Weekend Photos - May 2021

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
Chris Webster

Re: Weekend Photos - May 2021

Postby Chris Webster » Tue May 11, 2021 9:17 am

healey36 wrote:Ran to Lowe's this AM for some garden odds-n-ends; while there I checked on the plywood...$89.00 for a sheet of 5/8-inch good-two-sides exterior grade. Yup, shed ain't happening this summer.

One of the Sipping & Switching Society of NC guys posted that he'd bought a 5' x 5' 15 ply birch plywood sheet in November for $66.82 after tax. Now the same product at the same retailer costs $152.83!

(Before someone replies to say that 15 ply is overkill, I'll mention that they use it to make endplates for their modules.)

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat May 15, 2021 8:07 am

I made a run up to Sarge’s place yesterday, a glorious cool spring day, one in a string we’ve been enjoying of late. I wasn’t sure I’d be able to make it, having run the BMW down to near empty and petrol having run scarce in the last few days. Efforts to procure a fill of hi-test had come up empty the day before, but I decided to roll the dice and head off, hopeful I’d find at least a few gallons somewhere along the way. A few miles this side of the Mason-Dixon I hit paydirt, filling up at a small Shell outlet…$4.069/gallon, but I was glad to get it.

I had a 3-rail Weaver model of a Reading covered-hopper to drop off for Sarge, figuring he could easily convert it to 2-rail, grunge it up a bit, then use it on the layout in one of his scenarios. Why I had this, I’m not sure, as it certainly doesn’t fit with the 99% prewar tinplate content here. Best sent to a good home where it’ll see some sunlight.

Rufus had mentioned he was leaving me something at Sarge’s on his most recent pass-through a week or so ago, giving no hints. I was expecting a few detail parts or other odds-n-ends, but what I found was this:

Wow, how bloody extraordinary is that? Just fantastic. Loosely based on Jack Kett’s clothing store from a vintage copy of Toy Trains magazine, but in true model form. If I had one tenth of the skill and ingenuity required to produce something like this, I’d attempt it and send something back in return, but I’m pretty sure that I don’t. We’ll have to work something out. In the meantime, I’ll envision The Old Man, an avid pipe-smoker, in there trying to run down a pouch of Edgeworth.

Thanks, Martin. Pretty damn cool.

Paul

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun May 16, 2021 7:16 am

Glad you like it. Was a fun exercise and more fun to give it away.

That's the 3rd one this year I've built and dropped on someone just for the fun of it. Wrapped up the 4th one just a while ago and it's waiting for its delivery to its new owner.....
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

robert.

Postby robert. » Sun May 16, 2021 5:57 pm

Nice building. You could modernize your layout with that one. Get yourself a few hoodlums to pull down that cigar store Indian. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

RBH29

Postby RBH29 » Mon May 17, 2021 6:07 am

Excellent modeling! The Indian really makes it unique. Where did he come from?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon May 17, 2021 6:51 am

RBH29 wrote:Excellent modeling! The Indian really makes it unique. Where did he come from?

Thanks; he was a last minute addition to better set the scene; Scale City Designs
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

G3750

Postby G3750 » Mon May 17, 2021 9:05 am

Paul - the drive sounds like fun - one of those just for the h*** of it larks.

Martin - the building is gorgeous. Very cool. 8)

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon May 17, 2021 10:09 am

G3750 wrote:Martin - the building is gorgeous. Very cool. 8)

Thanks, George. Been having a bit of fun scratchbuilding smaller buildings this past year or more now. The large structure I was working on has been stalled out on the bench much of the year; doubly so now that I'm also working on that Nighthawks kit that's taken over the entire end of the bench.

Neil

Postby Neil » Tue May 18, 2021 3:46 pm

Is this the "Nighthawks" cafe only or the entire street of buildings? It's interesting that John Armstrong expanded the scene in the painting which really only hints at the adjacent building next to the cafe. I have the Art Institute of Chicago print of the painting here in my office. I'm going to have someone build the cafe from the kit, since I have neither the time nor talent.
Neil

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue May 18, 2021 3:57 pm

Neil wrote:Is this the "Nighthawks" cafe only or the entire street of buildings?

The kit I am working on is just the cafe and the immediately attached building; pretty good sized.

But apparently there is an option/version available that provides for larger scene that includes more buildings and maybe the entire street's worth. Just the kit I have on the bench is already testing the available space and my patience both.

It's interesting that John Armstrong expanded the scene in the painting which really only hints at the adjacent building next to the cafe. I have the Art Institute of Chicago print of the painting here in my office. I'm going to have someone build the cafe from the kit, since I have neither the time nor talent.

Time I have available as I will be writing a review of it. Talent I generally am possesses of; however, I am finding this kit to be a challenge. There are some non-trivial aspects to its assembly and the instructions (always an issue for me...) leave something to be desired in direction and detail.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon May 24, 2021 12:25 pm

Haven't seen a Cootie toy in forever, Wayne, and with the cicadas emerging, it felt timely. I remember my grandmother having a copy of the game which we kids played with. Similar to the game "Mousetrap", it was more fun just to play with the bits than as intended, a game.

Was down to Pikesville last Friday evening, and the place was positively crawling with cicadas. Not too much racket yet, but that's coming. Here 20 miles northwest, I haven't seen any, which is pretty much how I remember it from past cycles. Not sure why we are in a cicada-free bubble, but I'm generally okay with it. I'm sure we'll see a few here, but not too many.

I picked up this Flyer 411 from 1939 in an effort to complete one last prewar set:

An example of not looking closely enough at eBay images, it has a big rectangular smudge on one side where a label, decal, or piece of tape once sat. I'm hoping that polishes off when I get around to it. The light needs a resolder.

I wonder if prewar link couplers work better than the postwar version. I doubt it.

Healey

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”