All City Subway Models & Elevated Lines
healey36

Re: Subway, Elevated, Trolley & Traction Lines photos

Postby healey36 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:35 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
E7 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
One in G-burg can be entertaining.....

Easy.....traffic entering the circle yields to the traffic going round. There are a lot of them in New England, where they are called rotarys.

They're called rotaries in VA, MD, and PA, too! There's one in the middle of nowhere that I encounter on my way to Mercersburg.

A few laps and you are officially a Rotarian.

I seem to recall the ones in NE being quite a bit larger in diameter than the ones they build around here.

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:33 pm

The only one I'm familiar with in NE is located in Newbury/Newburyport, Mass. There are buildings around about 180 degrees with about 3 or 4 restaurants and a LOM (Loyal Order of Moose). You can get from one end of town to the other deceptively fast via the rotary because the main street is a large arc, and you are driving between the two ends. Visualize going across the end of a horseshoe. It is bigger than the two I am familiar with here, but I wouldn't call it huge. I used to go up there the week of memorial day every year, but a lot of my friends up that way have passed on. I'd like to make it once more before I buy the farm.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:39 pm

My first glimpse of a rotary was back in 1979 on a road trip with a some college buddies to Newport, RI. Once off I-95 and onto a state highway, there were a number of them. We all had a good laugh at the signs "Rotary Ahead". Then we discovered they called submarine/cold-cut sandwiches "Grinders". I love that part of the country.

I hadn't seen any more NE rotaries until just a few years ago when I spent a week in Rockport, Mass. There were a couple of them just outside Gloucester, one of which had a grass center that must have been 100 yards across. Salem had a number of them as well.

Still reading through old trade journals. Saw this MU car built for the Great Indian Peninsula Railway:

The article (Railway Age, March 28, 1925) reported that these units were built to be effectively fire-proof and able to operate in water two feet deep. I wonder what the equipment was like over on the Not-So-Great Indian Peninsula Railway. Having seen many photos of Indian railway operations, this one was probably designed with a 200-person capacity.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:23 pm

healey36 wrote:.......... was probably designed with a 200-person capacity.

On the inside; 200 more on the outside.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:03 pm

Comfortably...

E7

Postby E7 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:29 pm

healey36 wrote:My first glimpse of a rotary was back in 1979 on a road trip with a some college buddies to Newport, RI. Once off I-95 and onto a state highway, there were a number of them. We all had a good laugh at the signs "Rotary Ahead". Then we discovered they called submarine/cold-cut sandwiches "Grinders". I love that part of the country.

I liked it well enough that I think I could have lived there, but I couldn't have afforded to do so. Maybe grinder came from the fact that there was NO lettuce....diced up onions, tomatoes and pickles. I actually prefer them that way without all the lettuce.

healey36 wrote:I hadn't seen any more NE rotaries until just a few years ago when I spent a week in Rockport, Mass. There were a couple of them just outside Gloucester, one of which had a grass center that must have been 100 yards across. Salem had a number of them as well.

I drove down to the north end of Gloucester one time. Took a picture of the statue "They who go down to the sea in ships". I must have been tired because I turned around and went back North. I missed all those rotarys! Dang! Didn't want to get too close to Boston! Was there back in '74.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:25 am

On the Androscoggin & Kennebec

Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:03 pm

Monroe Street and the Hotel Pantlind, Grand Rapids, Michigan, sometime during the first decade of the 20th century:

Courtesy of the Library of Congress.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:59 am

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:11 am

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:52 pm

I have an O scale model of that CNS&M merchandise dispatch car, or one very similar to it.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:21 pm

J. S. Bach wrote:I have an O scale model of that CNS&M merchandise dispatch car, or one very similar to it.

I had one and sold it off. Car Works, I think?

Been slowly clearing stuff out the door that I really have no good reason to have other than parts to build more fun stuff!

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:14 pm

From Railway Age, October 31, 1925:

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:36 pm

If IC was still using those cars in the late 1940s and early 1950s, I probably rode on them.
They were faster than most steam trains because of their acceleration.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:58 pm

They were still using them into the 1970s if not the early 1980s.

Return to “Subway, Elevated, Trolley & Traction Lines”