Chris Webster

Lionel Trains Retail Store Tour

Postby Chris Webster » Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:40 pm

Lionel Trains Retail Store Tour! Concord, NC

Watching the video saved me a trip to Concord. :D

HONDO74

Re: Lionel Trains Retail Store Tour

Postby HONDO74 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:04 pm

Looks like they made a major investment in setting up that store.

And a massive inventory of product. I like watching the layout run.

That layout kinda looks like the one that was at FAO Schwarz in New York a few years ago

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:21 pm

Didn’t Murph work on one of the layouts at FAO or Macy’s, probably a decade or so ago?

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:28 pm

I think he refurbished the one at FAO. That's what reminded me of the one in the video.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:43 am

Wow! What fun and Will and his girl did a nice job on the video. 1441.00 for the Greenbrier really looked like a good deal considering some of Lionel’s current pricing. He mentioned 30% off on some inventory, too bad it’s a little far for me to drive. :D

Mitch

Postby Mitch » Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:08 am

Greg, just hire about 10 guys to go up and do a smash & grab. Pay 'em pennies on the dollar. :lol: One of them might have what you want. :wink:
If you agree with the Progressives, it's freedom of speech. If you disagree, it's hate speech. There are no alternatives.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:37 am

Mitch wrote:Greg, just hire about 10 guys to go up and do a smash & grab. Pay 'em pennies on the dollar. :lol: One of them might have what you want. :wink:

:lol: I don’t think they even lock you up for anything under 900$

jlong

Postby jlong » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:36 pm

Neil & George need to see this. Lionel seals the grave. MTH engines with Lionel Legacy!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
John Long

One nation under Josh with ozone an magnetraction for all

G3750

Postby G3750 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:59 am

jlong wrote:Neil & George need to see this. Lionel seals the grave. MTH engines with Lionel Legacy!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not so sure. Back in 2006, MTH introduced those beautiful PRR I1s Decapods (PS2) in their catalog. I had a pre-order for one until I gave up on DCS and cancelled it. Since then, no one brought out a Decapod until Lionel introduced them in their previous catalog. Those are MTH shells running Legacy, which is about as good as it gets (although very pricey). Mike has been selling his Premier tooling to all comers (Lionel, Atlas).

I don't think MTH is dead yet. Mike's chaotic "going out of business" odyssey (2020-2021) resulted in an alternative (and profitable) business model. Frankly, I think he fell into **** and came out smelling like a rose. He's a partner (maybe the controlling one) in 3 businesses - MTH Trains, DCS Sales & Service :lol: , and Parts. He gets to ditch the catalog, warehouse, inventory, QC (not that there was much of that), and warranty (now carried out by the stores with parts paid for by MTH, no compensation for repair time), and he goes to the bank regularly. And he gets to use up all the inventory and remaining tooling making special runs for the big distributors. In the process he also killed those train stores who were foolish enough to put all their eggs in the MTH basket. "Hey Flounder, you f***** up, you trusted us." :roll:

No, he's not dead yet. That would take a wooden stake through the heart (and a ton of garlic).

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

Neil

Postby Neil » Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:20 am

Clearly not remotely dead yet. But totally transformed from one of the two major players in three rail O gauge to another fringe player. Still supplying locomotives and rolling stock to existing hobbyists. MTH appears to have essentially vanished from all but a much reduced number of storefront hobby stores with no sets produced for many years, and high volume sales entirely a thing of the past. A boutique operation.

The field is pretty much left to Lionel for whatever exists of higher volume sales, full range of products, new tooling, innovation, etc. Mike Wolf certainly had a substantial impact on the hobby, challenged the leader effectively and made himself a small fortune. But he never achieved his dream of owning Lionel, and MTH will possibly disappear when his remaining few employees retire. Maybe the parts operation will continue for a good while as Mike Reagan is relatively young and energetic. But I'd guess MTH itself as a supplier of locomotives, rolling stock, transformers, etc. and the DCS operation in the midwest will likely dwindle or die in the coming decade or so. Time will tell.
Neil

E7

Postby E7 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:10 pm

All this stuff is almost as amusing as back in the days of the BIG lawsuit over on OGR. :mrgreen:

jlong

Postby jlong » Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:33 pm

E7 wrote:All this stuff is almost as amusing as back in the days of the BIG lawsuit over on OGR. :mrgreen:

You mean like Neil poking at MTH foamers with the truth and watching the place implode with mach 5 butthurt?? That was hilarious to say the least. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
John Long

One nation under Josh with ozone an magnetraction for all

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:49 pm

As best I recall it was pretty much ALL foamers. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:12 pm

I think it's more interesting to compare Lionel's retail approach to Menard's retail approach. I wonder which one sells more trains per sf of store devoted to trains?

G3750

Postby G3750 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:17 am

Chris Webster wrote:I think it's more interesting to compare Lionel's retail approach to Menard's retail approach. I wonder which one sells more trains per sf of store devoted to trains?

I think that's a great question, but don't forget that Lionel's starter sets are very popular. If my experience at Hobby Express was any indicator, the starter sets are way more popular (and affordable) than your high-end, display case locomotive. In that regard, Menards may sell a lot of cars and track, but they don't have starter sets. In fact, except for a couple of "beta" locomotives, they don't have engines for sale at all in any sort of volume.

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”