Weekend Photos - July 2022

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
RBH29

Re: Weekend Photos - July 2022

Postby RBH29 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:47 am

Even better when juggling sacks of dirty linen.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:29 am

Something else I overlooked which Sarge pointed out, the E-unit's blackout cover on its headlamp. It's 1943, so stands to reason.

webenda

Postby webenda » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:12 am

healey36 wrote:Ha, I just got off the horn with Sarge and he's confident it's sacks of dirty linens. If you look way back towards the end of the train, one can see more being offloaded. It threw me because the guy in the foreground is adjacent to the locomotive, but it seems likely he's just restacking stuff that rolled off his cart while he was moving up the platform. Makes sense.

I think he has just arrived with some bags and is now loading them onto the cart.

About this photo...
Title: Santa Fe R.R. streamliner, the "super Chief," being serviced at the depot, Albuquerque, N.M. Servicing of these diesel streamliners takes five minutes. Santa Fe R.R. trip
Contributor Name: Delano, Jack, 1914-1997, photographer
Created / Published: 1943 March
Subject Headings:
- Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad
- World War, 1939-1945
- Railroad construction & maintenance
- Railroad cars
- United States--New Mexico--Albuquerque
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

webenda

Postby webenda » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:07 am

The number boards also have blackout/brownout shields on them. I grew up in Long Beach, California in the 40's. I remember asking my parents, "How come that car has that thing (a cover with a shrouded slit) on the headlights?" My mom answered, "They are required on any locomotive, truck, car, motorcycle, bicycle, or flashlight operating at night. These covers ensured that minimal light is visible from above, a necessity during a night Air Raid when any light source could become a target." I also remember air raid sirens and anti-aircraft guns being fired at night.

When the Freedom Train came to Tucson January 29 - February 1, 1976 it had "Submarine Shields" on both sides of the firebox air-inlet dampers. The fireman said they were put on during WWII because the locomotive operated along the Pacific Coast. They were to prevent the locomotive from being a target for Japanese submarines.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:46 am

A few riders turned up this AM at the LMS station in Tebay:

Hondo sent me some lights I might be able to use on the platform. Being prewar tinplate, they are humongous, but they are really nice. I've got a set of smaller lamps (Lemax, I think), but they are DC on a battery pack, so would require some rewiring. I still haven't finalized the interior lights either, so lots of electrical still open-ended.

That dude with the briefcase looks to be a bit of a Ministry of Silly Walks type.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:14 pm

More recently I’ve been wanting to run my 18 inch UP passenger trains. I’m almost ashamed to admit that I thought at some point I had already run them. As it turns out Saturday night was the first time they’ve seen the light of day in 10+ years.

Here’s a few pics followed by some videos of the squeaky wheels. I was able to chase some of the squeaks out, however you can still hear them clearly in the videos.

https://youtube.com/shorts/MAzmgoFy4Jw?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/gHznMddjCRI?feature=share

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:57 pm

gregj410 wrote:As it turns out Saturday night was the first time they’ve seen the light of day in 10+ years.
And in a different thread:
gregj410 wrote:Tried to re join OGR. I received an email that says they will reconsider my application upon subscribing to OGR??? What the magazine? So is that how it is now? If you are a new member you cannot join the forum unless you subscribe to their magazine?
Have you ever stopped to ponder how much more use your trains would have gotten if you hadn't wasted so much time on OGR?

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:29 am

Wow, those look sharp.

I still have a few pieces of MTH tin that’s never seen the light of day (probably acquired some two decades ago). Brings up a number of questions :lol:

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:52 am

Chris Webster wrote:
gregj410 wrote:As it turns out Saturday night was the first time they’ve seen the light of day in 10+ years.
And in a different thread:
gregj410 wrote:Tried to re join OGR. I received an email that says they will reconsider my application upon subscribing to OGR??? What the magazine? So is that how it is now? If you are a new member you cannot join the forum unless you subscribe to their magazine?
Have you ever stopped to ponder how much more use your trains would have gotten if you hadn't wasted so much time on OGR?

Well in all fairness to OGR, I’ve probably wasted more time here. :lol: But I get your point!

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:37 pm

gregj410 wrote:More recently I’ve been wanting to run my 18 inch UP passenger trains. I’m almost ashamed to admit that I thought at some point I had already run them. As it turns out Saturday night was the first time they’ve seen the light of day in 10+ years.

I have the G. W. Bush casket/baggage car to go with my two-rail UP 4141. It will get two-railed eventually and the casket lighted and two Navy sailors "standing guard".

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”