Not easy applying long decal stripes!

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
philo426

Re: Not easy applying long decal stripes!

Postby philo426 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:27 am

Hey I am happy !the decals really snuggled down to the surface and after a few days I will airbrush some Future to seal the decals on! Image

philo426

Postby philo426 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:25 am

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:14 pm

Airplane modelers use Future to get a nice high-gloss finish on perspex canopies. I've never tried it, but I've seen the results and it is outstanding.

philo426

Postby philo426 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:35 pm

I used Future on both the NYC boxcab abd the RS-3 .. Very durable coating and non yellowing.

chuck

Postby chuck » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:48 pm

When Future works, it works well. When it doesn't its kind of a mess to fix. It's basically a clear acrylic varnish. You need to use an ammonia based product to remove it. I tried it on my CF-205 Arrow. On 90% of the body it worked beautifully. On the 10% it didn't work well I wound up using Novus No 2 polishing compound to "rub out" the affected areas. As this was on the underside and the plane is basically white (no decals in that area) I left it alone. I don't know if the airbrush caused the problems or there was something on the model that reacted badly to the floor wax. I till use Future (or whatever they call it now) and the bottle I have is almost 10 years old. I tend to "dip" clear parts in it and hang them up to dry.

I've switched back to Tamiya clear coat as it seems to have minimal problems with coverage and pretty much no problems with the airbrush. I have tried/used Micro Scale top coats (Gloss, Semi Gloss, and Flat) which are less problematic than Future but more so than Tamiya. I used to use Krylon rattle cans but found it has a slight yellow tint over time plus it's getting harder to find.
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:49 pm

I'm with you on the Tamiya matte overspray, although I'm using rattlecans of it. The stuff Testors is selling is junk, and I've had little luck with the Rustoleum or Krylon clear matte. I'm down to my last ModelMaster clear gloss, so that's being used judiciously. I was thinking of ordering a case of Tamiya clear matte for fear that they'll change the formula, but how long does rattlecan propellant stay viable? I'm told that there are acrylic clear matte rattlecans out there, but haven't seen or tried any of them.

There's nothing worse than finishing a paint job, applying all the decals, then destroying it with a lousy overspray.

philo426

Postby philo426 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:31 pm

I have a separate airbrush color cup just for Future .Much less chance for contamination and subsequent problems it can cause.Never had any issue with Future always had good results.

chuck

Postby chuck » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:38 pm

The stuff I am using is in the 23ml jars. I thin it with 25% Tamiya thinner. Great paint. Insane shelf life. I have a couple of jars that are close to 30 years old and they are still usable. Some have completely separated but they can be re-constituted with heavy duty mixing and straining.

I don't know who formulated their paints but there colors don't seem to match anyone's standards, not even their own. I've done a couple of Tamiya kits where they call for custom mixing their paints (e.g. 1/350 scale Bismark) or some of their 1/700 scale ships. Since they did a lot of WW-2 warships and modern aircraft I would think they would have come up with Light Gull Gray and Dark Sea Gray!

I have a separate airbrush color cup just for Future .Much less chance for contamination and subsequent problems it can cause.Never had any issue with Future always had good results.

Glad to hear it. When it works, it works great!
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

philo426

Postby philo426 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:01 pm

Indeed!

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”