage model airplane kits The Old Man gave me when I was a kid. Little more than a few blocks of wood, the rasp was your friend. I don’t think I ever finished one of those.

That 4-in-hand is a great tool to just have in the shop! The big one I have is in the farrier's tool box.

I actually will use the upright belt sander to get the majority of the roof rounding done on the ends; the 4-in-hand gets me closer, then it's sanding blocks and sanding sticks. Then it's put back in the sanded away clerestory overhang.....a bit tedious, but not really hard.

Jim K

Postby Jim K » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:32 pm

Very nice. Gets my hands aching a bit. The Labelle roof rounding kit was a saver for me. You sort of zone out while performing this chore. At least I did. Fun to see it take shape,,,,,,,,,,,,, no pun intended........... well, maybe a little.

Jim K

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:36 pm

Roof shaped and filled...

Jim K

Postby Jim K » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:28 pm

Looks very, very good! I tapered mine out a bit more as the proto photos seemed that way. But your nice and tight turn down is great and right on.

Traction ON!

Jim K

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:50 am

Jim K wrote:Looks very, very good! I tapered mine out a bit more as the proto photos seemed that way. But your nice and tight turn down is great and right on.

Thanks! It's pretty close to the curvature in the plans; going to all get covered over with "canvas" and "tar" later. :wink: :wink:

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:02 am

My recollection of the Baltimore streetcars of the early 1960s has them sporting some advertising on the exterior, but you rarely see that on models. I especially recall large placard-sized adverts on the front and rear, either side of the light. The interiors were, of course, well papered.

Return to “Subway, Elevated, Trolley & Traction Lines”