Re Subscribing to CTT magazine

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
jlong

Re Subscribing to CTT magazine

Postby jlong » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:34 pm

The countdown is coming to an end and MTH will be no more. I will be re-subscribing to CTT magazine because the MTH junk will be gone.
John Long

One nation under Josh with ozone an magnetraction for all

G3750

Re: Re Subscribing to CTT magazine

Postby G3750 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:53 pm

jlong wrote:The countdown is coming to an end and MTH will be no more. I will be re-subscribing to CTT magazine because the MTH junk will be gone.

You don't know that, John.

Methinks the "going out of business" sale might take years. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

v8vega

Postby v8vega » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:49 am

i like CTT, I go on their forum daily. The Coffee pot is something different but is what really is the main thing there. I fuess I like yo post along with others.

MartyE

Postby MartyE » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:19 pm

I wouldn't bet on MTH going away. I smell a rat.
"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn’t mind who gets the credit."
MartyE.com and KodiakJunction.com Home to Kodiak Junction U.S.A.

chuck

Postby chuck » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:58 pm

I keep getting emails from various train web sites on the final, Final, FINAL MTH releases, including NEW items not previously announced or listed. Huh?
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

Neil

Postby Neil » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:22 pm

I think we'll be hearing about MTH special runs for a while to come. For whatever set of reasons, Mike Wolf has decided to continue some of the business without a real company or any catalogs. Their overhead is quite low I'd guess and this enables his employees to continue to earn a living of some sort, and keep some of their dealers in business. It's been grossly mishandled, but given the lack of interest in anyone buying the company, perhaps this was unavoidable. He always did have an inflated sense of his own importance and entitlement, from high school onward. I've heard tales. This is one way of keeping his persona in the public eye and perhaps do some generous things for his long time employees. Or there may be other reasons, such as a needed commitment to keep his factory busy until Atlas ramps up production. Getting the factory to agree to serve Atlas may have depended on MTH contracting some level of production during the transition, I wouldn't be surprised.

I have maintained my subscription to CTT, and most of the modeling shown is, pleasingly, to me, Lionel, K-Line, American Flyer, etc.

The late Neil Beosougloff as editor in chief really did turn off Lionel fans with his ill-informed and strident editorial about the lawsuit, and guaranteed that Lionel would not advertise in CTT while Neil was in charge. To my knowledge, Lionel never has advertised in CTT since that editorial, give or take, and Besougloff hasn't been editor now for many years. He really shot Kalmbach in the foot on that one.

God knows what Besougloff was thinking. I would assume he had no scientific or technical training or experience, since the MTH lawsuit was utter BS to anyone who understands anything about technology. Besougloff bought into a line of scientific and technical crap that Lionel had stolen MTH's designs, a dog which never should have hunted in the first trial. I can only also assume the jury had absolutely no one on it who understood any aspect of product design and manufacturer. No wonder the appeals court threw out the initial verdict, apparently because MTH's expert witness was totally off base and gave testimony that wouldn't have stood up in a first year engineering course :).

My guess is that despite getting money from Lionel in the bankruptcy court proceedings, MTH lost a lot of sales, momentum and money on this fool's errand. An endeavor that likely represented Mike Wolf's ego and sense of entitlement more than any legitimate search for justice.
Neil

healey36

Postby healey36 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:59 am

Last time I saw an issue of CTT, it looked to be half the number of pages from just a decade ago. I can't imagine losing the MTH account will have a positive effect on the revenue stream.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:22 am

healey36 wrote:Last time I saw an issue of CTT, it looked to be half the number of pages from just a decade ago. I can't imagine losing the MTH account will have a positive effect on the revenue stream.

Just like the newspapers in this country. Magazines will be going out of business also. Advertisers pay the bills, not the subscribers.

jlong

Postby jlong » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:39 pm

Neil wrote:I think we'll be hearing about MTH special runs for a while to come.

Well of course. MTH flooded the market with junk and it will take light years for dealers to dispose of it all to technicians who know how to make the junk run.

Neil wrote:
Neil wrote:The late Neil Beosougloff as editor in chief really did turn off Lionel fans with his ill-informed and strident editorial about the lawsuit, and guaranteed that Lionel would not advertise in CTT while Neil was in charge.

Yea and I remember how the TCA told him to pound salt when he demanded Lionel execs be kicked out of the TCA.
John Long

One nation under Josh with ozone an magnetraction for all

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”