Weekend Photos - March 2022

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
gregj410

Re: Weekend Photos - March 2022

Postby gregj410 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:15 am

Sarge, though I am not that well steeped in Plasticville the closest thing that building resembles to me is either the apartment building or the factory or a combo of the two. Either way, we agree that it is nicely done!

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:03 pm

I agree, nicely done by Peterson, Sarge. The Art Deco influence seen in a number of Plasticville designs is well illustrated there.

I've got one of those Plasticville coaling towers around here somewhere, Greg. I used it for years on the S-gauge layout I built when my kids were young. When I tore that thing down, the tower was one of the few buildings I hung onto. I'll have to dig it out. You look like you're building toward a coal tipple in some form. I look forward to seeing it when you get further along.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:31 pm

You look like you're building toward a coal tipple in some form. I look forward to seeing it when you get further along.

Yes! I’ve always had a hankering for an On30 layout. This layout is 6’ 7 x 4‘4. It will be a logging and mining layout.

I’ve been meaning to ask you. What is your connection to Austin- Healey?

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:59 pm

Long-time British car enthusiast, I’ve had a few over the years. Down to my last, a ‘67 Sprite that I’ve had for over 30 years:

Is your On30 operation part of your O-gauge layout or separate? I ask because I seem to recall seeing narrow gauge running over that long bridge of yours.
Last edited by healey36 on Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:33 pm

Long-time British car enthusiast, I’ve had a few over the years. Down to my last, a ‘67 Sprite that I’ve had for over 30 years.

Gotcha. I don’t know anything about them except my sister was dating a guy years ago and he had one until she wrapped it around a tree. :shock: It was a convertible, she walked away unharmed however the car was totaled IIRC.

Is your On30 operation part of your O-gauge layout or separate? I ask because I seem to recall seeing narrow gauge running over that long bridge of yours

Yes. This area with the coal tipple is a stand alone layout. The other is a back and forth logging line incorporated into my 3 rail layout. If I was to be brutally honest with my self, On30 is my true love. I’m just so heavily vested in 3 rail it’s hard for me to make the break. Maybe some day if/when we downsize I’ll sell off my 3 rail to fund an On30 layout

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:18 pm

gregj410 wrote:
Long-time British car enthusiast, I’ve had a few over the years. Down to my last, a ‘67 Sprite that I’ve had for over 30 years.

Gotcha. I don’t know anything about them except my sister was dating a guy years ago and he had one until she wrapped it around a tree. :shock: It was a convertible, she walked away unharmed however the car was totaled IIRC.

Is your On30 operation part of your O-gauge layout or separate? I ask because I seem to recall seeing narrow gauge running over that long bridge of yours

Yes. This area with the coal tipple is a stand alone layout. The other is a back and forth logging line incorporated into my 3 rail layout. If I was to be brutally honest with my self, On30 is my true love. I’m just so heavily vested in 3 rail it’s hard for me to make the break. Maybe some day if/when we downsize I’ll sell off my 3 rail to fund an On30 layout

She was indeed fortunate. A high school mate of mine launched himself and his father’s TR-250 into a roadside stand of trees and didn’t survive it. No accounting for his stupidity, and at the speed he was going the car basically disintegrated. My fear today usually centers on the other guy - the Sprite could never stand up to a collision with some idiot in his/her SUV who crosses the center-line while checking their text messages.

If I had time, I’d chuck the tinplate for On30. I recall a narrow gauge point-to-point pike in HO that was built by a doctor friend of my father some forty years ago. My recollection is that it ran on N-gauge track. I think he had a Shay-type loco and a small Consolidation, along with some scratch built rolling stock. It was very cool. When I see some of Rufus’ scratch-built rolling stock, it reminds me of the stuff the doctor built.

robert.

Postby robert. » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:16 am

healey36 wrote:Long-time British car enthusiast, I’ve had a few over the years. Down to my last, a ‘67 Sprite that I’ve had for over 30 years:

Is your On30 operation part of your O-gauge layout or separate? I ask because I seem to recall seeing narrow gauge running over that long bridge of yours.

I see photos of this little car every now and then. for the longest time i wondered. Are you taller than 6 foot and heavier than 230lbs? In my mind i have had a picture of the car rising 3 inches when you get out. A friend had an old triumph in high school. It was a smaller than small. we would bang shoulders in that thing if he drove it hard. That car was not set up for 6 foot tall people. Five foot five would have been ideal.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:18 am

When I see some of Rufus’ scratch-built rolling stock, it reminds me of the stuff the doctor built.

In another life, I might well have been an On3 or On30 modeler. I have days now when I consider selling everything off and then.........I'm really not sure. Maybe go back to painting......
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:00 am

robert. wrote:Are you taller than 6 foot and heavier than 230lbs?

Yes to both, which is part of the reason it doesn't get out as much as it once did. One has to be a bit of a contortionist to get in, but once aboard, it's great fun. It's as close as you can get to "wearing" a car, I suspect.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:07 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:In another life, I might well have been an On3 or On30 modeler. I have days now when I consider selling everything off and then.........I'm really not sure. Maybe go back to painting......

I could see myself doing something in HO at some point. Once my daughter gets her stuff out of my house, I'd have a bit of space for a small point-to-point, or better yet, something temporary that could be stored when not being operated.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:43 am

I remember many guys in NK crying about a bigger layout. A large layout is not the answer. I was fortunate enough to have a 15x48 room designated to trains. My experience has been that you need to graduate into a space that size to build a pleasing layout. I would have gained so much experience by starting and completing smaller layouts along the way.
I sit many evenings surveying this little On30 layout discovering so many scenic opportunities and details. On the other hand I don’t have the same vision for the 3 rail layout. Frankly it’s a little overwhelming. I guess it’s the age old less is more…..if I could only learn to live by it.

Mitch

Postby Mitch » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:31 am

I'm thinkin' about sellin' off all the O 3rail stuff except the 6' x 12' platform and goin' to N scale. Can get a whole lot more into a layout by cuttin' way down on size, not to mention much more bang for the buck.
If you agree with the Progressives, it's freedom of speech. If you disagree, it's hate speech. There are no alternatives.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:00 pm

gregj410 wrote:I remember many guys in NK crying about a bigger layout. A large layout is not the answer. I was fortunate enough to have a 15x48 room designated to trains. My experience has been that you need to graduate into a space that size to build a pleasing layout. I would have gained so much experience by starting and completing smaller layouts along the way.

You have 4 times the space I have. Large layouts come with large amounts of time invested and then maintenance.

I sit many evenings surveying this little On30 layout discovering so many scenic opportunities and details.

There's a lot of opportunity in smaller layouts and On30 provides a lot of freedom.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:49 pm

Mitch wrote:I'm thinkin' about sellin' off all the O 3rail stuff except the 6' x 12' platform and goin' to N scale. Can get a whole lot more into a layout by cuttin' way down on size, not to mention much more bang for the buck.

You can build an empire of N-gauge in 6x12. In fact, you might want to break it down a bit and build a bent-dog-bone with a narrow aisle. I dabbled in N when I was in my 20s, but it was fiddly and never ran that well. Track work is critical to smooth running, that and buying yourself good equipment. I still have most of my stuff; if you build it, let me know. I’ll bring some of the stuff over :lol:
Last edited by healey36 on Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:01 pm

gregj410 wrote:I remember many guys in NK crying about a bigger layout. A large layout is not the answer. I was fortunate enough to have a 15x48 room designated to trains. My experience has been that you need to graduate into a space that size to build a pleasing layout. I would have gained so much experience by starting and completing smaller layouts along the way.
I sit many evenings surveying this little On30 layout discovering so many scenic opportunities and details. On the other hand I don’t have the same vision for the 3 rail layout. Frankly it’s a little overwhelming. I guess it’s the age old less is more…..if I could only learn to live by it.

Big layouts are daunting, for sure. Just the electricals is intimidating/painful. My recollection, though, is that you are modeling ATSF/UP west of Cheyenne; it’s tough to have Jabelmann’s Challengers roaring across the prairie on a layout only fourteen feet long. From the pics you’ve posted, I think you’re doing great.

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”