The rise and fall of K line trains

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
gregj410

The rise and fall of K line trains

Postby gregj410 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:01 am

Interesting video on the K line story I discovered while surfing for superstreet videos.

https://youtu.be/S_tlDJyDFuo?si=R2OMT8Z4rnPghGyy

healey36

Re: The rise and fall of K line trains

Postby healey36 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:04 pm

Thanks for the link, Greg; pretty much lines up with my feeble understanding of how it all went down. That was a messed-up time in the toy train biz, for sure.

I have a few pieces of K-Line rolling stock and a couple of their building kits. I never bought any of their locomotives, although I understand some of them were very nice. A buddy of mine has a few of their top-line steam locos from their last years of production, and those unfortunately have shown signs of zinc-pest. Another friend has had no issues with his. Now that's a real story.
Last edited by healey36 on Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

v8vega

Postby v8vega » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:14 am

Yes I saw Murry Kline at Cal Stewart one year. I have several Kline cars and a couple of engines. I never followed the lawsuits exactly.

jlong

Postby jlong » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:44 pm

After litigating everything under the sun, MTH provoked Lionel to become lawsuit happy. So it's really MTH's fault.
John Long

One nation under Josh with ozone an magnetraction for all

G3750

Postby G3750 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:32 pm

jlong wrote:After litigating everything under the sun, MTH provoked Lionel to become lawsuit happy. So it's really MTH's fault.

:lol: Uh, not really.

One has to question the judgment of Maury Klein in:
  • Over-extending himself to the manufacturer on toy train costs; he was never going to be able to pay that off
  • Selling very nice scale locomotives and cars at razor thin margins (or even at a loss on some of them)
  • Hiring Bob Grubba who was already under a cloud because of the Lionel / MTH locomotive duplication lawsuit. Any way you cut it, bringing him on board was dubious move at best.

This was self-inflicted, pure and simple.

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”