Oatey EXTRA SPECIAL MEDIUM BLACK ABS CEMENT

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
webenda

Oatey EXTRA SPECIAL MEDIUM BLACK ABS CEMENT

Postby webenda » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:30 am

Yesterday I received an eBay purchase that was broken in shipment.

I have been using Oatey extra special medium black ABS cement to repair broken ABS model trains.
I tried acetone but I am too clumsy to avoid getting it all over the model. If I just wet one piece, it is dry before I can get it into place. If I try to put a drop on the fracture line after putting the parts together, disaster, acetone runs down the model! The Oatey is thick and gives me about one minute to get the pieces together. I touched the brake stand to the applicator then held it in place on the flatcar for about 15 seconds then put a clamp on it. This morning, 8 hours later, wiggling the part flexes the body of the flat car (meaning the brake stand is solvent welded firmly in place.)

WARNING--Read the SDS sheet before using-- https://www.oatey.com/products/oatey-ex ... 1138663713
The product contains Methyl ethyl ketone and Acetone.
Last edited by webenda on Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

healey36

Re: Oatey EXTRA SPECIAL MEDIUM BLACK ABS CEMENT

Postby healey36 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:53 pm

Thanks for the cement tip. The car and load looks great; who's the manufacturer of the automobiles? Those look really sharp!

webenda

Postby webenda » Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:37 pm

healey36 wrote:...who's the manufacturer of the automobiles? Those look really sharp!

Rextoys
Fabrique En France
Ford V8 1935
1/43
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

v8vega

Postby v8vega » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:51 am

Where do you get Oatly ABS cement?

webenda

Postby webenda » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:22 pm

v8vega wrote:Where do you get Oatly ABS cement?

I got a 4-ounce can at :
Lawless-Smith True Value Supply
979 W Steve Wariner Dr
Russell Springs, KY 42642

You can get it at:
Ferguson Plumbing
554 Easy St
Simi Valley, CA 93065

or

The Home Depot
12960 Foothill Blvd
San Fernando, CA 91340

i.e. any place that sells plumbing supplies.
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:30 pm

Looked like Walmart was a source.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:37 am

I've got a broken toy catapult here that's made from vinyl-plastic. I've never found a glue that will bond this stuff. I've tried a number of different cements but none have worked. A recent attempt to use Loctite GO2 failed, along with a few other CA-based adhesives. I was going to try some epoxy next, but Sarge suggested just a repair made using a strip of styrene/wood/metal and a few small screws might be the only option. I see Loctite makes a cement suitable for vinyl fabric and plastic...I'm wondering if that might be a good last-ditch alternative.

Easy enough but a bit fiddly, I think, to fashion a couple thin metal strips and mother them in on either side.

webenda

Postby webenda » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:28 pm

healey36 wrote:I've got a broken toy catapult here that's made from vinyl-plastic. I've never found a glue that will bond this stuff. I've tried a number of different cements but none have worked. A recent attempt to use Loctite GO2 failed, along with a few other CA-based adhesives. I was going to try some epoxy next, but Sarge suggested just a repair made using a strip of styrene/wood/metal and a few small screws might be the only option. I see Loctite makes a cement suitable for vinyl fabric and plastic...I'm wondering if that might be a good last-ditch alternative.

Easy enough but a bit fiddly, I think, to fashion a couple thin metal strips and mother them in on either side.

Vinyl (polyvinyl chloride or PVC), is the world's most versatile plastic, used to make everything from food wrap to auto body parts.

If you prefer to weld it you could try a can of Oatey® Regular Clear PVC Cement.

Nasty stuff, it has Furan, Tetrahydro; 2-Propanone; Cyclohexanone; Polyvinyl chloride; Methyl ethyl ketone; and Colloidal silicon dioxide.
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

healey36

Postby healey36 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:56 pm

webenda wrote:Nasty stuff, it has Furan, Tetrahydro; 2-Propanone; Cyclohexanone; Polyvinyl chloride; Methyl ethyl ketone; and Colloidal silicon dioxide.

Suddenly Sarge's suggestion looks optimal :lol:

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:10 pm

webenda wrote:
healey36 wrote:I've got a broken toy catapult here that's made from vinyl-plastic. I've never found a glue that will bond this stuff. I've tried a number of different cements but none have worked. A recent attempt to use Loctite GO2 failed, along with a few other CA-based adhesives. I was going to try some epoxy next, but Sarge suggested just a repair made using a strip of styrene/wood/metal and a few small screws might be the only option. I see Loctite makes a cement suitable for vinyl fabric and plastic...I'm wondering if that might be a good last-ditch alternative.

Vinyl (polyvinyl chloride or PVC), is the world's most versatile plastic, used to make everything from food wrap to auto body parts.

If you prefer to weld it you could try a can of Oatey® Regular Clear PVC Cement.

Nasty stuff, it has Furan, Tetrahydro; 2-Propanone; Cyclohexanone; Polyvinyl chloride; Methyl ethyl ketone; and Colloidal silicon dioxide.

Unless you are planning on eating this stuff or you're a glue sniffer trying to get high. There is nothing that is going to harm you. Worked with most all of this in Aircraft plastic fabrication for many years.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:27 pm

webenda wrote:Nasty stuff, it has Furan, Tetrahydro; 2-Propanone; Cyclohexanone; Polyvinyl chloride; Methyl ethyl ketone; and Colloidal silicon dioxide.

Nah....pretty light weight stuff - mainly common solvents and filler materials "weld" is together.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:59 am

I tried a bit of J B Weld "steel" epoxy on the vinyl-plastic catapult; it seems to be holding, at least for now. We'll see how it holds up when the kid blows in on Monday. If not, will drop back to Sarge's suggestion of mothering in a strip of metal or styrene and a couple screws.

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”