bluelinec4

Re: Weirton Steel Open Hearth in O Scale

Postby bluelinec4 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:17 am

Wow George that is awesome

G3750

Postby G3750 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:44 pm

Many thanks for all the kind words.

Surprisingly (or maybe not), it isn't done yet. In the mentally exhausting aftermath of the sprint to the SMMSIG meet, I have been considering my next moves with this model. There are a number of things that need to be done:
  • One of the lighted ladle surfaces failed (probably a loose wire, but I can't reach it). I will need to re-do this.
  • The ventilator roof needs to be permanently attached to the model.
  • The Pouring Floor sides (behind the inspection platform) need to be permanently installed.
  • The Pouring Floor sides above the inspection platform need to be installed and made removable.
  • The Main Building's roof must be installed; I've planned for it to be removable.
  • The end walls of the Pouring extension and the main building must be installed. I'm not sure what portion of these will be removable (yet).
  • In keeping with the KISS principle, I have decided to remove the Arduino. The rush to get simplified wiring done for the meet forced me into a Rubicon type of situation. I really can't undo it without major surgery and re-wiring. And it would require rigorous testing of both hardware and software. Been there, done that in my professional career - we're going to pass in favor of simple and reliable operations (SPST switches). :wink: Not to worry, I have another project in mind for the Arduino and it will be way cooler! :lol:
  • The teeming crane was a rush job; it needs some details, diamond treadplate walkways, and railings topside.
  • Need to add the bailer (ladle hooks) stand (it's done but not installed).
  • Smokestacks need their ladders and safety cages.

So yeah, still a lot of work to do. And I need to get this done soon. The next big push for the layout is construction of the peninsula housing North Weirton. That effort starts around October York, so the Open Hearth and the accompanying Weirton Steel track work needs to be in place.

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

G3750

Postby G3750 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:37 pm

Since my last report on August 10, work on the Open Hearth has continued. The first step was to clean up the workshop and train room, which accurately resembled a bombed out building. It took the 2-3 weeks just to get the area to state where work could resume. After some experimentation, I decided to use magnets and small sheets of tin to fasten the walls and roof sections to the framework. Describing the effort was accomplished in one sentence; actually turning that statement into reality took a month. In the process, the model consumed a great many Evergreen 4530 metal siding sheets, Plastruct 91512 roof sections, and long Evergreen square and rectangular rods.

I am pleased to report that all of this effort resulting in the winning of a Structures Merit Award today. The model scored 112 out of 125 possible points.

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”