Weekend Photos - February 2022

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
healey36

Weekend Photos - February 2022

Postby healey36 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:29 pm

We need some action photos like Christopher used to post for these threads, but until then, the faux tinplate station project grinds on. The platform/base is about done:

I edged the base with some stone paper on cardstock I printed from Paul Race's Tribute to Tinplate page, then cut into 3/4-inch strips. While it definitely had the toy-like appearance I was looking for, it was a bit too gray. The original had a bit of a gray-beige mottling to it, so I gave the paper an overspray with the light-brown enamel I used on the station's lower level. It made things a bit less of a uniform gray.

For the horizontal surfaces and the steps, I used a bit of Howard Hues acrylic "concrete" which I had in the paint box. A little bit of that stuff seemed to go a long way. Once dry, I gave the whole thing, a coat of Minwax polyurethane semi-gloss. I probably could have used a gloss, but I didn't have any handy and I didn't feel like running to to the hardware store for a pint. I think this will work, although it won't be as shiny as the station itself.

The original had a metal railing running around three sides, supported by some rather ornate stanchions. I had a few simple two-hole stanchions in the bit box originally intended for a ship model, but seeing how that project has languished for over 20 years, I decided to use them here. Of course I didn't have enough, so I fired off an order to Harbor Models for another bag full. I was lucky as they still carry them. I have some brass rod I thought I'd use for the horizontal bit, but it seems too flimsy. Next chance I get, I'm going to stop by the music store in town and buy some more stainless-steel guitar "string". That stuff is really sturdy.

Drilled the holes for the railing, then tested them to make sure they were drilled deep enough. I'll set the stanchions aside until after the station is assembled and positioned. Until then, it (the railing) would just be in the way.

Lower-level assembly is next.

Hope you guys are busy.

robert.

Re: Weekend Photos - February 2022

Postby robert. » Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:46 pm

I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:12 am

Looks like it’s off to a nice start. Does that paint or polyurethane cause the card stock to warp?

but seeing how that project has languished for over 20 years,

I’m trying to avoid these as much as possible but I still have a few myself

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:40 am

The base is comprised of some one-by pine scraps, so not much chance of warp. I was a bit concerned that the polyurethane might lift the acrylic model paint, but thankfully it didn’t. I was also worried it might muck up the ink-jet print on the card stock edges, but it didn’t do that either. I always have concerns when applying an oil-based finish over water-based paint. I first primed it with some water-based Killz latex. I’m going to let it sit for a couple days so the paint/top-coat hardens.

Doing a bit of rethink, a base constructed of sheet styrene would have been more akin to the original’s sheet-metal base. I just don’t have the tools to make a job of bending/cutting steel.

I’ve had no issues with cardstock walls warping, and those endured “embossing” along with two, sometimes three coats of gloss paint. So far, it’s been working.

One thing I’m not happy with is the exposed edges of the corrugated. It wasn’t an issue with the castle project, as that was all hand-painted. On this one, I used some spray paint, and I just couldn’t seem to get it to fill the edges. I’m hoping it will be fine with the two-foot rule.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:54 am

Lol, Robert, is that bottom pic local? Being Union Pacific, I'll presume not (although I have seen UP power running on CSX right-of-way in the not-too-distant past).

G3750

Postby G3750 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:36 pm

Paul,

That station construction is looking pretty good.

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

webenda

Postby webenda » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:21 am

healey36 wrote:Lol, Robert, is that bottom pic local? Being Union Pacific, I'll presume not (although I have seen UP power running on CSX right-of-way in the not-too-distant past).

That photo was taken in Truckee, Califonia, about 8 miles east of Donner Pass. It is the old Southern Pacific route, now owned by Union Pacific.

TRUCKEE CALIFORNIA
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

healey36

Postby healey36 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:55 pm

Began assembling the lower half of this dog:

Made the decision to assemble it before gluing it to the base; doing it the other way had its advantages, but would make it tough to work on with the bottom basically sealed off. We'll see; may be a strategic mistake. One thing is for sure; I'm going to get the platform roof cemented onto the back wall before attaching that wall to the back of the station. Otherwise, it seems the risk of not getting a well-attached but shed-type roof structure in place is too great.

I'm also realizing I did myself no favors scaling it up from the photos I have of the original. There's quite a bit of dead space on the facade.

The idea of spraying clear-matte on acetate to create frosted window glazing worked great, Rufus; thanks for that.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:24 am

That's coming along nicely!
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:50 pm

Gluing up the depot's lower level, including a couple of interior walls for the tunnel/atrium bit. The damn thing's somewhat out of square, so I had to cut and jam a nice square bit of cardboard inside to force everything into a relatively square form. Seems to be working.

I was thinking of using a couple of non-flickering LED tea-lights for the interior, but the ones I have seem too dim. Unless it's the batteries, I'll need to find an alternative.

In the meantime, here's a shot from the archives:

The Lionel 1689E is seen stretching its legs under a wildly malfunctioning postwar signal bridge. Must have been the Vernal Equinox, as that's about the only time of year sunlight hits this part of the layout.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:25 am

I got the bottom half of the station project all put together and have moved onto the roof/gable bit:

Figuring out what to use for roofing was a challenge. I was going to hit the doll house supply shop down the street, thinking maybe there was some sort of embossed tin or paper available that is designed for ceilings, but my mate Howard Lamey suggested embossed paper or cardstock available at the craft stores. I found some "scalloped" embossed stock there in the scrapbooking section that should work nicely (and on sale at fifty cents a sheet). I think this stuff will work (see lower left on the paper-cutter).

The roofing on the platform shed-roof will be one-sided corrugated, similar to the look of the original. It'll need a bit of touch-up and regluing as things have popped apart a bit, but nothing major. I wish it fit better, but it'll be okay.

The gables look a bit splayed out, but I'm hopeful that they will draw up a bit when I cement the roof panels in and clamp the whole thing end-to-end. It's not much, but it is noticeable. Hopefully I don't bust anything in process.

A couple of chimneys need to be fabricated after the roof's in place. There's also a crazy-looking electrical wire contraption atop the original...I may forgo that. I saw one on eBay recently for $285 (the electrical contraption, not the station, lol). I have a few plastic repro insulators in the bit box, so I could probably fabricate something sorta similar, but it looks really fiddly.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:04 pm

A tinplater's fantasy; make sure you view in full-screen mode:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6d88e1

webenda

Postby webenda » Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:51 am

healey36 wrote:A tinplater's fantasy; make sure you view in full-screen mode:

Very enjoyable, thanks, Healy36.

Track work was fascinating...

It looks like they cut a bunch of straight sections instead of bending the track to go up and over the bridges.

The wiring on top, instead of under the railroad... I like it.

A live steam engine for the turntable. :D :D :D :D :D
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:38 am

Digging through all of the stuff accumulated over the years, found this modern-era (2004) take on the Lionel 3460:

I remember picking this up new from a vendor at the TCA division meet that used to be held a couple times a year at the Earleigh Heights Volunteer Fire Company in Pasadena. They were blowing them out as apparently nobody wanted them. What, I thought it was pretty neat; no accounting for taste.

Almost done with the latest station project. Picked up some carbon-steel guitar "string" for the railing from a mate's music store. It's a bit fine for my taste, but it was the largest he had that would pass through the pre-drilled holes in the stanchions. He asked when I'd taken up guitar, to which I had to explain what I was using it for. Got some looks.

All of the electricals arrived this past week, so I can finish wiring it for interior lighting. I'm hoping a 3V LED will subtly light the whole thing.

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”