Weekend Photos - March 2024

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
webenda

Re: Weekend Photos - March 2024

Postby webenda » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:11 pm

healey36 wrote:Crack out the Jameson's tonight and hoist a glass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD2Niae26Ow

“Whiskey in the Jar," written around the time of Cromwell's invasion of Ireland, the blackest episode in Irish history until The Famine, tells the tale of a highway robber betrayed by his lover, Molly, and ending up in a ball and chain in prison.

Historian Alan Lomax says songs of highwaymen attacking the agents of the crown were very popular with Irish and British peasants.

The folk of 17th-century Britain liked and admired their local highwaymen, and in Ireland (or Scotland) where the gentlemen of the roads robbed English landlords, they were regarded as national patriots. Such feelings inspired this rollicking ballad.

https://www.irishcentral.com/roots/hist ... hiskey-jar
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

webenda

Postby webenda » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:33 pm

This evening (6:00 pm) I walked into the train room and saw this:
At the moment it was quite startling to see the back of the train lite up so brilliantly.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:51 am

Must be the Vernal Equinox, a Stonehenge calendar effect on the layout :lol:

webenda

Postby webenda » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:54 am

It had that kind of feeling, yes. 8)
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

healey36

Postby healey36 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:25 am

LMS #2270, heading a local, waits for orders before proceeding south from the tower below bridge #305:

This Hornby type 101 clockwork 0-4-0 is a bit of a mystery to me; it looks like a prewar version that's been re-wheeled with postwar black-spoked wheels and connecting rods (but that's all conjecture as I have no decent reference for Hornby trains). Most of the versions I've seen include a steam-chest and drive-rods. Not sure, but it looks good and runs well. I've always liked the dark red scheme of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway.

webenda

Postby webenda » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:44 pm

healey36 wrote:Most of the versions I've seen include a steam-chest and drive-rods. Not sure, but it looks good and runs well.

Maybe yours is rare, it has side rods. Here is one with no side rods:
https://www.roseberys.co.uk/a0609-lot-5 ... #gallery-1
Last edited by webenda on Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:47 am

I think that's a prewar example (based on this posted image attributed to the 1934 catalog):

Most of the examples I've see look like this:

I think this is a postwar example, which typically featured the black-spoked wheels, steam-chest and drive rods. It could be there was some using-up-of-old-stock type activity during or immediately following the war, similar to that seen in the U. S. with Lionel and Flyer. I've no idea. It would be great to have a Hornby reference. I once saw a decent book on Hornby in a bookshop in Albany, New York, but passed on it for the $90 asking price...should have grabbed it.

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”