Weekend Photos - July 2023

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
HONDO74

Re: Weekend Photos - July 2023

Postby HONDO74 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:15 pm

healey36 wrote:
The wife posted a pic on Facebook and got a bzillion likes and many comments, including one from the family we know who used to live in the house. The mom asked to buy it, but I said just come by and pick it up. A lot of people talked about those cardboard houses that you could buy at the five-and-dime around the holidays...I'm glad it struck a chord with people.

Hope everyone has a great 4th!

If you give this one away to the person who used to live in that house will you make another one to replace it. ??

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:08 pm

I might, so I need to take some good measurements so that it can be replicated. I can think of a handful of changes I'd make if I was to build another.

I have a second partially complete "O-scale" house, started a decade or so ago in the style of my adjacent neighbor's place. This one is an arts-n-craft type bungalow. I tried researching it at one point to see if it might be one of the kit-house-on-a-flat-car types sold by Sears-Roebuck, Monkey-Wards, or one of the other big catalog retailers from the 1930s. According to the county land records, the house was built around 1940. Here's where I left off:

To finish this, I'd likely have to try to take it apart, square it up, make a new roof for it or refit this one, along with numerous other changes. This is a quite dumbed down version of what the "prototype" looks like. That upstairs dormer is actually a second floor porch, and there are more windows across the front porch/entryway. Definitely inspiration rather than replication. Certainly do-able, though.

Before tackling this, however, I want to get some of the backlog of tinplate projects cleared up.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:43 pm

RBH29 wrote:Healey,
"The mom asked to buy it, but I said just come by and pick it up." That's very generous of you. Nice!

They are a terrifically nice family. We used to have a neighborhood Christmas get-together here at the house every year, put out some food, have a few beers, run the layout with the kids, and other stuff. Just before the plague hit, the mom's dad died and they sold the house and moved back to the farm to help her mom out. We were terribly sad to see them go, especially their youngest, Grace, a lovely little girl with some health issues. We rarely see them now, but they are missed.

The 'hood's turned over quite a bit in the last 3-4 years and now my wife and I are nearly the oldest here on the hill....maybe we're going to have to resurrect that Christmas party.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:33 pm

Soviet IS-II, rolling down a street somewhere:

A 15mm (1/100-scale) kit in resin and white-metal. That guy looks horrified that his tank is about to run over a giant dog-hair...

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:59 am

J. S. Bach wrote:
healey36 wrote:In the big box of stuff recently dropped off was a Lionel set #98 from 1925-1927. It's headed by a 253 electric profile loco. It's pretty rough:
...snip...

The fact that it has survived at all in such reasonable shape is amazing in its own right.

Here's a pic of the complete set:

There are a lot of loose/bent/missing bits, and at least three or four places where tabs have broken off or solder joints have given way. The good news...the 253's wheels look okay :lol:

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:58 pm

A good friend had to tear down his layout as he is moving to Florida. He’s an excellent modeler and I was obliged to help him put what he wasn’t taking to good use. He left me 220 corn stalks. Planting 1:1 corn looks much easier than 1/4 scale corn.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:06 pm

That's some very nice corn. Is that the stuff made by Scenic Express or did you guys craft that yourselves. Regardless, very realistic...nice job.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:39 am

healey36 wrote:That's some very nice corn. Is that the stuff made by Scenic Express or did you guys craft that yourselves. Regardless, very realistic...nice job.

Thank you! I believe they are from JTT scenery. You can find them on eBay for about 8-10$ per 28.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:12 am

Thanks for the source. A bit of those would look great along a backdrop that features a scene including a cornfield. The corn hasn't gone to tassel here yet, but I expect to be seeing a lot of the 1:1-scale version shortly.

When I first looked at that stuff, Greg, I thought maybe you'd made it using shavings from beneath your table-saw or thickness planer :lol:

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:30 am

When I first looked at that stuff, Greg, I thought maybe you'd made it using shavings from beneath your table-saw or thickness planer :lol:

I’m not that ambitious. Planting it was a chore by itself. However it looks like a round toothpick wrapped with some sort of green paper and then some how sliced and peeled back to form the leaves. The Chinese are crafty. Once I get the sock drawer organized I’ll dissect one and get back to you. :lol:

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:06 pm

Okay, the 253's body has been removed, stripped of trim (except the handrails), then overnight in a bucket of diluted dishwashing soap. Usually this will remove all or most of the paint, but it doesn't seem to be working in this case. I'll leave it in there for another day or two, but probably going to turn to a purpose-made chemical stripper.

In the meantime, I inspected the chassis and motor, and all looks relatively good. This may have been rewired at some point, as the wiring looks like it has plastic-type insulation on it. I would have thought that, given its age, the wiring insulation might have been cloth. Regardless, the existing wiring now has some cracks in the insulation and should really be replaced. I might opt to rewrap it with some shrink-type plastic insulation I have here somewhere; haven't decided yet.

The good news is that when I put it on the test track, it ran nicely (even with cracked wiring and pick-up rollers in tough condition). It has a manual forward-reverse, and that worked fine as well. I gave the internals, especially the commutator, a shot from my stash of Radio Shack Control/Contact Cleaner & Lubricant. Some folks say you shouldn't use the stuff, but I've had good luck with it.

The frame looks to be in good shape, so just a thorough cleaning and polish called for there.

Back to the body-work next. I might hit Sarge up for some assistance...his solder skills far exceed mine.

Norton

Postby Norton » Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:29 am

Just about finished with a Labelle car I have been building.

Pete

RBH29

Postby RBH29 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:05 am

That's gorgeous Pete!

webenda

Postby webenda » Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:30 pm

Very nice looking car, Norton. That Kadee coupler looks so nice without that thing hanging down from it. One brack hose is enough!
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:56 pm

If you're a purist, look away; otherwise, here's the stripped cab of the Lionel 253:

Still a bit more smudges of paint to remove, but not much. Most of the dark blotches are tarnish on the tin plating. I gotta make sure all of the paint's gone in the areas to be soldered (where the tabs are broken on the cab ends). I got most of the worst bends and dents straightened up. Last step before solder is a thorough wash using some strong soap.

Beautiful job on that Strasburg parlor car.

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”