Plastruct Tubing & Elbows - Is there a trick to this?

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
G3750

Plastruct Tubing & Elbows - Is there a trick to this?

Postby G3750 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:10 pm

I don't know about you, but I'm having massive problems making Plastruct tubing and elbows fit together to show a nice appearance. Components of the same size (supposedly) have badly sized plugs and connection points. They don't take CA very well and I'm fairly unhappy with the way they end up looking. :(

Am I missing something? Any suggestions as to how to get them to fit together better? I'm looking for some help here.

Thanks,

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

Chris Rock

Re: Plastruct Tubing & Elbows - Is there a trick to this?

Postby Chris Rock » Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:35 pm

I wouldn't think Plastruct would work with CA. I'd think you'd want to use Plastic Weld.

G3750

Postby G3750 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:54 pm

Chris Rock wrote:I wouldn't think Plastruct would work with CA. I'd think you'd want to use Plastic Weld.

Hmm. Well, there is a lot of my structures built with medium CA. But I could try the Plastic Weld on the tubing and see if it performs better.

Thank you.

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

Chris Rock

Postby Chris Rock » Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:35 pm

Me too, until I started building stuff out of Plastruct and Evergreen. Good luck.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:42 pm

Are your cuts clean and tight? I don’t have much experience with plastruct however like bonding any mediums the more surface coverage you get with adhesives the better. Maybe priming the cuts with alcohol or lacquer thinner.

jlong

Postby jlong » Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:59 pm

NWSL Chopper and True Sander work well for me when cutting and end prepping shapes.
John Long

One nation under Josh with ozone an magnetraction for all

G3750

Postby G3750 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:21 pm

OK, I think I solved my problem.

Here's what I've discovered:

• These elbows and other fittings are appropriate for the Butyrate tubing, not Fineline styrene tubing. It's a subtle difference and explains my difficulty. And the styrene tubing doesn't have fittings for it (at least not that I've discovered in my older print catalog).
  • To fix my problem, I can use a piece of 3/16" styrene tubing inside the 1/4" styrene tubing. The nipple for the elbow will fit inside it and make for a more snug connection.
  • Plastic Weld helps

George

—Katy Faust

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”