Atlas/MTH Trains

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
webenda

Atlas/MTH Trains

Postby webenda » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:39 pm

----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Atlas/MTH Trains

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:05 am

Just what does "Guaranteed Pre-Order Due Date" mean?

If you place your order by that date, you are guaranteed of having placed your order?
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Neil

Postby Neil » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:58 am

Whatever modest price advantage MTH had over Lionel appears to have disappeared now that Atlas is making some of their stuff. Be interesting to see how this all works out for Atlas.
Neil

webenda

Postby webenda » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:12 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Just what does "Guaranteed Pre-Order Due Date" mean?

If you place your order by that date, you are guaranteed of having placed your order?

It means more than that. Guaranteed Pre-Orders will be filled if Atlas receives the order by the July 28th due date.
They will deliver the pre-orders even if there are a low number of pre-orders.

Example: The SD40-2 LOCOMOTIVE delivery is Guaranteed.

Atlas also has "Limited Availability" products in the MTH Premier Catalog. Limited Availability products are those that Atlas has speculated on an order quantity and therefore delivery cannot be guaranteed. The 44 tonner is "Limited Availability." Delivery of pre-orders not guaranteed.

Example: The 44 tonner is Limited, no guarantee of delivery.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:39 am

$450 for 44T switcher.....
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

webenda

Postby webenda » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:51 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:$450 for 44T switcher.....

Is that good?

----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

Neil

Postby Neil » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:39 pm

I vaguely recall that the 44 Ton switcher used to be under $400 MSRP, but I could be wrong. So these prices, like most of the Atlas prices, are about 10% higher than the previous MTH prices.
Neil

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:41 pm

webenda wrote:

Is that good?

It's more than what a decent scale brass 44T costs and about double what my current one cost me.

Robert Bubeck

Postby Robert Bubeck » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:03 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
webenda wrote:

Is that good?

It's more than what a decent scale brass 44T costs and about double what my current one cost me.

Generally, the 44 Tonners from MTH were available for $400. I have a first issue LIRR version (as does a friend who has a PRR version). These are die cast and very nice little critters. They are good models, are well-made, operate well with slow crawl capability, sport decent sounds, and run (and pull) well under conventional control. The electrocouplers are functional in conventional control. Are they pricey? Yes. Am I delighted with mine? Yes. Like MTH's CNJ GE-IR box cab (another neat little die cast critter) the individual needs to come to his/her own conclusion about the value proposition. Remember that the Bachmann pieces are plastic with few features to speak off.

And, I am not a big MTH/DCS fan. :wink:

Bob

Neil

Postby Neil » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:19 pm

I agree with Bob on his assessment. Have a Kodak version.
Neil

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:27 pm

The Gunderson Multi-Max Auto Rack is a very interesting choice for a plastic O-scale model. It is a very modern car - the prototype was introduced in 2013, so they might still be in service in year 2078 under the AAR rule allowing cars to operate up to 65 years after their built date.

It's also a big car - the prototype Multi-Maxes are 89 ft long plus couplers, so an O-scale model will just under 2 actual feet long. I've read lots of posts from modelers who claim that big scale-sized cars won't sell (even though Atlas already did 89' long TOFC cars, two different types of articulated double stack cars and the articulated auto carrier... and Lionel did the 89' long auto parts boxcars and 89' long autoracks.)

Atlas also imports HO-scale models of the same prototype, It's interesting to compare prices; the HO cars retailed for $99.95 while the O-scale 2-Rail cars will retail for $144.95.

v8vega

Postby v8vega » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:39 am

I think all Atlas stuff is scale size.

G3750

Postby G3750 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:31 am

I also tend to agree with Bob's assessment.

In the current economic "adjustment" we are undergoing, prices are going (already have in many cases) up. I don't expect to see anything different in the train world. The MTH / Atlas "shakeout" is the perfect opportunity to raise prices, perhaps to reflect reality.

More pressure on the used market, I would expect.

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:00 am

G3750 wrote:More pressure on the used market, I would expect.

Those of us that sell there are optimistic :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

chuck

Postby chuck » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:47 pm

That auto rack will scale out to 22 inches. Yet it will "run" on O-42? That is going to involve some serious overhang. Two rail is limited to what would be O-72 (36" radius).
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”