Weekend Photos - February 2024

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
webenda

Re: Weekend Photos - February 2024

Postby webenda » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:35 am

webenda wrote:
healey36 wrote:With Radio Shack gone, what's a good source for the components these days?

Your local electronics supply store, ebay, Amazon, https://www.digikey.com, https://www.mouser.com,
https://temu.com

Temu is interesting. They don't sell individual components but, for example, you get hundreds of resistors for less than the cost of a RadioShack 5 resistor package.
Example: https://www.temu.com/search_result.html ... ethod=user
The only thing about temu is that you often have to wait for the slow boat from China to arrive before the USPS can deliver your order.

I forgot Jameco as a source for electronic parts.
https://www.jameco.com/shop/KeywordSear ... Text=lm317

Many Electronic Parts stores that I have used have closed their doors. Most recently one of my favorites, All Electronics, sent this message to me, "After 56 years supplying surplus and new electronic parts and supplies, we have decided to call it quits."

There must be many more that I either forgot or never heard of.

Oh! Elliot Electronics. When Radio Shack closed I started using Elliott. Their prices on LEDs were higher than Radio Shack's prices but they had surplus parts dirt cheap.
https://www.elliottelectric.com/locatio ... vices.aspx
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

healey36

Postby healey36 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:53 pm

So what's killing off the independent electronic parts dealers? Chinese direct sales? They don't seem so easy to order from.

robert.

Postby robert. » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:21 pm

healey36 wrote:So what's killing off the independent electronic parts dealers? Chinese direct sales? They don't seem so easy to order from.

AMAZON! search any electronic part and ad the word amazon.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

webenda

Postby webenda » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:47 pm

robert. wrote:
healey36 wrote:So what's killing off the independent electronic parts dealers? Chinese direct sales? They don't seem so easy to order from.

AMAZON! search any electronic part and ad the word amazon.

OK, I will!

:shock:
I did not even add the word Amazon to my search.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

healey36

Postby healey36 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:04 pm

I have bought a ton of stuff off of Amazon, but I have to admit, electronic components hasn't been one of them (likely due to my electronic ignorance). It's interesting to note that even this type stuff is available from Bezos.

I'm getting ready to start working on refurbishing the gunmetal version 1664E I bought a few months ago. I have three of the more common black versions (why, I don't know), so I want to figure out which is in the worst cosmetic shape with mechanicals that can be donated to the gunmetal one. I got this one down off the shelf and gave it a few laps around the outer loop; it runs fine, so I'll have to dig out the others:

Of course, anytime you get something out on the pike that hasn't been run for awhile, the railfans show up. This is becoming a bigger problem than it used to be. Up at Heat-Pump Pass, it's not unusual to see as many as a half-dozen, all standing along the right-of-way. These two are standing in the property just along the table edge. If the railroad police show up, they can just jump over the side. We gotta get this under control.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

webenda

Postby webenda » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:56 pm

healey36 wrote:...gunmetal version 1664E...

Nice. John Allen used to paint all his locomotives gray. He said that gray showed detail better and it looked more realistic under the usual indoor lighting.

Gunmetal gray, a very deep shade of gray mixed with blue, looks really nice in photographs (to my eyes anyway.)
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

webenda

Postby webenda » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:10 am

AC-DC Layout
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:07 am

Looks good...seemingly endless traffic.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:32 pm

Wayne, Is this the same layout you had when you lived in Tucson. ?

Looks like you need to extend this one so you can get that other boxcar in there.

webenda

Postby webenda » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:15 pm

HONDO74 wrote:Wayne, Is this the same layout you had when you lived in Tucson. ?

No, This was my favorite in Tucson. It is out in orbit right now.

HONDO74 wrote:Looks like you need to extend this one so you can get that other boxcar in there.

The new door layout will get a few more pieces of track soon.
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”