Weekend Photos - August 2022

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
healey36

Re: Weekend Photos - August 2022

Postby healey36 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:29 pm

The last time I stopped at Roadside America, a few years before it shuttered, I recall seeing a number of Lionel Hudsons featured in a sort of locomotive graveyard just at the end of the layout tour. I wonder what happened to those things; they must have been worth a fortune, even in that condition.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:49 am

healey36 wrote:The last time I stopped at Roadside America, a few years before it shuttered, I recall seeing a number of Lionel Hudsons featured in a sort of locomotive graveyard just at the end of the layout tour. I wonder what happened to those things; they must have been worth a fortune, even in that condition.

Here is the link to an OGR one the person paid $1905.00 ($2190.75 with premium).
https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/jus ... ale-hudson
The is a very, very good price, BUT the engine casting is warped. The cow catcher rests right on the third rail and the rear of the cab is also resting on the rear trailing truck. I'm not sure if it's the frame that is bowed (warped) or the boiler. I don't want to take apart and find out why as I'm afraid I might not be able to align the frame/boilers holes to screw back on. The tender is in fantastic shape and whistle is strong. The engine will run (with jumper wires) and cycles forward-neutral-reverse just fine. Is there a way to fix the frame or boiler which ever is warped?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:21 am

HONDO74 wrote:Here is the link to an OGR one the person paid $1905.00 ($2190.75 with premium).
https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/jus ... ale-hudson
The is a very, very good price, BUT the engine casting is warped. The cow catcher rests right on the third rail and the rear of the cab is also resting on the rear trailing truck. I'm not sure if it's the frame that is bowed (warped) or the boiler. I don't want to take apart and find out why as I'm afraid I might not be able to align the frame/boilers holes to screw back on. The tender is in fantastic shape and whistle is strong. The engine will run (with jumper wires) and cycles forward-neutral-reverse just fine. Is there a way to fix the frame or boiler which ever is warped?

A good price for something that can't be used nor probably "fixed" w/o decreasing whatever "value" resides in it. I'd rather have the $2200.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:59 am

I suspect most, but not all, owners of prewar Lionel Hudsons worship them on a shelf or mantel. I know of two in local collections, and neither is in operating condition. Probably considered capstones on prewar collections.

There's only one rule here; unless it's a family heirloom, it's gotta run, or be quickly restorable to running condition.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:28 pm

Can't believe August is almost over. It's been a miserable summer, starting off with a Covid infection after 2-1/2 years virus-free (presumably), then the dog blowing out her knee and requiring TPLO repairs. I can't say I'll be sad to see this one in the rear-view.

Sometimes you set the bar low and folks still manage to disappoint. Here's a 1/100-scale 3D print of a Dodge WC54 military ambulance; top photo after a clear away of considerable flash and a base-coat of OD green, bottom photo after an attempt to put some lipstick on this pig:

Not much of an improvement. Crappy file (seems dimensionally accurate)? Crappy printer? Crappy resin? Or just all-around poor execution? My kid says this must be from the time during the war when they were making unarmored vehicles out of wicker :lol:

I'd be embarrassed to sell this. I am embarrassed I bought it.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:52 am

0-10-0, Lake Shore & Michigan Southern, Elkhart, Indiana, August 19, 1912:

M-1 class of NYC, built by Alco in 1905.

Library of Congress.

RBH29

Postby RBH29 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:38 pm

Healey,

Maybe that's zimmerit coating on your ambulance. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimmerit

Richard

healey36

Postby healey36 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:32 pm

Hadn’t occurred to me, :lol: you guys are too much!

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:31 pm

Received my Fall York badge today, just as I got word that Lionel will not be there due to "increased complexity tied to working with the TCA Eastern Division". Frankly, I could care less as I spend most of my time in the member halls, but this just smells like more pandemic/supply-chain/undue hardship vendor rubbish. What pain could TCA-ED be laying on Lionel? Seems more likely they learned from the pandemic that missing York had no effect on sales, so why bother.

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”