Weekend Photos - April 2023

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
healey36

Re: Weekend Photos - April 2023

Postby healey36 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:12 am

Wburg Pete wrote:Healey,
Thanks for posting the photos for me!!
Pete

You're very welcome, Pete...they are lovely photos of a great layout and I'm very glad to see them.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:08 am

Went to York with an empty list and still managed to blow a couple hundred bucks...ugh. Proof that intervention is likely required.

Found a decent Flyer 635 for Hondo for not much money:

I think he's planning on converting this to three-rail trucks and knuckle couplers at some point, but I'll let him chime in on that. They only made these diecast versions for a couple of years immediately after the war, than went to a stamped steel chassis.

Only a couple of the parts guys showed up, and by the time I got to them, most of the items I was looking for were gone or out-of-stock. That was disappointing, as that was the main reason I went.

Gorgeous weather, though. Never a bad day at York.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:17 am

A few other items, a near-mint 2657 caboose and another 2620 searchlight car in search of a replacement lens, rewire, and a good cleaning:

Not sure who made the "UNCOUPLE HERE" signs, maybe Marx. Thought they were neat.

Wburg Pete

Postby Wburg Pete » Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:11 pm

Nice York finds!! It has been so long since I attended York that I forgot it was this week. :(

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:18 pm

healey36 wrote:Went to York with an empty list and still managed to blow a couple hundred bucks...ugh. Proof that intervention is likely required.

Found a decent Flyer 635 for Hondo for not much money:

I think he's planning on converting this to three-rail trucks and knuckle couplers at some point, but I'll let him chime in on that. They only made these diecast versions for a couple of years immediately after the war, than went to a stamped steel chassis.

I only plan to replace the link coupler with the knuckle coupler to match all my other postwar S gauge that I have that has been converted. When flyer dropped the link somewhere in early 50s they came out with a kit to convert the link to a knuckle. I think you can buy those knuckles by the dozen on ebay.

The diecast chassis was also used on several other early postwar cars.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:29 pm

Thanks for the clarification, and I do remember you telling me about the kits for changing out the couplers. I'll put the 634 back on the list for October.

Now that I really look at that 635, that roof I suspected as being a replacement surely is - it’s missing the stack! Ugh, I think we can find a better example in October, or even online. There’s a number of them out there now.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:23 am

I've been working on reconditioning this Lionel 252 for awhile. It's still intermittently "sparky" when you crank it up, typically a sign the rollers are dirty or pitted. I gave them a decent polish and they don't look bad, but likely time to just go ahead and replace them and see if that solves it.

Looks like a forest of grade-crossing warning signage in the background. Oy, still a lot of excess crap on the layout.

I stopped by Carver's in Gettysburg yesterday to drop off a couple projects. I wasn't sure if he was still doing repairs, but he is, although the backlog is daunting. While there, we had a look at some stuff he had in the shop. I've been searching for some of the sprung contacts that were used on the early Flying Yankee, and Don had one (I need three). He said he'd keep looking, but I'm guessing I'll have to use a couple of the ones used on the 752. Those are a bit longer, so they'll require some drilling/machining to get them sized to fit the smaller FY vestibule.

Anyway, it was great seeing Don. You go there thinking you'll be in-and-out in 15 minutes, and next thing you know, you've been there 90 minutes. My kids always loved to visit...good memories.

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:02 pm

healey36 wrote: ...snip...
I stopped by Carver's in Gettysburg yesterday to drop off a couple projects. I ...snip...
Anyway, it was great seeing Don. You go there thinking you'll be in-and-out in 15 minutes, and next thing you know, you've been there 90 minutes. My kids always loved to visit...good memories.

Is that the shop west of the circle on US-30? If so, I have been in there and have to agree with you.

Gilbert's is also nice; and, occasionally has some older two-rail available. Last July I ended up with a complete EP Alexander NH EP-3/PRR GG1 two-rail drive train still in its original wood shipping box.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:09 pm

Yes, Don's shop is out on Buford Avenue (Rte. 30) heading west as you ascend Seminary Ridge. You could spend days in there...you'd be broke, but you'd have a good time.

Never been to Tommy Gilbert's shop, but wasted a lot of my ill-spent youth in the old Gilbert's shop out on Steinwehr Avenue. I can remember staring up at the wall of brass drooling. Bought a lot of N-gauge gear in there, along with a ton of plastic models. Still have a bunch of unbuilt kits with the little yellow Gilbert's price-sticker on them.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:58 pm

healey36 wrote:Never been to Tommy Gilbert's shop, but wasted a lot of my ill-spent youth in the old Gilbert's shop out on Steinwehr Avenue. I can remember staring up at the wall of brass drooling.

Been there, done that, etc. Never had the money when the shop was out on Steinwehr, but I still made the long walk cross town to look at everything.

Have not been to Tommy's in a while; not much in there last time that I could see worth the time. Used to be a good source of scale lumber, special shapes brass, and other scratchbuilding supplies.

Only shop left really for supplies is Main Line over in Blue Ridge Summit, but my last trip there found only a smattering of brass, wood, and styrene supplies that I needed. And of course very Arttista figure I wanted to get was out of stock, too.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:30 am

Mainline is a good shop, but terrible for the impulse buyer such as myself (a recovering N-gauger). I usually can find what I'm looking for in there, although I wish they'd add a rack of Tamiya acrylics to the paint section.

I've got my eye on one of those MTH LED-adorned Christmas trolleys...why, you might ask? Yeah, I'm not sure :lol:

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:05 pm

3rd rail DM&IR 2-10-4 in the yard
upload pic

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:07 pm

I've got my eye on one of those MTH LED-adorned Christmas trolleys...why, you might ask? Yeah, I'm not sure :lol:

That’s great! I’ve been there more than once. You can’t figure out why you want it but you do :lol:

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:32 pm

gregj410 wrote:3rd rail DM&IR 2-10-4 in the yard
upload pic

That's a beast of a model! Must weigh a ton...

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:56 pm

healey36 wrote:Mainline is a good shop, but terrible for the impulse buyer such as myself (a recovering N-gauger). I usually can find what I'm looking for in there, although I wish they'd add a rack of Tamiya acrylics to the paint section.

That Christmas trolley would look great on your table top glitter tunnel layout.

MTH Review - Christmas Bump-n-Go Trolley 30-5200 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1qzXFTChcc

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”