All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
HONDO74

Re: Weekend Photos - July 2022

Postby HONDO74 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:30 am

Are you talking about the Chesapeake Bay Bridge :?:

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:54 am

RBH29 wrote:Yes, that is a really nice photo. One the right side are 3 large white sacks on a cart with a man holding a fourth sack and standing in what appears to be a tub. Does anyone know what's going on in this part of the scene? If those are mail sacks, they wouldn't load them on the locomotive, would they?

Richard

When I first looked at this photo, I wondered the same thing. My first thought was that he was offloading trash, but then they didn't have big clear or white plastic trash bags back in 1943. He seems to be standing in a wheelbarrow with some sort of liner in it:

This photo is one of a series. I'll see if any of the others reveal anything.

RBH29

Postby RBH29 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:22 am

What happened to Sarge's post where he said the sacks contained dirty linens? I just saw it a little while ago.

Healey, your enlarged photo certainly shows a wheel barrow. I have one like that and wouldn't stand in it with a big bulky load. Too precarious!

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:24 am

Ha, I just got off the horn with Sarge and he's confident it's sacks of dirty linens. If you look way back towards the end of the train, one can see more being offloaded. It threw me because the guy in the foreground is adjacent to the locomotive, but it seems likely he's just restacking stuff that rolled off his cart while he was moving up the platform. Makes sense.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:30 am

healey36 wrote:Ha, I just got off the horn with Sarge and he's confident it's sacks of dirty linens. If you look way back towards the end of the train, one can see more being offloaded. It threw me because the guy in the foreground is adjacent to the locomotive, but it seems likely he's just restacking stuff that rolled off his cart while he was moving up the platform. Makes sense.

Now I am overcome with a desire to do my laundry.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:31 am

HONDO74 wrote:Are you talking about the Chesapeake Bay Bridge :?:

Yup, they're proposing to build a third bridge. Between the summer beach traffic and the daily crossings by folks that live on the Eastern Shore but work somewhere on the Western, the back-up at the bridge(s) is becoming a bit much. As Greg stated, it's more involved than just building another crossing; Rte. 50, the highway leading to and from the bridge(s) will require significant expansion as well. Never ceases to amaze me how many folks I meet that live on the Eastern Shore but work in Baltimore, Annapolis, DC, even Northern Virginia.
Last edited by healey36 on Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:34 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
healey36 wrote:Ha, I just got off the horn with Sarge and he's confident it's sacks of dirty linens. If you look way back towards the end of the train, one can see more being offloaded. It threw me because the guy in the foreground is adjacent to the locomotive, but it seems likely he's just restacking stuff that rolled off his cart while he was moving up the platform. Makes sense.

Well put down the Xacto and get cracking!

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:14 pm

healey36 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

Can't put down what I do not have/use -- all surgical scalpels in my shop -- 3 #11, 3 #12, 1 #15, 1 #23 on the bench.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:59 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
healey36 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

Can't put down what I do not have/use -- all surgical scalpels in my shop -- 3 #11, 3 #12, 1 #15, 1 #23 on the bench.

I have two or three surgical clamps that I use occasionally, but never trusted myself to use a scalpel. Maybe I'm missing out.

sarge

Postby sarge » Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:53 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

I have that effect on people. Grin!

I did post about linen sacks this morning, then got into a bit of an administrative fight with the site over passwords (having not been signed in for a while) so had to back up and start again. Its sorted now, I think (this in itself a test of that).
No-one ever forgets where they buried the hatchet.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:23 pm

sarge wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

I have that effect on people. Grin!

Not entirely sure how to interpret that, but at least I have clean clothes now, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I did post about linen sacks this morning, then got into a bit of an administrative fight with the site over passwords (having not been signed in for a while) so had to back up and start again. Its sorted now, I think (this in itself a test of that).

You have passed that test. Proceed forward to the next testing stage. A testing monitor will be with you shortly.......or not as none of this may in fact be real.

sarge

Postby sarge » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:19 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
Not entirely sure how to interpret that, but at least I have clean clothes now, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

As light-hearted benign humour...

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
You have passed that test. Proceed forward to the next testing stage. A testing monitor will be with you shortly.......or not as none of this may in fact be real.

Not real? Surely this is reality! Grin!
No-one ever forgets where they buried the hatchet.

robert.

Postby robert. » Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:51 pm

Anybody ever stand in a wheelbarrow?
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:24 pm

sarge wrote:Not real? Surely this is reality!

Reality is for far too many what you make of it.

I for one am just a figment of my own imagination wandering across the multiverse.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:26 pm

robert. wrote:Anybody ever stand in a wheelbarrow?

Yes. It can be a non-trivial exercise in balance and equilibrium.

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”