Ogr account disabled

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
Norton

Re: Ogr account disabled

Postby Norton » Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:47 am

gregj410 wrote:I haven’t bought any engines for a while, however I’ve been hearing more about qc issues with Lionel lately. Oddly enough I run my MTH quite a bit and when they run they do run well. I always feel like that crappy remote is going to crumble in my hand especially when I get some god forsaken error message that makes me want to squeeze it a little harder. :lol:

I picked up a MTH wifi module when MTH said they were closing their doors as backup in case the handheld bit the dust. I found the app intuitive, responsive, and very easy to use with no thumbwheel issues. It wouldn’t be an inconvenience if I had to use a tablet to run trains.
Also I find it ironic now that you can get the electronics to repair or upgrade nearly every MTH engine made, Lionel has made all their engines made prior to 2011 obsolete. Presence on the planet doesn’t mean your engines will be operative down the road. Best learn to do your own Legacy upgrades or at least install a bridge rectifier in those boat anchors.

Pete

bluelinec4

Postby bluelinec4 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:03 am

Pete
The MTH app is nice but it does a couple of funky things I dont like We run all 9 of our TIU's with the Variable ports set to fixed Seems that if you do a READ it will set the variable ports to variable on TIU's one and three Still havent been able to prove it so i think its intermittent HAvent had the time to spend on it. If using the APP it slows down handheld communication Seems the WIU takes precedence over handhelds so we do not allow a mix of handheld and app users Its either one or the other, And the last thing I think is a bug in the PS3 chain files Ever since we installed WIU's PS3 engines only will sometimes get their sounds scrambled on TIU 1 only Sounds like Mickey mouse talking Run around into another TIU boundary and shutdown it will startup normal Other than those things it works good

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:18 am

Do you only need one WiFi interface? I’m asking because I have 3 TIU’s. Which TIU would I pair it with? I would like to get away from the DCS remote and run my MTH engines with a tablet because of the remote problems.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:20 am

I thought this is a really interesting thread over on OGR.

Beta testing of Lionel Base 3 at NJ HiRailers
https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/bet ... ers?page=1

Norton

Postby Norton » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:26 am

For home use I would likely only be using one or the other controller. I understand the app has a some bugs and hasn’t been upgraded in a few years. Its supposed to be improved but at this point I don’t have to use it. I did like it though.
George, the problem now is the add on WIFI unit is NLA except on the secondary market. You would have to get a new WTIU to use the app now.

Pete

bluelinec4

Postby bluelinec4 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:27 am

gregj410 wrote:Do you only need one WiFi interface? I’m asking because I have 3 TIU’s. Which TIU would I pair it with? I would like to get away from the DCS remote and run my MTH engines with a tablet because of the remote problems.

No you need a WIU per TIU
The latest version WTIU is coming this fall which has built in Wifi but they did away with the transceiver The handheld can still be used but it needs to be tethered

bluelinec4

Postby bluelinec4 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:28 am

HONDO74 wrote:I thought this is a really interesting thread over on OGR.

Beta testing of Lionel Base 3 at NJ HiRailers
https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/bet ... ers?page=1

Thing I find funny with that thread is how people complain about a product that isnt even out yet They dont seem to understand what BETA test means

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:06 am

I think I’ve reached the point of no return on upgrades and updates. It would probably be easier for me to switch gauges than trying to get caught up on the current ways to operate my trains.

Neil

Postby Neil » Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:22 am

"Lionel has made all their engines made prior to 2011 obsolete. "

I'm not experienced in this area, but I thought the ERR components now marketed by 3rd Rail could be used to resuscitate both TMCC and early Legacy locos. I understand the some Legacy functions would be lost, including loco specific sounds. Is that not the case?

I don't find it all that reassuring that parts for PS1 and PS2 locos are available (at least for the present). To me, both those systems had sufficiently annoying issues that I wouldn't consider maintaining them. PS1 being non-command, battery dependent, easily scrambled in some cases, and being a pain in the neck to operate in conventional mode. PS2 being battery dependent, quirky and less fun (to me at least) to operate than TMCC or Legacy. So for those who are enthused about those systems the parts availability is a plus. But for those of us who never much liked them to begin with, parts availability isn't a big positive. PS3 is a much superior system, more reliable and improved, as you know better than I. So as long as PS3 upgrades or replacements are available, your point is well taken. The question is how long those parts will remain available now that Mike Wolf is largely playing golf and watching football :) and it's pretty much a one man show with Dave Kriebel. Atlas getting into PS3 may be the saving grace for MTH loco owners.
Last edited by Neil on Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neil

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:02 am

I don’t knock anyone who has 100 or more engines. I have about 25, all steam. My layout is 15x48 and many of them occupy a place on the sidings or in the yard. Maybe half on the layout half on the shelves. My buddy has 50 engines and we were talking about what it would take to get all of them on the track for a reasonable amount of run time. Obviously it all depends on how much you run trains versus layout size, there are many variables. I personally run the same 4-6 engines consistently. The others I run because I bought them and well, regardless of whether it was a good idea at the time I feel like I should get them out on the pike and enjoy them. The point to all of this, is it can be really easy to get caught up in owning so many engines that you forget how often you have to change them out, run different ones, box and unbox, shelf the idle engines, etc to even began to enjoy them all. All that aside I’m happy for all the guys that have 100 or more engines.

bluelinec4

Postby bluelinec4 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:30 am

I have well over 100 and I am pretty dedicated to rotating them every time I run. There are probably two that get skipped over and they are both Third Rail shelf Queens

E7

Postby E7 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:35 am

gregj410 wrote:I don’t knock anyone who has 100 or more engines. All that aside I’m happy for all the guys that have 100 or more engines.

Just reading through here when it dawned on me the implications of owning 100 of just about anything. At the price of 1K per engine: $100,000. :shock: Even at $500 a pop 50K! Over a long period of time, I can see where that might sneak up on you!

Kind of scary when you think about it!

Rich (But not rich enough to own 100 engines!) :lol: :lol: :lol:

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:17 pm

E7 wrote:Just reading through here when it dawned on me the implications of owning 100 of just about anything. At the price of 1K per engine: $100,000. :shock: Even at $500 a pop 50K! Over a long period of time, I can see where that might sneak up on you! Kind of scary when you think about it!

That thought has popped into my mind many times! I hesitate to count all of my trolleys for that very reason; 25+ PCCs alone. And that does not include the 10 or 11 Red Arrow streamliners! Not all are powered/painted, but .................. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: This also does not include the interurbans, city cars and some others.

The Red Arrow car, it is not a PCC, just shares the same body style:

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:42 pm

J. S. Bach wrote:
E7 wrote:Just reading through here when it dawned on me the implications of owning 100 of just about anything. At the price of 1K per engine: $100,000. :shock: Even at $500 a pop 50K! Over a long period of time, I can see where that might sneak up on you! Kind of scary when you think about it!

That thought has popped into my mind many times! I hesitate to count all of my trolleys for that very reason; 25+ PCCs alone. And that does not include the 10 or 11 Red Arrow streamliners! Not all are powered/painted, but .................. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: This also does not include the interurbans, city cars and some others.

The Red Arrow car, it is not a PCC, just shares the same body style:

That’s a nice scene. All of my engines were acquired over time. The new ones which aren’t many were usually pre ordered so they were reasonably priced. Most all my engines are used so it was a little less painful but at an average of 5-700 street value, you’re right, it adds up.
I try to never buy engines new, it’s like buying musical instruments new. The are hardly used so let someone else pay the depreciation on them.

E7

Postby E7 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:45 pm

Nice looking scene, and nice looking car. I recall seeing trolleys cavorting about in Philadelphia (back in the 70's I think).

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”