Weekend Photos - April 2021

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Weekend Photos - April 2021

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:22 am

rogruth wrote:I would really think hard about using black on any part of the ceiling. I think it would affect the overall lighting adversely.

Agree.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:13 am

Better than plane old go carts.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:26 pm

bluelinec4 wrote:Hey Greg You know theres a guy on anther forum that has more clamps than you :D

Yes! He and Norm Abram call me from time to time when they’re short a clamp :lol:

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:35 pm

healey36 wrote:Looks brilliant, Greg. Reminds me a bit of the terrain just west of Cheyenne, Wyoming (UP country).

Most of the scale modelers I’ve known (HO primarily) always had a back-to-front method to their madness when it came to scenery (although I don’t remember many of them using backdrops other than a bit of paint).

The question I always had was when you got around to building your elevations in front of the b/d, how does one keep from slopping hydrocal all over it. Track, you can mask that pretty easily, but the b/d seems pretty vulnerable. If it has a vinyl coating on it like some grades of wallpaper, seems then you could wipe it down.

Anyway, looks great behind those epic long runs of track work.

Thank you! That’s the look I’m going for! I mostly try to be careful when I model up close to it with another medium. I found the PoP residue comes off with water. I did somehow get a spot of something that wouldn’t come off with water. In my Infinte wisdom I lightly hit it with alcohol :shock: not the best choice or my finest moment as it left a whitish looking cloud. I haven’t decided what to do with it yet. Maybe a flock of o scale sea gulls or a suspended o scale bi plan in front of it. :lol: We’ll see

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:51 pm

gregj410 wrote:Maybe a flock of o scale sea gulls..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:59 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

That’s cringeworthy :lol:

G3750

Postby G3750 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:31 am

Greg,

It’s always a challenge when you have a backdrop with details in front of it. What I’ve done is try to work high to low and back to front. Not easily done. With the Great Stuff foam and styrofoam technique, I sometimes divide the completed section from the part in progress with a wax paper barrier. You can also cover the built area with it.

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

healey36

Postby healey36 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:20 am

gregj410 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

Good Lord, what happened to these guys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lBAECXNw9I

I'm glad I haven't aged...much...

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:26 am

healey36 wrote:Good Lord, what happened to these guys?

They got old.................and fat, :wink: :wink:

Never! Not going to happen!

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:15 am

healey36 wrote:
gregj410 wrote:

Good Lord, what happened to these guys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lBAECXNw9I

Quite a difference between now and 1982.... :wink:

Dick Clark interviews A Flock of Seagulls - American Bandstand 1982
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggj087gpoyk

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:21 pm

Yeah, those guys look like they've taken a beating. I always liked the sound of power-chord bands, and FOSG was right up there.

For now, I've finished the Toy Trains oil storage shed:

I kinda butchered this up trying to print and cement in paper corners to cover the matt-board edges. I couldn't quite seem to print sections that matched the block pattern when going around the corners. No worries, it's for tinplate so I'll chalk it up to bad lithography.

I used MS Paint to make a door with a bit of pixel re-coloring/editing of the deck planking, then hung it from some balsa "track". Seemed to work. Printed a couple signs and a circus poster from the internet, trimmed 'em up and pasted them on (in hindsight, I realized I could have just "pasted" them into the scans in MS Paint). I thought about making a wood deck from some basswood scraps I found, but figured that would look too realistic, so I made a cardboard "slab" and painted it using some of the precious Floquil "concrete" stash. For whatever reason, Carstens didn't include a roof, so I made one using a piece of USPS shipping box cardboard, a few strips of cardstock cut to look like tarpaper, then gave it a shot of some textured paint, followed by some satin black.

I've got a few resin-cast oil drums around here someplace...might drop a couple of those on the platform. The only thing left is to figure out how one gets up there. Ladder, a set of steps, a few rungs fashioned from staples? I dunno, but gotta figure something out.

Healey

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:33 am

Looks great! I’m still amazed at what can be made to look realistic from a printer!

Ladder, a set of steps, a few rungs fashioned from staples? I dunno, but gotta figure something out.

Maybe a ramp?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:06 am

That looks very good!

I probably need to drop you a care package of resin castings - crate & barrels, etc. Maybe drop off with Sarge later this week... :wink: :wink:

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:51 am

I've got a few 55-gallon drum castings around here, just need to lay my hands on them. I think they came as freebies in a RustyRail order. I might try to stain up that "concrete" slab a bit...has to have been some spillage over the years, right?

What day are you swinging by Sarge's? I might try to get up there on Wednesday.

G3750

Postby G3750 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:54 am

Looks great, Paul!!

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”