Weekend Photos - June 2021

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Weekend Photos - June 2021

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:28 pm

healey36 wrote:I'd have a hard time selling off my hand tools. Too much personal history there.

And, that's why I still have mine.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:00 pm

healey36 wrote:I have a Lie-Nielsen draw-knife around here somewhere; it works great, but again, you have to keep blade(s) really sharp. It came with a set of blades one could use to cut beads on edges, which is handy when you're making the joinery for a folding table or bi-fold cabinet doors. That said, I've probably used it a half-dozen times in thirty years.

What do you use your block plane for on a daily basis?

I’m a wood flooring contractor so I’m almost always fine tuning edges. Mostly when bringing multiple rooms together. One may gain compared to the other, notching around flush heat vents and banding fireplaces, etc. I have several LN bench planes that I should use more for what I have invested in them. They’re a real joy to use, the only thing close to them are the older Stanely bedrock style planes.

G3750

Postby G3750 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:48 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
healey36 wrote:I'd have a hard time selling off my hand tools. Too much personal history there.

And, that's why I still have mine.

Oh my, yes! I have my father's tools and my grandfather's (the model ship builder). Way too hard to part with those.

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:47 am

gregj410 wrote:I’m a wood flooring contractor so I’m almost always fine tuning edges. Mostly when bringing multiple rooms together. One may gain compared to the other, notching around flush heat vents and banding fireplaces, etc. I have several LN bench planes that I should use more for what I have invested in them. They’re a real joy to use, the only thing close to them are the older Stanely bedrock style planes.

Makes sense...I could see numerous applications for a nice set of planes, big and small, doing that work.

Probably 25 years ago, I had wood floors put down in the living and dining rooms of this old house. It was strange to me that the house, built in 1950, was carpeted throughout (carpet over plywood over some sort of tongue-n-groove sub-flooring laid on a diagonal). I remember when we looked at the place before buying it, I lifted up the carpet in a corner thinking there'd be wood flooring underneath, but was surprised to see plywood. The carpet was top-grade wool, something else I was unfamiliar with.

Anyway, after we'd lived there a few years, I had a local contractor come in and install some pre-finished flooring. That was a mistake for a number of reasons, but I was relatively young at the time, didn't have much money, etc. They've held up reasonably well, except in high-traffic areas. The thing that amazed me, and still amazes me, is the job the contractor did fitting the flooring in and around the hot-water radiator/heaters in each room. I can't imagine how he did it, but the fit and finish is drop-dead perfect. He was quite the carpenter with some really nice tools to pull that off.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:45 am

One more off-topic ship pic, than I'll leave it be for awhile:

A 1/2400 Viking Forge casting of USS Nevada as built and launched in 1916. Cage masts presented a challenge, especially in light of some mucked up detail. Generally, however, it seemed to work. Nevada is a favorite ship, having a long storied career, rebuilt and/or reconstructed five times during her 30 year career. Her sister, Oklahoma, was not as fortunate, never returning to service after her sinking at Pearl Harbor.

The coin (lucky piece) in the picture is a souvenir of the Century of Progress exposition held in Chicago in 1933-1934, issued by the Union Pacific Railroad in 1934 to commemorate the development, construction, and entry into service of the M-10000. It's cast or stamped from Duralum, the alloy used in the innovative construction of the train. You find these occasionally in tubs of old coins at flea markets and antique malls. This one seems to be in especially nice condition.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:52 am

healey36 wrote:A 1/2400 Viking Forge casting of USS Nevada as built and launched in 1916.

Teeny-tiny model! :wink: :wink: Maybe you could put in an O scale store front window?
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:18 pm

Eons ago, there was a ship model shop in Annapolis called, wait for it.............The Ship Shop. Spent a lot of hours and treasure in there. Maybe that could be the "model".

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”