Harrisburg Narrow Gauge Summer meet

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
gregj410

Harrisburg Narrow Gauge Summer meet

Postby gregj410 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:42 pm

Im posting this here because I really don’t think it belongs on the 2 rail O scale forum even though this is 2 rail O scale, but narrow gauge. I went to the narrow gauge show this weekend in Harrisburg. It was a 2 day show and I went both days. Bar mills, Berkshire Valley were 2 of the larger vendors there. Lots of little independent dealers too. They also had several clinics, mold making and figure painting just to mention a few. They had a sizable On3 dead rail layout in one of the back rooms, where they had a really cool Wye for reversing engines. Here’s a few pics

J. S. Bach

Re: Harrisburg Narrow Gauge Summer meet

Postby J. S. Bach » Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:16 pm

Nice. Someday I might be able to attend.

G3750

Postby G3750 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:48 am

Very nice! Where was it held?

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

Norton

Postby Norton » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:24 am

Very cool show, even though I don’t do narrow gauge. I was there Friday early. Especially liked the clinics. The deadrail guy in the back room was running a small shay on a sheet of paper. I had been to Al’s show a few years ago when it was in Lycoming but this was much bigger.
I plan to attend the 2 rail standard gauge show next year, hopefully similar but with more stuff I could use.

Pete

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:44 am

G3750 wrote:Very nice! Where was it held?

George

New Hope Church on Colonial club drive.

Pete,
I was at the 2 rail show in April if that’s the one you are referring to. Lots of Narrow gauge there too although definitely a 2 rail standard presence. That’s where I met Al and was introduced to this show.

Do you think there will come a day when 2 rail standard could become dead rail? With battery technology advancing I’m sure you could bury batteries in rolling stock. My guess is it would take quite a bit if power to run a large locomotive with a reasonable consist.

Norton

Postby Norton » Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:25 pm

2 and 3 rail deadrail is already here. I am actually a three railer but looking at 2 rail to convert to three rail as little new in three rail has been available lately. Al’s 2 rail show is the one I was referring to.
I recently installed a Blunami to an MTH engine. While I could power it off a battery I am using track power. Getting reliable power to a three rail engine isn’t an issue as it can be with two rail. I modeled HO for many years so can appreciate the problems with dirty wheels and track.
I have not followed standard track signal DCC, never got around to installing DCC, but believe Bluerail among others off solutions for deadrail.

BTW I have seen three layouts that Al has built including two three rail and one On30.

If you go over to the OGR DCC forum there are a number of threads by folks building deadrail engines.

Pete

E7

Postby E7 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:33 am

Dead rail has been around for SEVERAL years. A gent by the name of Andy Romano had his pike (The Ironbound Railroad) in one or more issues of O Scale Trains. 2 rail is 2 rail regardless of the gauge!

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”