Log bunk question

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
gregj410

Log bunk question

Postby gregj410 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:42 pm

So I picked up these log bunk kits that were made before the internet, no instructions. One might say, well how hard can it be to figure out? There are 8 sticks of wood and 16 angled brackets so obviously it’s 2 per stick.

But what’s the bracket orientation? The right option makes more sense as it would keep the logs from rolling off. However the brackets have what appears to be a bolt casting detail(second pic). Wouldn’t the maker have added that detail with the intention of it being seen? So then the left option would make more sense to me. Thoughts?

dice multiplayer

Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Log bunk question

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:51 am

Odd.

Most I've seen are set to have the tip of the angle pointed up, but your point about the bolt detail is makes these something else.

Wonder if parts were missing?
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:58 am

Wonder if parts were missing?

Doesn’t appear to be as I have several of the same kits with the same parts.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:07 am

Okay then....

Wonder if they snapped up by Wiseman and/or there are any similar products on the Wiseman site?

Bit of rabbit hole.....

https://wisemanmodelservices.com/O-Scal ... STOCK-KITS
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:14 am

I think the assembly in the bottom left of your first photo is the correct way to assemble them.

The assembly on the right side of the photo seems wrong to me because the weight of the logs would crush the L-shape metal part flat. (The sticks are there to support the weight of the logs, while the metal brackets are just to keep the logs from starting to roll off the sticks.)

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:40 am

I'm unfamiliar with the term "log bunks", so I very well may be stating the obvious, but a saw-mill friend of mine suggested this configuration (which would equate to two per attachment):

Horizontal

Vertical

He uses the vertical configuration as uprights on the sides of the bed of his truck when he hauls logs to the mill.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:23 pm

Thank you for your input. I like Paul’s friends idea but mathematically it doesn’t work out, unless maybe I do a modified version like below.

Chris’ idea makes more sense to me and the math works and I get more bunks. I’m not settled on any one thing and this isn’t life changing stuff but the curiosity is killing me on their thought process when they made these kits.

image upload

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:59 am

Okay, so you'd have 2 log buggies and still need the angled bits to secure the logs, and then some sort of car bolster to mount trucks under both buggies.

You can get the log bunks from Wiseman; bolsters you can make yourself or buy commercial ones.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:06 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Okay, so you'd have 2 log buggies and still need the angled bits to secure the logs, and then some sort of car bolster to mount trucks under both buggies.

You can get the log bunks from Wiseman; bolsters you can make yourself or buy commercial ones.

Now you’ve brought a whole new level of complexity to this problem :lol: my original plan for these was to keep logs ready for milling up off the ground.

Maybe they are designed to be used the way you’ve suggested. Pandora’s box :lol:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:50 am

gregj410 wrote: Pandora’s box

Quite possibly - been there too many times to count. Another reason why I've near completely stopped buying much of anything other than real immediate need in this hobby. Project avoidance!

webenda

Postby webenda » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:12 pm

I know what a log bunk is. Maybe I can help.
Here is a nice design.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:32 pm

webenda wrote:I know what a log bunk is. Maybe I can help.
Here is a nice design.

Looking for the rolly eyes emoji :lol:

webenda

Postby webenda » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:32 pm

Here is Russell Belliveau using his log bunk.
https://www.google.com/search?q=log+bun ... 9jUvOXNOK0
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

webenda

Postby webenda » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:35 pm

Here is an end view of his log bunk.
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

webenda

Postby webenda » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:39 pm

Instead of the wood boards on the outside of the bunk, you could use your metal angles on the inside to hold the bunk together.
I did not put a metal angle on the cross beam (bottom of bunk) because it would confuse the picture.
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”