Weekend Photos - July 2021

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
healey36

Re: Weekend Photos - July 2021

Postby healey36 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:04 pm

I inch closer and closer to digging out the airbrush. It's been a long time since I've used it, so a bit of practice will be in order. I usually get decent results with it, but I hate cleaning up afterwards. Doing one-offs is painful; best if you have three or four or more, assembly-line fashion.

The tank sits out on the terrace baking in the sunlight. Hopefully the squirrels don't pick it up and toss it off the table.

But first, I need to reassemble the Keurig.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:08 pm

healey36 wrote:I inch closer and closer to digging out the airbrush. It's been a long time since I've used it, so a bit of practice will be in order. I usually get decent results with it, but I hate cleaning up afterwards. Doing one-offs is painful; best if you have three or four or more, assembly-line fashion.

Yes, spend time setting up, spend time getting everything prefect to paint, paint 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th (5th) surface/direction, tear down and clean everything....and the day is gone. Nope, was outside in driveway with 3 rattle cans and done. Set it in the sun to bake on.

The tank sits out on the terrace baking in the sunlight. Hopefully the squirrels don't pick it up and toss it off the table.

Got to watch those squirrels; into the petunias, the peppers, and my tomatoes, too. If we were in CO, we'd be worried about botulism in the squirrels...

Could be painful....
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:45 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
healey36 wrote:I inch closer and closer to digging out the airbrush. It's been a long time since I've used it, so a bit of practice will be in order. I usually get decent results with it, but I hate cleaning up afterwards. Doing one-offs is painful; best if you have three or four or more, assembly-line fashion.

Yes, spend time setting up, spend time getting everything prefect to paint, paint 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th (5th) surface/direction, tear down and clean everything....and the day is gone. Nope, was outside in driveway with 3 rattle cans and done. Set it in the sun to bake on.

Got to watch those squirrels; into the petunias, the peppers, and my tomatoes, too. If we were in CO, we'd be worried about botulism in the squirrels...

Could be painful....

Cleaning up after the pod explosion was painful. I knew it didn't act right when I put the pod in the machine, but when you're in the middle of caffeine withdrawals, you sometimes make bad decisions. No worries, the machine is back together and the newly painted kitchen ceiling is nearly dry.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:49 pm

Finished the tank refurb on the Flyer 3018:

This was a replace-the-endcap-and-repaint-the-tank project only, with everything else untouched. This reeks of a project half-done, but I wanted to leave all of the other scuffs and dings as is. Would have been easy enough to have disassembled the frame and repainted all that, but I left it. Drilling out and re-riveting the trucks bore some weight in the decision (laziness).

Reassembly proved fairly straightforward; I was thinking this might be one of those efforts where three or four hands were required simultaneously. The paint match is a miss (tank and truck frames should match) and I had to use one copper journal from the bit box as a replacement for a missing brass one (proving to me that Lionel and American Flyer journals were exactly the same). The gold decals ("AFL" and "3018") are hard to see, as were the originals. Seems better than it was, though.

I'll have to look up the vintage of this thing; I'm guessing early 1930s, still Chicago, a few years before A. C. Gilbert took over. I'm left wondering which was tougher to assemble at the factory, the Flyer 3018 or the Lionel 804/654. The handrails on the Lionel can be a bear.

Now I have a 1118 frame and trucks to play with. I should start on this, now that I understand how they come apart:

Next-gen 3018...

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:18 pm

healey36 wrote:Now I have a 1118 frame and trucks to play with. I should start on this, now that I understand how they come apart

Why not? Beats going outside and pushing around a mower, right, :wink: :wink:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:55 pm

I did a bit of that today, then drank a pair of 1623 Hefeweizen. Only beer I’ve ever had where no two cans seem to taste alike.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:01 pm

healey36 wrote:I did a bit of that today, then drank a pair of 1623 Hefeweizen. Only beer I’ve ever had where no two cans seem to taste alike.

I sat out on the deck and read until the serenading mowers proved too annoying.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:05 pm

July is closing out with a whimper at this end...not a lot of progress on projects other than the 1:1 scale garage repaint. Two sides down, one left to go (the north-facing front side seems in good shape, so we're deferring that to next year).

The Parlor Flats depot has been squared up and glued to the base. The track-side wall needs a bit of plomb to make sure the bump-out works, then a few cement door sills and a section of platform for the sliding-door end. I haven't decided on the roof yet. I was leaning toward a faux tar-paper look, but then I got an Evans Design texture disc from Sarge that might have some better options; I just need to see if I can get it to boot on my ten year-old laptop.

From the anal-retentive department, I got this Lesney no. 73 Ferrari "shark-nose" from a mate, possibly from his childhood collection, and was wondering why it had no markings or driver figure as I've seen in all other examples. I ordered a set of decals and a driver from the guys over at recovertoy.com. The decals came in a while back, and the backordered driver figure came in today. While waiting, I kept looking at this thing wondering why no markings or driver. I did a bit more research and it turns out a version was manufactured without them, so now the quandary, go ahead and add them or leave it as original?

Don't even get me started on finding a box.

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”