Gargraves track is the standard on big club layouts

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
v8vega

Gargraves track is the standard on big club layouts

Postby v8vega » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:28 pm

Looks good, allows flexibility of design because of flex to any curve, Not too expensive and clubs often have a lot of track, probably the cheapest. Ross switches looks like it so looks good and they make all kinds of switches, and probably the best as far as not derailing and smooth operation.

ScaleCraft

Re: Gargraves track is the standard on big club layouts

Postby ScaleCraft » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:34 pm

I gave up on Lionel tubular 35 years ago. My basement is double tracked GarGraves with yards and branches. I don't think I have ever bought new GarGraves track, last batch of used was pristine.
We used it on one modular pike.
I have probably 200 switches. I have at least four distinct versions of GarGraves switches, including 5 or 6 wood tie units.

Most folks today say "Gargraves", but it's "GarGraves", from the founders, Eldyn S. Graves, who partnered with Earle A. Gardner, the track has been around since 1940.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:31 am

Is their a version of GarGraves that would be suitable for an outdoor loop in an occasionally damp climate?

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:20 am

healey36 wrote:Is their a version of GarGraves that would be suitable for an outdoor loop in an occasionally damp climate?

There used to be. Local fellow nagged GarGraves about rotting wood ties outdoors. Supposedly, GarGraves made UV stabilized plastic or nylon ties and stainless rail.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:28 am

Okay, thanks; I'll check it out. I thought someone had told me they have a track with stainless rail, but I wasn't sure about the ties.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:25 pm

v8vega wrote:Looks good, allows flexibility of design because of flex to any curve, Not too expensive and clubs often have a lot of track, probably the cheapest. Ross switches looks like it so looks good and they make all kinds of switches, and probably the best as far as not derailing and smooth operation.

My only complaint is the ties on the Gargraves flex are slightly thinner than the Ross ties. It takes a little shimming to get things just right.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:24 pm

gregj410 wrote:
v8vega wrote:Looks good, allows flexibility of design because of flex to any curve, Not too expensive and clubs often have a lot of track, probably the cheapest. Ross switches looks like it so looks good and they make all kinds of switches, and probably the best as far as not derailing and smooth operation.

My only complaint is the ties on the Gargraves flex are slightly thinner than the Ross ties. It takes a little shimming to get things just right.

Actually, since GarGraves pre-dates Ross by what, 70 years, Ross ties are a little thicker.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:22 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:
gregj410 wrote:

Actually, since GarGraves pre-dates Ross by what, 70 years, Ross ties are a little thicker.

Got me on a technicality :wink:

G3750

Postby G3750 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:42 pm

I like GarGraves track. I use it primarily, with a few Ross and Curtis HiRail sections thrown into the mix as well. Switches are Ross and Curtis HiRail.

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:40 pm

I have a couple of either Ross or ROW. One type is horrible, can't remember what, I have the ones that aren't. They were free.
I have a pile of high speed GarGraves units, in use, under the layout machines. Those are a trick to use with Caboose Industries ground throws, but I have successfully done so.

webenda

Postby webenda » Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:28 am

healey36 wrote:
ScaleCraft wrote:
healey36 wrote:Is their a version of GarGraves that would be suitable for an outdoor loop in an occasionally damp climate?

There used to be. Local fellow nagged GarGraves about rotting wood ties outdoors. Supposedly, GarGraves made UV stabilized plastic or nylon ties and stainless rail.
Okay, thanks; I'll check it out. I thought someone had told me they have a track with stainless rail, but I wasn't sure about the ties.

GARGRAVES O-GAUGE THREE RAIL TRACK

GarGraves three rail O-Gauge track is available with three tin-plated steel rails, two tinplated outer rails and black oxide-treated steel center rail, three stainless steel rails, and two stainless steel outer rails with a black oxide-treated steel center rail.

All black center rails are black oxide-treated steel that is not rust-resistant and should not be used in damp conditions. There are no black stainless steel rails on any GarGraves product.

GarGraves flex track has wood ties only. GarGraves sectional track has black or gray UV-resistant plastic ties only.

Plastic ties are not available on the GarGraves flex track. Wood ties are not available on the sectional track.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:46 am

So one would have to go sectional with three stainless steel rails outdoors?

webenda

Postby webenda » Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:21 pm

healey36 wrote:So one would have to go sectional with three stainless steel rails outdoors?

No, brass and nickel silver flex tracks work well outdoors. Atlas even has a nickel silver flex track with a blackened center rail.

Reference: https://www.familygardentrains.com/prim ... field4.htm
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”