Weekend Photos - April 2021

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
healey36

Weekend Photos - April 2021

Postby healey36 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:57 pm

I hate to start off by posting pics of stuff I've simply acquired, but this was something I'd been chasing for awhile...a Lionel Corp. (MTH) Flying Yankee in its final variation (similar but not exact in scheme to Lionel's version from the late 1930s):

The Old Man was a Streamliner hound from his youth, likely inflamed by a visit to the Century of Progress exposition in Chicago in 1934 when the UP brought in their M-10000 and the CB&Q introduced their Pioneer Zephyr. He asked for a Flyer Zephyr for Christmas that year, but a quite frugal Santa gave him a Hoge 900 instead. The combination of the two events sent him on a life-long search for Streamliners. His pride and joy was a contemporary Consoli Zephyr set made from bits manufactured by Western Coil before the war. We still have it, runs like a champ...it belongs to my daughter now.

I always liked the look of the last Lionel version of the Flying Yankee, painted in a subdued silver/steel instead of the garish chrome versions. That and the red painted shroud at the head end just made a nice train. Finding a "traditional" MTH version was tough, but we chased one down at Mario's back in the fall. It was my 2020 Christmas present from the family. Finally got it on a loop of track today and it ran, whistled, and lit up great (which is a rarity for me and new tinplate production). This is probably the last set I'll be buying, as I can't think of anything else I've just got to have.

Oh, and the Tiffany desk clock came back:

They threw in a new box and bag, two items that disappeared decades ago. New Swiss quartz movement, cleaned, polished up, I'm hoping it's good for another 30-40 years. I don't plan to be here the next time it needs service.

A couple examples of of the stylistic Streamline Moderne for the weekend.

Healey

G3750

Re: Weekend Photos - April 2021

Postby G3750 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:51 pm

Wow!! Very nice, Paul!

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:16 pm

Yes, that is a nice looking model. Some look like the front/cab was just stuck on but this one seems to be smooth.
Too late for me to go on a hunt for one.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:55 am

That can be a problem with many of the Lionel originals: the front-end of the motor car is a combination of sheet-metal and diecast, and is quite heavy. It tends to develop a bit of a sag after getting beat around for decades. I've never seen an issue with zinc-pest on these (either vintage or new production), but the Lionel 264/264E and the 265/265E were primarily sheet-metal with a diecast cab; those frequently have issues. The Flyer Zephyrs, which were made of cast aluminum, had a different problem where the car undersides would become severely pitted over time, making nice examples tough to run down.

I never look at these prewar pieces as models (well, maybe the Hudson). I tend to think of them more as toys made to look generally like the real thing, but far from an exact "model". That space in between is the art bit.

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:25 pm

rogruth wrote:Yes, that is a nice looking model. Some look like the front/cab was just stuck on but this one seems to be smooth.

The Flying Yankee did visit Hardplace and Arock on a whirlwind tour a few years ago. :mrgreen: And looked quite nice doing so.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:33 pm

J. S. Bach wrote:
rogruth wrote:Yes, that is a nice looking model. Some look like the front/cab was just stuck on but this one seems to be smooth.

The Flying Yankee did visit Hardplace and Arock on a whirlwind tour a few years ago. :mrgreen: And looked quite nice doing so.

I remember it quite well. It did NOT seem out of place either. It was on a real tour and handled the route very well and it was enjoyed by all.
roger

I support thread drift.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:01 pm

healey36 wrote: This is probably the last set I'll be buying, as I can't think of anything else I've just got to have.

Well, a torched MTH Western Maryland “Russian” Dec would be nice...get Sarge to help me put new guts in it. But that’s it... :wink:

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:24 pm

Almost finished my back drop. What a nightmare! You have to be a contortionist to get it in there to put it up. Probably should have been done first but I can’t think that far ahead on layout building. I had the room about half done and fortunately discovered the backdrop junction was going out of business. He finished out my room before he closed up shop. There are some subtle differences in color from order to order. If I had to do it all over again I would have ordered the whole room at once, but this stuff ain’t cheap!

The lines where the backdrop meets the sloped ceiling are a little rough. I was going to paint that slope blue and blend it at the back drop but I think that is above my pay grade. I like the way the black fascia makes the scenery pop and am considering painting the sloped ceiling and end walls black too. I think I could straighten up my lines. Any thoughts on that?

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:36 pm

Gregg,
That looks very nice to me. I wouldn't worry about small tint differences on the backdrop. Most people will not see much difference.
I would really think hard about using black on any part of the ceiling. I think it would affect the overall lighting adversely.
roger

I support thread drift.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:44 pm

When I look a little longer I think I would try to find a similar blue paint on the angled parts with maybe a few clouds.
roger

I support thread drift.

G3750

Postby G3750 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:48 pm

Greg, I think it looks awesome!!

I did Panhandle 1 that way - backdrop last. That was a real bad move on my part. :roll:

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:51 am

Looks brilliant, Greg. Reminds me a bit of the terrain just west of Cheyenne, Wyoming (UP country).

Most of the scale modelers I’ve known (HO primarily) always had a back-to-front method to their madness when it came to scenery (although I don’t remember many of them using backdrops other than a bit of paint).

The question I always had was when you got around to building your elevations in front of the b/d, how does one keep from slopping hydrocal all over it. Track, you can mask that pretty easily, but the b/d seems pretty vulnerable. If it has a vinyl coating on it like some grades of wallpaper, seems then you could wipe it down.

Anyway, looks great behind those epic long runs of track work.

v8vega

Postby v8vega » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:27 am

Looks like southern Calif. desert.

bluelinec4

Postby bluelinec4 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:12 am

Hey Greg You know theres a guy on anther forum that has more clamps than you :D

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:09 am

Now this is pretty neat: