Weekend Photos - August 2021

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Weekend Photos - August 2021

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:54 am

healey36 wrote:Sounds like a fun project. I'll start looking around for the bits.

Should be quite doable - sheaves from Grandt Line might work for the large pulleys at the top.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:37 pm

Where does one buy Grandt Line these days? Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I used to buy the stuff from an S-gauge supply outfit in Chicago (Heimburger, perhaps), who I think may also have been the publisher of S-Gaugian magazine.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:29 pm

healey36 wrote:Where does one buy Grandt Line these days?

From the owners of the line: https://sanjuandetails.com/

Order online and delivered in about a week or so.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

sarge

Postby sarge » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:54 am

I’ll look forward to it. I have tube, silk, wire, springs, and wooden post here if you’d like avail yourself.

If you use my sketch, be aware I forgot to put post “breaks” into the drawings so as to make clear the tube is usually very near the top of these things, just under where the ball and lantern would be clear and visible. Just lower a couple feet and it disappears into the tube.
No-one ever forgets where they buried the hatchet.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:44 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
healey36 wrote:Where does one buy Grandt Line these days?

From the owners of the line: https://sanjuandetails.com/

Order online and delivered in about a week or so.

Thanks for that...ordered a couple of cable sheaves, hoping they are functional as well as decorative. Ordered one of the sets of stair steps as well, as I have a paper model for a switch tower around here somewhere that I never attempted but for having to cut out all of those steps.

It's nice to see that Grandt Line lives on; their stuff was always very nice.
Last edited by healey36 on Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:51 pm

healey36 wrote:Thanks for that...ordered a couple of cable sheaves, hoping they are functional as well as decorative.

I hope that they are as well; got a "quick" project resting on the bench waiting to put mine to work, :wink: :wink:

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:38 am

Excavation of the layout continues. Picked up a couple of plastic tubs from one of the big-box stores and started packing away some of the stuff, putting aside a few items for disposition.

Despite the vow to start re-sizing the collection, picked up this Marklin 2nd/3rd-class coach this past week:

Now I have something to line up behind the 970. Still need to find a correct tender.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:33 am

Hondo, thanks again for the Flyer catalog scans (and the Lionel scans). I now have a full set running through 1942. Those will prove invaluable. I've already discovered a few things I was unaware of.

Healey

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:42 am

healey36 wrote:Hondo, thanks again for the Flyer catalog scans (and the Lionel scans). I now have a full set running through 1942. Those will prove invaluable. I've already discovered a few things I was unaware of.

Healey

I'm glad they worked out for you. Also Dinky showed up. I think it got here Sat but didn't check the mail until Sun. Look for an email about other items. :wink:

healey36

Postby healey36 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:54 am

A good friend of mine sent this Flyer 301 passenger set my way a few weeks back. It came to him rather circuitously through family, the original owner having been a youngster in the years leading up to the Second World War. With Hondo's help, I was able to run down the 1939 catalog entry for it:

It features the so-called "curly-que" coupler, a type I knew was offered only briefly before Flyer's link-coupler became standard. I don't know if there was any "automatic" decoupling capability for these; I'll have to read up on it.

Sometime soon I'll give the 401 locomotive a cleaning and lubrication, along with a bit of polishing on the coaches. Certainly nothing more than that. It's got 80+ years of "history" caked on it; you never want to remove too much.

I was feeling like crap this week. I called the doctor and, despite being fully vaxxed, he sent me for a Covid test. For the record, that's a pretty unpleasant experience, but the good news is that the result was negative. Today I felt good enough to get outside in the 88-degrees-at-10:00AM weather and cut the lawn. After doing that, I felt even better.

Meanwhile, I continue to work on filling the fleet cabinets. SMS Fürst Bismarck slid down the ways this week:

Slow progress...I still have 100+ to assemble and paint. I think I've finally found a wash recipe I'm happy with, although the results continue to vary a bit depending on base colors and how much detail exists. You never quite know how each one will turn out.

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”