I see this as an intelligence test

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: I see this as an intelligence test

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:12 pm

HONDO74 wrote:Heck they eliminated a thread on OGR about Lionel not going to be there at York because they were getting in each others face about it.

From OGR:

I just completed my registration and was looking at the Orange Hall dealer chart (and what used to be manufactures layout) and noticed no Lionel, Atlas, Williams, MTH Parts Co (or what's left of MTH). I did notice a few small manufacturers like Ross Custom Switches & J&W Electronics (BCR batteries) a few others. So no more Train manufactures??

Oh, boo-hoo..........
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:16 pm

They were mad with me last spring when I said York sucked. They still don’t quite get it :lol:

G3750

Postby G3750 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:24 pm

gregj410 wrote:They were mad with me last spring when I said York sucked. They still don’t quite get it :lol:

Honestly, I thought the April York was just awful. It was my worst York experience in 20+ years of attending. BUT it was April.

While York is obviously in decline, I do expect October to be much better. And I don't intend to stop going.

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:36 pm

G3750 wrote:
gregj410 wrote:They were mad with me last spring when I said York sucked. They still don’t quite get it :lol:

Honestly, I thought the April York was just awful. It was my worst York experience in 20+ years of attending. BUT it was April.

While York is obviously in decline, I do expect October to be much better. And I don't intend to stop going.

George

I appreciate your optimism and I hope your right but I’m sitting it out this fall. Contemplating the scale show in Timonium instead.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:20 pm

From what I have been reading none of the big name retailers are going to be there either.

Wasn't the orange hall open to the general public. You didn't have to be a TCA member to get into it . right ?

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:38 pm

York seems to be in rotation back to the member-driven event it started off as. That’s fine with me as I spend nearly all of my time in the member halls. Other than the parts dealers, there’s not much in the Orange Hall that holds any appeal.

G3750

Postby G3750 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:04 am

healey36 wrote:York seems to be in rotation back to the member-driven event it started off as. That’s fine with me as I spend nearly all of my time in the member halls. Other than the parts dealers, there’s not much in the Orange Hall that holds any appeal.

I agree that York appears to be on trajectory towards a more member oriented event. Among other things, York has always a trip back to my childhood. It’s in the member halls that I see toys I once owned.

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:28 am

My "vice" is 2R, but I belonged to the TCA several years back, and always enjoyed attending. There was always some 2R (mostly in the Orange hall) and if not models, books, photos, art, etc. in the other halls.

There was always oddball stuff everywhere (I saw a Buddy L Flivver pickup for $500 in the Orange hall), and met Ed Duddy (a really nice man), Al Staufer (had him sign my Pennsy Power III), and you just never knew who/what you might see.

It seemed to me that when they dropped Thursdays, things started to go away.

Why no manufacturers? (Actually Importers) Is there anything new being made to bring in and show?

Stuff comes and goes!

healey36

Postby healey36 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:25 am

There's a few dealers I wish were still in the Orange Hall, one being ETS. They've been gone for a few years now, departing just as I was starting to get into it.

My guess is that as the number of manufacturers dwindle, the economics of schlepping your booth, the inventory, and all of the paper, not to mention staffing, makes less and less sense.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:35 am

Don't the dealers in the orange hall have to pay PA sales tax where the members halls are tax exempt.

And wasn't PA trying to collect tax from the bandit meets because they were not part of the TCA membership ?

healey36

Postby healey36 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:56 am

Interesting question...I don't remember how that all shook out. I would certainly think that sales outside of member-to-member transactions would be subject to PA sales tax.

robert.

Postby robert. » Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:27 pm

Trade shows are a thing of the past. Pre covid they were dwindling. Covid was the last straw for many. I would be involved in 8-10 a year. 2 day shows all the way up to 10 days. Anywhere from Dallas, Miami , Atlanta, Nyc. Long Island, Baltimore, and a bunch of little towns. with everything involved. time, cost, energy, travel, hotels, sourcing laborers and product damage. It's not worth it anymore. Businesses are better off spending on an internet and marketing website. less hassle. Bring the people into your store. For the last 5-6 years everything was stacked against us. From 1993-2010. we could not take enough product with us.( that's not really a bad thing) Sell it all go home empty handed and pockets full. Then from 2015-2019. we could not wait for the closing bell. Come 6:00 pm. we packed up and ran with our tail between our legs. I miss the locations but not the shows. Nothing beats having a coffee in South Beach Miami. While you watch the weather.org say " 24-36 inches of snow along with high winds headed for the I95 corridor for the next 2 days" :lol: :lol: :lol:
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

healey36

Postby healey36 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:50 pm

I’m waiting for IPMS Nationals to come back east. Last time I went was 2018 in Chattanooga, and attendance was off a bit. I’m wondering what that’s gonna be like. It was in Omaha this year, and will be in San Marcos next year. Too far to gawk at a bunch of museum-quality plastic models.

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:25 pm

healey36 wrote:Interesting question...I don't remember how that all shook out. I would certainly think that sales outside of member-to-member transactions would be subject to PA sales tax.

Yep! Correct! Shows how stupid the tax people are! When people stop attending All the taxes that are associated with hotels, meals, gasoline, and anything else purchased outside the show go away! I find it hard to believe the amount they gain by taxing show goers or Bandits is that big a deal. Add to that, most of that stuff was taxed when it was originally sold. :evil:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:45 pm

E7 wrote:... most of that stuff was taxed when it was originally sold.

That argument is also not relevant. Next time you buy a used car, try using it and see how far you get.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”