Any experience with the Woodland Scenics Just Plug system?

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
G3750

Any experience with the Woodland Scenics Just Plug system?

Postby G3750 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:59 pm

All:

Has anyone played with this system of lighting? Feedback (good, bad, ugly)?

Thanks,

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

G3750

Re: Any experience with the Woodland Scenics Just Plug system?

Postby G3750 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:21 pm

Let me answer my own question.

I am not impressed. The Just Plug system is (relatively) easy, cheaply made, and expensive. The words "flimsy" and "cheesy" come to mind. I will use it for this particular section of HO houses and a street lamp (chiefly because of the lamp), but it will not see any other use on the Panhandle. I can roll my own and get a much better, inexpensive, and robust outcome.

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:49 pm

I don’t know much about it but there are so many good options with LED’s that it just doesn’t make sense to be locked into a plug and play type system. I have a lighting bus powered by the variable voltage side of my ZW.

There are many styles of street and yard lights, rolled stick on LED’s, grain of wheat style LED’s, gooseneck style, all come with leads that I simply wire to the bus. For an incandescent look on the whiter LED’s I simply apply a dab of yellow nail polish to the LED. Works great.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:16 am

It is more of a system for those that are electron transport challenged and either cannot or do not wish to be bothered with active thought on the matter. For those, it's fine. For those that are DIY competent, you might continue in that same vein.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

G3750

Postby G3750 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:43 am

Greg, Rufus - I've pretty much come to the same conclusion. I'll use it here for the HO street light and houses simply because it's convenient, but it will not be practical or economic for the rest of the layout. I'm really not happy about its cheap manufacture - junk waiting to fail.

George

—Katy Faust

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”