Lionel Trains Retail Store Tour

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
HONDO74

Re: Lionel Trains Retail Store Tour

Postby HONDO74 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:09 am

I have two Menard s stores within a 35 minute drive from where I live. I have been to one of them several times. i bought a Craftsman tool box from them. I bought it from Menard s rather than Lowe's because this one had a hardwood top on it that I use as a work bench. The train items are not out year round. Shelf space is too valuable for items that don't sell that much.

Menard's is a home improvement store like Lowe's and Home Depot. The last time I was in there I noted they now have a large section of the store that has groceries. They also have an area where they sell clothes and shoes. Kinda looks like a wanabe Walmart the also sells lumber :wink:

As noted they don't sell starter sets or engines. There big sellers are the buildings. If they try to sell engines and starter sets with transformers. It will be a big disaster.... How so. Remember a few years back when both Walmart and Target sold trains at Christmas time. That tuned out to be a disaster because of their return policy. Parent buys a Christmas present for the kids. They play with it on Christmas day. Get board because it doesn't do enough and a pain to set up, they go back to playing with the video games. The parent packs it back up and returns it. The same thing thing with happen to Menard's

I also don't think the Lionel store will last that long. It's in a shopping mall and those are in decline traffic wise. It's also high rent. They will have to sell a lot of product just to pay the rent. They won't get the casual shopper because the items are too expensive. I could be wrong, just have to wait and see. Just my opinion about it....

Neil

Postby Neil » Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:30 pm

Some malls are high traffic even today (like the Concord Mall) and some are being converted to new uses such as health care, housing and similar functions. Locally, we have one large mall that is thriving and one that is being transformed into new uses.

Lionel sells sets, track, power supplies, etc. at Concord, and is opening a second store in Nashville, so they obviously think the model is working and probably at least breaking even. And they are keeping toy trains in the public eye, which they haven't been for a long time, certainly not year round. More like the Lionel show room in NYC than the Christmas displays at Macy's in that regard. Thus, as the last full line vendor of toy trains in three rail O gauge, they are, out of self interest, keeping the hobby alive for the time being. Menards is not remotely comparable at this point, and one expects that when the founder dies or retires, the toy train line may well pass on with him.
Neil

DaveJfr0

Postby DaveJfr0 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:58 am

They've had this storefront in this mall for at least 8 years...now whether or not it at least breaks even, only Lionel knows.
Focus: 2R O-Scale, SOU/SCL 1967-1972
Blog: http://davejfr0.blogspot.com/

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:59 am

DaveJfr0 wrote:They've had this storefront in this mall for at least 8 years...now whether or not it at least breaks even, only Lionel knows.

Interesting. I had o look it up. According to Lionel it opened August 6, 2018
http://www.lionel.com/articles/Lionel-M ... ord-Mills/

If it has been there for 5 years it survived the pandemic so they should be able to stay there for many years to come. That's good news. I thought the store had just opened.

We used to have 3 hobby shops in Springfield Mo close to where I live that sold trains and had some small layouts. All gone now. And I keep hearing about many of the old hobby shops closing.

v8vega

Postby v8vega » Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:20 am

The Trainshack in Burbank CA is still going but as far as I know all other hobby stores around are gone.
No Menards here but thanks for telling about them.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:28 am

v8vega wrote:The Trainshack in Burbank CA is still going but as far as I know all other hobby stores around are gone.
No Menards here but thanks for telling about them.

From what I have read on other train forums Menards is not shipping any of their train items to California because of Proposition 65. Californians voted 65 percent for prop 65. Apparently everything in Calif causes cancer :wink: :wink:

DaveJfr0

Postby DaveJfr0 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:39 pm

HONDO74 wrote:
DaveJfr0 wrote:They've had this storefront in this mall for at least 8 years...now whether or not it at least breaks even, only Lionel knows.

Interesting. I had o look it up. According to Lionel it opened August 6, 2018
http://www.lionel.com/articles/Lionel-M ... ord-Mills/

If it has been there for 5 years it survived the pandemic so they should be able to stay there for many years to come. That's good news. I thought the store had just opened.

We used to have 3 hobby shops in Springfield Mo close to where I live that sold trains and had some small layouts. All gone now. And I keep hearing about many of the old hobby shops closing.

Ah, they must have had something else in the mall before they turned it into the flagship store. The Google reviews for their store in the mall go back 8 years.

The store could also be a loss leader, or maybe they get a cut on rent to act more as an "attraction" than a full-fledged retail outlet. In any case, hope it attracts those who aren't already into model trains, into the hobby.
Focus: 2R O-Scale, SOU/SCL 1967-1972
Blog: http://davejfr0.blogspot.com/

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:30 pm

DaveJfr0 wrote:The store could also be a loss leader

The Charlotte store might actually be profitable. It is only a mile or so from the Speedway and Lionel sells a big line diecast Nascar flatcar loads: Lionel Racing

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:59 am

I would love to visit this store. Unfortunately it's 900 miles from where I live.

While looking up info on the store I ran across another video tour of the store. This one is longer.
The person that did this one was in the area for a LCCA convention.
Visit to the Lionel Trains Retail Store - Concord Mills Mall, Concord, North Carolina
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnhkRVwmoFY

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”