Weekend Photos - July 2022

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
healey36

Re: Weekend Photos - July 2022

Postby healey36 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:33 am

Okay, so this is where I ended up (pending installation of new frosted window glazing):

I sent off an order for a dozen sheets of 12-inch x 12-inch 6mil "milky translucent" stencil material; we'll see what that's like. I kinda like the look of it without glazing, but the frosted glazing does a good job of diffusing the single-bulb interior lighting. We'll see...

On to the next.

webenda

Postby webenda » Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:54 pm

healey36 wrote:Okay, so this is where I ended up (pending installation of new frosted window glazing)

The windows and signs turned out absolutely gorgeous, Healey.

In the past, I have been troubled by the bright plated drive rods on my locomotives (real ones are dark and grimy.) No more am I troubled, I found a prototype for bright and shiny drive rods.

Southern Railway 1401, located at the National Museum of American History, has bright drive rods.

I was curious how they got such a thing into the building. Easy, they drove it through a window.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

healey36

Postby healey36 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:36 pm

Thanks, Wayne; just about done with it. My order of 6mil "milky translucent" stencil material came in the other day, so I cut strips for the windows. This stuff is slightly more frosted than the original, and it doesn't have 85 years of yellowing, so it looks a bit much.

Frankly, I think I like the 601 better without glazing. If you have interest, here's a link to the material:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HMM3HBL?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Unless you have an entire fleet to re-glaze, this is likely a lifetime supply.

Next up, a Lionel 806 that needs a replacement door and track:

This one's been in the project pile for twenty years. Finding a green paint match is going to be tough. Bought the replacement track and repro door in my last order from George Tebolt. Geesh, I miss that guy.

I haven't been down to the Smithsonian in many years. I think the last time I was there was before the WWII Memorial was built and one could still find a parking spot on the mall (yeah, it's been awhile). At that time, the Museum of American History was undergoing a pretty substantial refurbishment. Southern 1401 is always neat to see, but my favorite exhibit was the ship models up on the second floor. I specifically recall 1/100-scale versions of Arizona and Missouri, both of which were just spectacular. My understanding is that most, if not all of the ships have gone into storage, replaced with other permanent displays :(

I never realized how tight a fit it was getting that locomotive in there. It has quite a bit of clearance from the ceiling as displayed, so they must have figured out a way to get lowered to the floor (you can see it's blocked up 4-6 feet in that photo). Very cool...

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:26 pm

healey36 wrote:My order of 6mil "milky translucent" stencil material came in the other day, so I cut strips for the windows.

How is that mounted?
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:17 pm

The original glazing was in two pieces, one covering the main windows and a second strip covering the clerestory windows. The strips would have small holes punched in them through which a few tabs would project to be bent over, holding the strips in place. Because the tabs get rather brittle, I'm just going to cement them in with dabs of rubber cement or 2-3 spots of Loctite GO2. I only made a single strip that covers both sets of windows, and in the picture, the strip is just there (not yet cemented in).

Whether I go ahead and use the window glazing gets more complicated. In the really old O and Standard gauge stuff, the clerestory windows would get a separate strip of blue mottled simulated stained glass, of which I have a roll that's been on the bench for twenty years. A bit of that might look really sharp on the 600-series passenger cars. Here's an example from an old Standard gauge Lionel 36 refurb I did a long time ago:

Now the strip in this photo is actually the original that I was able to salvage, but the roll of the repro stuff I have is not too different, perhaps a bit thicker. Looks pretty neat.

The one problem with the glazing is that if you handle the cars a lot, the glazing eventually starts to loosen and collapse inward. That said, it's not to big of a hassle to reattach it (as long as you haven't broken the tabs off).

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:53 pm

There's more than one pile of stuff on the workbench that needs to be knocked down, one being the toy train stuff, the other being the ship model stash. Diving back into that in a big way simultaneous with the trains and a few paper building projects. Here's a 1/2400-scale model of SS Ulysses, a cargo-liner launched in 1913:

Here's a postcard view of Ulysses, date unknown:

Following her launch and a scant year on the Glasgow-Liverpool-Brisbane route, she served as a transport for the British during WWI. She returned to commercial service during the interwar years only to be torpedoed by U-160 in April 1942, 45 miles south of Cape Hatteras. The Americans were unprepared for WWII, and Ulysses was an early casualty of that unpreparedness.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:37 pm

To many hobbies too little time.

My daughter bought a home in Hurlock, MD
Apparently they have a festival of some sort in the fall and they do a little excursion. While helping them spruce up the house I noticed they recently moved them into town. Maybe getting them ready for the run. Charming little town!

healey36

Postby healey36 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:41 am

Can you have too many hobbies? I'm not sure, but I can tell you that when the house starts to look like you have a hoarding problem, you might want to reevaluate :lol:

A nice, neat, clean little town. It's been a long time since I've been over to the Eastern Shore (other than to tear across rte. 50 and 404 on the way to the beach). I know a number of folks who moved over to Denton, Easton, and Rock Hall; I'll have to look 'em up.

Looks like a nice refurb on the coaches, but those windows are weird to me. Feels like I've seen those on a Window Nation flyer.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:27 am

I know a number of folks who moved over to Denton, Easton, and Rock Hall; I'll have to look 'em up.

I’m 15 minutes from Denton and 1/2 hour from Easton and my niece lives in Rock hall. I try to avoid 404 this time of year amid all the crazy beach dwellers. It’s definitely better now that it’s 2 lanes from 50 all the way through Denton. Now for the Bay Bridge…..ugh!

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:13 pm

What's the latest on the new Bay Bridge? Last I heard, they were still debating where to put it.

Saw this nice color photo of the Super Chief on a service stop at Albuquerque, New Mexico, in March of 1943:

I recall stopping at this same place while coming home from L. A. with The Old Man, some two decades later. I think I was about eight or nine years old at the time. A forty minute layover, ten o'clock at night, summer, must have been 110 degrees.

Photographed by Jack Delano; from the collections of the Library of Congress.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:59 pm

healey36 wrote:What's the latest on the new Bay Bridge? Last I heard, they were still debating where to put it.

Think that's on the same page as the bridge to be added above the Cabin John......somewhere in dream land where pigs do fly.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:18 pm

The Old Man was the chief project engineer for the State on the original Cabin John. I often wonder how much of the original still exists under and within the Legion version. It was only four lanes when first built; what’s it now? Eight? Ten?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:26 pm

healey36 wrote:The Old Man was the chief project engineer for the State on the original Cabin John. I often wonder how much of the original still exists under and within the Legion version. It was only four lanes when first built; what’s it now? Eight? Ten?

8 through lanes; 4 each way, plus an on/off merge lane each way. Still a PITA..........

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:18 pm

What's the latest on the new Bay Bridge? Last I heard, they were still debating where to put it.

I heard them say on the radio a few weeks back that a panel had decided after 28 million dollars in research that the new bridge would go in the same general location as the existing bridge.

I’d have been happy to let them know that for any amount less than 28 million. You could put the bridge just about anywhere, the problem is having the infrastructure to get massive amounts of beach going traffic on and off the bridge.

Beautiful photo btw. I believe I’ve seen that in one of my books.

RBH29

Postby RBH29 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:37 am

Yes, that is a really nice photo. One the right side are 3 large white sacks on a cart with a man holding a fourth sack and standing in what appears to be a tub. Does anyone know what's going on in this part of the scene? If those are mail sacks, they wouldn't load them on the locomotive, would they?

Richard

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”