Wanted: Superb locomotive painter

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
G3750

Wanted: Superb locomotive painter

Postby G3750 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:27 pm

I am in the process of acquiring a Lionel Alco S-2 diesel switcher that I want to have repainted in Weirton Steel livery of the 1950s. I am looking for a locomotive painter who is a superb craftsman and does meticulous work and is reasonably quick (6 months or less). The work will involve (at a minimum):

• Safety striping
  • New smokestack
  • New numbering and lettering

If you know of someone, please respond to this post or send me e-mail.

Thanks,

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

chuck

Re: Wanted: Superb locomotive painter

Postby chuck » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:59 pm

Is there any source material with the prototype paint scheme? The MTH premier line has the loco in black and white. The RailKing is black and yellow. RK also has the Weirton Steel name in black on a yellow stripe. Both models have the deck as black while the one B&W photo of the prototype has a light or possibly unpainted deck and a horribly aged hulk is in "color" (actually mostly rust) with indications that the units were black and yellow (can't tell about the names as most of the side panels/doors are gone).
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

G3750

Postby G3750 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:08 pm

chuck wrote:Is there any source material with the prototype paint scheme? The MTH premier line has the loco in black and white. The RailKing is black and yellow. RK also has the Weirton Steel name in black on a yellow stripe. Both models have the deck as black while the one B&W photo of the prototype has a light or possibly unpainted deck and a horribly aged hulk is in "color" (actually mostly rust) with indications that the units were black and yellow (can't tell about the names as most of the side panels/doors are gone).

Chuck,

MTH's Railking version is the SW1500 - that's a 1990's switcher they still use. I think the Premier unit is a very dark green (or it should be).

Weirton Steel first started acquiring these units in the 1940's. In the 40's and 50's (and even up to the end of the 90's) they were painted what we laughingly called "Columbia Gas Meter Green". Many years ago, I acquired another Lionel Western Pacific S-2 and had it repainted by Tommy Gilbert in Gettysburg, PA. He does absolutely exquisite work, but it took years to get it back from him. I don't want to repeat that.

Photos of the prototype and my other model of this locomotive are here: https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0B5aVbMKJ5FaAd

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

philo426

Postby philo426 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:25 pm

It is a simple paint scheme if you can get the decals abd the right shade if green paint..

jlong

Postby jlong » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:42 pm

In the unlikely event you didn't know, the "miscellaneous W" section of the fallen flags website has roughly 2 dozen color photos of Weirton Steel switchers in a rainbow of colors.

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/misc-w/misc-w.htm
Last edited by jlong on Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Long

One nation under Josh with ozone an magnetraction for all

chuck

Postby chuck » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:54 pm

Thanks!!! The MTH Premier units from 2019 look like they are black and white. Possibly a really dark "Brunswick Green" and the lettering and stripes are not yellow (unless it's a pale pastel yellow). The stripes remind me of the old Santa Fe switcher scheme from the late 50's/early 60's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7yIKYNjj40

Prototype photo, note the deck

It's possible that the decking is covered with "dust" from the operations?

Do you know if the Legacy version has been painted, decalled, or heat stamped? If you have to strip the paint a decal or worse a heat stamped/pad printed may be more difficult to remove.

The green in your photo album reminds me of Reading Green that PolyScale had in its lineup.

BTW, thanks John. I'm heading over there shortly.
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

G3750

Postby G3750 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:37 pm

jlong wrote:In the unlikely event you didn't know, the "miscellaneous W" section of the fallen flags website has roughly 2 dozen color photos of Weirton Steel switchers in a rainbow of colors.

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/misc-w/misc-w.htm

Wow John! I didn't know about this site. Thank you!!!

George

—Katy Faust

E7

Postby E7 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:28 pm

jlong wrote:In the unlikely event you didn't know, the "miscellaneous W" section of the fallen flags website has roughly 2 dozen color photos of Weirton Steel switchers in a rainbow of colors.

Pretty Kool stuff, John!!!

Rich

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”