Weekend Photos - October 2021

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
webenda

Re: Weekend Photos - October 2021

Postby webenda » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:37 pm

healey36 wrote:Looking at this closer...who are these people? Looks like most of Queen's band members are here, and is that Jean-Paul Sartre in the last seat on the right?

You got it Healey. That is the same thing I was thinking.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:15 am

Made a cursory trip through the TCA Eastern Division meet at York on Friday; I wasn't sure what to expect, but found attendance by both members and vendors substantially and understandably lower. A lot of the curious, eccentric stuff I like to drag home was largely missing. Still, had some fun, ran into a few people, and came home with the wallet nearly intact.

The only acquisitions on this trip were a Lionel 656 stock car and a rather battered but complete prewar Dorfan coach:

I saw some other stuff that looked interesting, but passed on it this time around; the project pile is just too massive right now. I picked up a few sample replacement plates for Hondo from Joe Mania, but, after checking with a number of the other parts vendors, couldn't find a replacement tender bar for a 2235T that I have. Might just make one of those from some scrap steel in the shop.

I gotta think about what I want to do with this Dorfan coach. I have a matching observation car with much worse paint loss.

What to do...

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:45 am

Getting down to the end of October here, so what's left for photos? I looked around for something orange; the best I could do was this early Lionel set featuring a 252 with 529 coach and 530 observation:

I'd forgotten I had these. Both of the cars need some work (the coach needs the clerestory window film cemented back in or replaced, and the observation is a bit bent up and has a big solder drip on the roof). I have a roll of some repro speckled-blue window film around here somewhere, so that should be simple. Removing the solder-glob and repainting the roof to match may be more of a challenge.

The continuing excavation of the layout has revealed the true depths of my obsession; I didn't realize how much crap I have accumulated and packed away. Way too much stuff, way too much stuff to work on. It's going to be a busy winter.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:08 pm

Got a text from some friends of mine this morning; it seems they were on Amtrak's AutoTrain heading to Florida when at 0230 this AM some bozo ran a barrier in North Charleston, South Carolina, and got crushed in process. Only minor damage to the locomotive, but three of four passengers in the Nissan SUV got extinguished. They sat on the track for 8+ hours pending investigation and assessment of damage to the train. ETA now 05:00PM; was scheduled for 09:00AM.

G3750

Postby G3750 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:29 pm

healey36 wrote:Got a text from some friends of mine this morning; it seems they were on Amtrak's AutoTrain heading to Florida when at 0230 this AM some bozo ran a barrier in North Charleston, South Carolina, and got crushed in process. Only minor damage to the locomotive, but three of four passengers in the Nissan SUV got extinguished. They sat on the track for 8+ hours pending investigation and assessment of damage to the train. ETA now 05:00PM; was scheduled for 09:00AM.

God, that's just nuts. We had a speaker from Operation Lifesaver at our October NMRA Division meeting. He had an interesting statistic: from the time the crossing bells start to the arrival of the train averages 20 seconds. That's not a lot of time. And yet, you see clowns drive around gates. :shock:

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:03 pm

Yep. A carload at 0230, I'm guessing it was a bunch of folks heading home after the bars closed.

I saw a guy run a barrier here in Westminster a year or so ago. Fortunately, Maryland Midland doesn't go much faster than 30mph. Still, I don't think you could have slipped a sheet of paper between the side of that pick-up and the front of the MMID GP40. Folks do incredibly foolish things.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:47 pm

Jack-O-Lanterns for 2021:

A lot of work just for some kid to put his foot through them, lol. Hope you guys have a great Halloween. Now don't mess with my lawn furniture, and don't paper the trees.

Healey

RBH29

Postby RBH29 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:40 am

Wow! Very impressive & creative pumpkin work!

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”