Menard's First Locomotive

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
Neil

Re: Menard's First Locomotive

Postby Neil » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:39 pm

Pretty sure that if Lionel made such a thing, they'd be roasted alive :). As they should be. Let's hope Menards fixes the flaws and keeps the price down, as Lionel Scout Sets and Marx did provide some enjoyment to those whose budgets could not allow the higher quality stuff. I'm less pessimistic and critical than Bob, although I see his point about feeding the China beast. We did not realize soon enough that the current leadership were more like Stalin or Mao than like Gorbachev and Deng Xiaoping. An autocratic monster, not a true reformer.
Neil

Robert Bubeck

Postby Robert Bubeck » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:05 pm

We might add, Neil, that the entry level trains from Lionel, Gilbert, and (earlier) Marx were made with a decent level of integrity. Those trains still run (or can be easily made to run) 70 years later. In the day, Lionel and Flyer had parts and networks of service stations. Price alone is not the only consideration (as we know :wink: ).

Bob

jlong

Postby jlong » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:12 pm

Makes me think of the ill fated $50 geep K-Line put out 15 or so years ago.
John Long

One nation under Josh with ozone an magnetraction for all

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:52 pm

jlong wrote:Makes me think of the ill fated $50 geep K-Line put out 15 or so years ago.

I have one of those that I got for my grandson. I think I paid $25.00. It ran OK for a 3 year old.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

chuck

Postby chuck » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:48 pm

Stumbled on a video review. Raised more questions than it answered. I know this is weird doing a review of a review, Cest le Vie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PQaFZkQYsU

Paint job, decently applied, glaring errors. The trucks and pilot are PLATED. No idea why. Still not sure what prototype they based it on. It's longer than a typical F unit. Some have guessed and FP?

Sounds. OK bell bad, horn really bad, like LocoSounds bad. A bunch of voice overs. Engine sound better than LocoSounds?

Speed/Control. One speed fast, like drag race fast. Stops on a dime, no coasting action. Since it only runs at warps speed you can't even slow it down. I suspect hitting direction change without stopping would be an incredibly bad idea.

Can it be run under "conventional control? Who knows. Reviewer only used the remote.

$150. I don't know. I find my one LC Plus engine to be a better buy with only a $50 increase in price. Better sounds and much better control. The only thing it can't do is TMCC (LC Plus 2.0 would).
Last edited by chuck on Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

jlong

Postby jlong » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:49 pm

For the price point, I will stick with Richard Kughn locomotives with first generation Railsounds, Pullmore motors and Magnetraction. Solid and robust and will last forever.
John Long

Robert Bubeck

Postby Robert Bubeck » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:27 pm

To judge from the OGR postings,the Menards F-whatever is shoody goods. It is rather rich to charge hobbyists $150 to be beta testers of such an unrefined effort. If the Lion coughed up a fir ball like this, they would be skinned alive. Everyone likes a bargain, but price isn't everything. Let's hope Menards does better on the next 'go'.

Respectfully,

Bob

chuck

Postby chuck » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:45 pm

To judge from the OGR postings,the Menards F-whatever is shoddy goods.

You can dress a pig in a prom dress and even put lipstick on it but you don't wind up with a princess/prom queen. You just wind up with a well dressed/made up pig. :lol:
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:48 pm

I thought at first that I would like one of these (in a different road name)
but after reading the posts about it I think I would rather have another Williams.
Or a LionChief +. Probably won't get any.
roger

I support thread drift.

Neil

Postby Neil » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:57 pm

Clearly half baked. I would have bought one, just out of curiosity. But it is interesting that a forum that is ready to promote Mike Wolf to the fifth head on Mount Rushmore and crucify Lionel for any failures is largely madly thrilled with this, at best, not ready for prime time product. Says something about the psychology of people in the hobby, or at least those who post on internet forums. Not sure what, except that irrationality and foaming like the crowd at the Roman Coliseum still reign supreme amongst the rabble. :)
Neil

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:05 pm

Neil wrote:Clearly half baked. I would have bought one, just out of curiosity. But it is interesting that a forum that is ready to promote Mike Wolf to the fifth head on Mount Rushmore and crucify Lionel for any failures is largely madly thrilled with this, at best, not ready for prime time product. Says something about the psychology of people in the hobby, or at least those who post on internet forums. Not sure what, except that irrationality and foaming like the crowd at the Roman Coliseum still reign supreme amongst the rabble. :)

I don't think I have ever seen DCS in use in a live situation and do not know about on video but several here have mentioned its many faults
so maybe it is not to hard for those that like problem solving would like this loco.
roger

I support thread drift.

jlong

Postby jlong » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:36 pm

Robert Bubeck wrote:To judge from the OGR postings,the Menards F-whatever is shoody goods. It is rather rich to charge hobbyists $150 to be beta testers of such an unrefined effort. If the Lion coughed up a fir ball like this, they would be skinned alive. Everyone likes a bargain, but price isn't everything. Let's hope Menards does better on the next 'go'.

Respectfully,

Bob

It's not even on the market yet and they are already reviewing it. LMAO!!!!!
John Long

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:56 pm

jlong wrote:
Robert Bubeck wrote:To judge from the OGR postings,the Menards F-whatever is shoody goods. It is rather rich to charge hobbyists $150 to be beta testers of such an unrefined effort. If the Lion coughed up a fir ball like this, they would be skinned alive. Everyone likes a bargain, but price isn't everything. Let's hope Menards does better on the next 'go'.

Respectfully,

Bob

They are doing the same thing on the O Gauge forum.
New Menrads Engine Offering-Commentary
https://o-gaugeforum.com/thread/4726/ne ... commentary

Here is a good one for you..... :lol:
Well the First Menards engine has been listed on ebay
https://o-gaugeforum.com/thread/4825/fi ... isted-ebay

For sale for only $300.00.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:38 pm

HONDO74 wrote:
jlong wrote:

Respectfully,

Bob

They are doing the same thing on the O Gauge forum.
New Menrads Engine Offering-Commentary
https://o-gaugeforum.com/thread/4726/ne ... commentary

Here is a good one for you..... :lol:

I might offer $25.00. I would have gone @150.00 before the user reviews came out.
roger

I support thread drift.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:22 am

HONDO74 wrote:Here is a good one for you..... :lol:

Speedier than I would have thought. Curious if it sells - that collector must-have mentality is strong, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”