Menard's First Locomotive

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
jlong

Re: Menard's First Locomotive

Postby jlong » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:32 am

HONDO74 wrote:
jlong wrote:
Robert Bubeck wrote:To judge from the OGR postings,the Menards F-whatever is shoody goods. It is rather rich to charge hobbyists $150 to be beta testers of such an unrefined effort. If the Lion coughed up a fir ball like this, they would be skinned alive. Everyone likes a bargain, but price isn't everything. Let's hope Menards does better on the next 'go'.

Respectfully,

Bob

It's not even on the market yet and they are already reviewing it. LMAO!!!!!

They are doing the same thing on the O Gauge forum.
New Menrads Engine Offering-Commentary
https://o-gaugeforum.com/thread/4726/ne ... commentary

Well, I commented. There is an assumption that the production model is going to be 150. I'm not buying that. This could be a KLine club way of introducing a new model for all we know. Some are offended by the negative reactions to the model. Well, being a beta test model, Menards wants to hear that. Not "woo hoo Menards, you save the hobby". That tells Menards very little.
John Long

One nation under Josh with ozone an magnetraction for all

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:38 pm

jlong wrote:

Well, I commented. There is an assumption that the production model is going to be 150. I'm not buying that. This could be a KLine club way of introducing a new model for all we know. Some are offended by the negative reactions to the model. Well, being a beta test model, Menards wants to hear that. Not "woo hoo Menards, you save the hobby". That tells Menards very little.[/quote]

You got it :wink: I jut find reading all the speculation to be amusing.....

jlong

Postby jlong » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:44 pm

HONDO74 wrote:
jlong wrote:

Well, I commented. There is an assumption that the production model is going to be 150. I'm not buying that. This could be a KLine club way of introducing a new model for all we know. Some are offended by the negative reactions to the model. Well, being a beta test model, Menards wants to hear that. Not "woo hoo Menards, you save the hobby". That tells Menards very little.

You got it :wink: I jut find reading all the speculation to be amusing.....[/quote]

Yes and they continue to pile on the nit pickers. This quote is straight from the Menards site. Some just won't get it.

This limited edition is our first locomotive, and we want to know your opinion of the model's appearance, functionality, reliability, performance, value, and most of all, did you have fun running it? This will help guide us in the future.

Please email your thoughts and feedback to Ray at Guest@menard-inc.com

Remember, the purpose of this test run is to gather feedback. The more people who get one, the better. With this in mind, and because the supply is so limited, we ask that you limit your purchase to one engine per customer.
John Long

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:58 pm

Several reviews were posted that did just what Menards asked for.
It seems to me that many OGR users think that their words carry a lot of weight with manufacturers/importers.
I don't know them but they must have a lot of influence. At least in their own minds.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:12 pm

This limited edition is our first locomotive, and we want to know your opinion of the model's appearance, functionality, reliability, performance, value, and most of all, did you have fun running it? This will help guide us in the future.

That latter might be important - having fun seems to have been forgotten by way too many people.

rogruth wrote:Several reviews were posted that did just what Menards asked for.
It seems to me that many OGR users think that their words carry a lot of weight with manufacturers/importers.
I don't know them but they must have a lot of influence. At least in their own minds.

You are probably better served by not knowing them given what might be going on in their minds. That vendors, manufacturers, or importers even show up there in any capacity just tells me that they are desperate for free entertainment.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:14 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

That latter might be important - having fun seems to have been forgotten by way too many people.

rogruth wrote:Several reviews were posted that did just what Menards asked for.

You are probably better served by not knowing them given what might be going on in their minds. That vendors, manufacturers, or importers even show up there in any capacity just tells me that they are desperate for free entertainment.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
roger

I support thread drift.

jlong

Postby jlong » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:56 pm

rogruth wrote:It seems to me that many OGR users think that their words carry a lot of weight with manufacturers/importers.

When putting demands on manufacturers, they have a tendency to write checks with their mouths that their bank accounts can't cover.
John Long

jlong

Postby jlong » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:27 pm

I don't recall a locomotive offering creating so much drama. The Beta engine has become a conspiracy!

OMG!!!!!

What is it with all you people who like to bring up conspiracies? Can't take Mark at his word? And we can stop with the lessons on doing business with China. It gets posted in almost every thread that deals with products coming from there....and usually by the same few people.

I'd say, "get a hobby," apparently some of you already have one: "Dissect and negatively commentate on every business decision by train companies, without any solid backup information.

I'm not making this shit up.

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/07-12-21-santa-fe-f3-diesel-locomotive-from-menards?page=14

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
John Long

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:37 pm

I find it interesting that there are 18 pages of comments about this loco on OGR.
I didn't read much but they even found ways to criticize Lionel while praising (with a little criticism of) Menards.
Apparently if Menards wants to sell this loco they, Menards, had better listen to the OGR forumites. :roll: :roll:
roger

I support thread drift.

jlong

Postby jlong » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:39 am

Seeing what Williams has done at this price point, I don't see anything ground breaking with this Menards offering.
John Long

G3750

Postby G3750 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:08 pm

rogruth wrote:I find it interesting that there are 18 pages of comments about this loco on OGR.
I didn't read much but they even found ways to criticize Lionel while praising (with a little criticism of) Menards.
Apparently if Menards wants to sell this loco they, Menards, had better listen to the OGR forumites. :roll: :roll:

Those people always find a way to criticize Lionel while ignoring the much more egregious sins of someone who's made a career out of playing them for suckers. :lol: :lol: :lol:

But apparently they consider him a saint-in-waiting. :roll:

The hypocrisy is off the scale. :shock:

If I were planning such a product, I'd be very careful about qualifying the sources of input. Random forum BS wouldn't really move the dial too much.

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

Neil

Postby Neil » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:44 am

My guess is Menards comes out with an improved version, but at 199.95 :).
Neil

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:37 pm

It will really need to be compatible with any Lionel trains.
Most seem to be very pleased with the various sounds.
I can take or leave the sounds but would be more
concerned about the "jack rabbit" starts.
$200.00 might still be a good price if some problems are fixed.
roger

I support thread drift.

chuck

Postby chuck » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:11 pm

Most of those people need to have their hearing checked! The voice announcements are at least intelligible but are equally non-sensical. The horn is worse than terrible. The bell at least sounds like a bell. Engine sounds appear to be on or off, no start up, no shutdown, no ramp up or ramp down, no variation with speed. Sound is not a reason to buy one of these. Actually I can't think of a good reason to buy one of these at the price point offered. For about $50 more you can get a nice Williams engine with better operating features and better sound.
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:38 pm

chuck wrote:

Most of those people need to have their hearing checked! The voice announcements are at least intelligible but are equally non-sensical. The horn is worse than terrible. The bell at least sounds like a bell. Engine sounds appear to be on or off, no start up, no shutdown, no ramp up or ramp down, no variation with speed. Sound is not a reason to buy one of these. Actually I can't think of a good reason to buy one of these at the price point offered. For about $50 more you can get a nice Williams engine with better operating features and better sound.

I do agree.
roger

I support thread drift.

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”