New Lionel Command System

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
Neil

New Lionel Command System

Postby Neil » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:55 am

Rumor is there is a new system coming that enables control of all Lionel command locos through an app or the Legacy handheld (cab 2). It will enable control of Bluetooth, LionChief, TMCC and Legacy locos with one remote through a new device. About time :). It would be a nice thing as they leave the scene for MTH to allow Lionel to control DCS (PS2 and PS3) locos through this device, but I'm not holding my breath.
Neil

KeithL

Re: New Lionel Command System

Postby KeithL » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:36 pm

The Real Toy Trains YouTube channel has more info, including the 2-page presentation in Lionel's 2022 catalog: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3gYLECNInI

G3750

Postby G3750 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:31 am

I wonder if (buried somewhere deep inside the software) is the old hook for controlling DCS locomotives. With MTH under new management, maybe a mutually beneficial agreement could be negotiated to permit Legacy software to run MTH trains? It would give DCS owners a pathway to the future. I certainly don't have any faith in the DCS spin-off or follow-on effort.

Just sayin'...

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

Neil

Postby Neil » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:33 pm

I think more strangeness is coming to the hobby, just have no idea what :). The constant refrain that MTH still is really around for one thing sounds a lot like whistling by the graveyard.
Neil

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:03 pm

Neil wrote:I think more strangeness is coming to the hobby, just have no idea what :). The constant refrain that MTH still is really around for one thing sounds a lot like whistling by the graveyard.

I have been on a protracted search for some specific MTH parts....and the runaround is amazing.

In this process, several either folks currently working with the remains or recently separated from said remains...have said Mikey is back.
He has (apparently) decided to take back the reins of the remains.

That's what three sources tell me, now we gotta wait to see what actually transpires.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

jlong

Postby jlong » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:21 pm

Neil wrote:It would be a nice thing as they leave the scene for MTH to allow Lionel to control DCS (PS2 and PS3) locos through this device, but I'm not holding my breath.

With orange magic lamps, it might work. They would not be as obnoxious as purple.
John Long

One nation under Josh with ozone an magnetraction for all

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:29 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

G3750

Postby G3750 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:57 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:
Neil wrote:I think more strangeness is coming to the hobby, just have no idea what :). The constant refrain that MTH still is really around for one thing sounds a lot like whistling by the graveyard.

I have been on a protracted search for some specific MTH parts....and the runaround is amazing.

In this process, several either folks currently working with the remains or recently separated from said remains...have said Mikey is back.
He has (apparently) decided to take back the reins of the remains.

That's what three sources tell me, now we gotta wait to see what actually transpires.

Honestly, the MTH exit has been the absolute biggest cluster-f*** imaginable. :shock:

After all this drama, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Little General assume control again.

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:06 am

G3750 wrote:
Honestly, the MTH exit has been the absolute biggest cluster-f*** imaginable. :shock:

After all this drama, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Little General assume control again.

George

The proper term on this forum is "Fustercluck".
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

KeithL

Postby KeithL » Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:20 pm

Run 322 (Feb/Mar 2022) of OGR magazine has an article on the new command system by Dave Olson, Lionel's Director of Engineering. It's titled, "Creating Lionel’s Latest Innovation in Train Control." At this time, only the digital edition of this issue is available, and I don't have a digital subscription. Does anyone here have a digital subscription and been able to read the article?

webenda

Postby webenda » Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:50 pm

KeithL wrote:Run 322 (Feb/Mar 2022) of OGR magazine has an article on the new command system by Dave Olson, Lionel's Director of Engineering. It's titled, "Creating Lionel’s Latest Innovation in Train Control." At this time, only the digital edition of this issue is available, and I don't have a digital subscription. Does anyone here have a digital subscription and been able to read the article?

I think it was jerked. My digital edition has a broken link to the non-existent article. There is an article on the wonderful MTH DCS system starting on page 77. The DCS article encourages the reader to look at Mike's Patent on the system => https://patents.google.com/patent/US6457681B1/en

----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

KeithL

Postby KeithL » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:49 pm

Yes, it turns out that OGR is holding the article back from the digital edition until Lionel's 2022 catalog is released. Pages 58-61 have been omitted.

That also explains why over the last week three threads on the OGR forum about the new system have been deleted.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:46 am

So was their entry into the hobby. Nothing new to see here with MW and MTH.

Neil

Postby Neil » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:21 pm

More information from additional dealer leaks. Price of this new cab3 base is $500. The Legacy base and remote and LCS components are discontinued and incorporated into the cab 3 system. The cab-1L will continue to be made, although the MSRP is going from 150 to 170 bucks, for those who still want a command remote that interacts with the cab3 base. The Legacy remote will be able to talk with the cab 3 as well. No word yet on interfacing the original cab1 and command base with the cab 3. That would be a good thing.
Neil

G3750

Postby G3750 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:27 pm

Neil wrote:More information from additional dealer leaks. Price of this new cab3 base is $500. The Legacy base and remote and LCS components are discontinued and incorporated into the cab 3 system. The cab-1L will continue to be made, although the MSRP is going from 150 to 170 bucks, for those who still want a command remote that interacts with the cab3 base. The Legacy remote will be able to talk with the cab 3 as well. No word yet on interfacing the original cab1 and command base with the cab 3. That would be a good thing.

Very interesting, Neil. I'm speculating that Lionel will take this announcement as the opportunity to formally orphan the original CAB-1 and command base devices. TMCC locomotives (both native and licensed) will continue to be controlled via Legacy products.

George

—Katy Faust

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”