Scale Trains buys MTH HO/S tooling

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
gregj410

Re: Scale Trains buys MTH HO/S tooling

Postby gregj410 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:27 pm

MartyE wrote:
Neil wrote:Command control is fun. When it works, which is almost all the time with TMCC/Legacy/LionChief and sometimes with DCS :).

Definitely depends on the complexity of the layout. I have DCS but I only have a few simple loops. It works fine.

I have to agree with Marty. I think the more turnouts, sidings, etc the more trouble you may have with signal strength. I imagine the average home layouts aren’t sizable enough that DCS bugs can’t be worked out.

Neil

Postby Neil » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:41 am

The new repair/parts business is off to a great start. One of the two techs has announced he's done working for Mike Wolf after they get through the existing repairs, prior to the two month hiatus. What is the attraction of doing warranty repairs for shops that do not have a stream of new product to support their activities? Sounds like smoke and mirrors potentially.
Neil

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:12 am

Neil wrote:The new repair/parts business......

Hard to imagine that being a viable business going forward w/o a reliable source of parts.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

MartyE

Postby MartyE » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:49 am

I suspect there is more going on behind the scenes than anyone knows about. I personally can't fathom a "parts only" business when there are no new products being produce but if the last few months have shown, it ain't over until it's over. MTH is churning out more product than ever. If this continues either as a MTH entity or another buyer the parts folks should be gainfully employed.

The poster Neil referenced as the MTH tech made this comment.

"Mike W. plans to keep service at the new location (if any techs will work there) in order to honor warranty claims for the 2020 and 2021 deliverable's."

So when the warranty is up for these items is this then a parts only venture? Unfortunately not enough information from the source to know just a lot of "I heard it from a guy" kind of thing. The one I would believe most is Scott Smith as I heard he does some work for MTH in his professional business.
"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn’t mind who gets the credit."
MartyE.com and KodiakJunction.com Home to Kodiak Junction U.S.A.

Neil

Postby Neil » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:21 am

I think this is all in service of Mike Wolf retiring without leaving an incredibly awful taste in people's mouths. If he can wind down the business while still providing warranty service for another year or so, he may believe he can make that more graceful exit, despite the combined dispersal and collapse of the remains of his business. Call me a skeptic, but the plan does not sound functional or well thought out. Lots of ad hoc "let's try this" stuff going on. Plus a boatload of wishful thinking that's being exploited by the company. You have to believe in the tooth fairy to be buying up PS3 locos at this moment in time, or hitching your future to DCS. Just one Lionel fan's opinion ;).
Neil

G3750

Postby G3750 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:02 am

gregj410 wrote:
MartyE wrote:
Neil wrote:Command control is fun. When it works, which is almost all the time with TMCC/Legacy/LionChief and sometimes with DCS :).

Definitely depends on the complexity of the layout. I have DCS but I only have a few simple loops. It works fine.

I have to agree with Marty. I think the more turnouts, sidings, etc the more trouble you may have with signal strength. I imagine the average home layouts aren’t sizable enough that DCS bugs can’t be worked out.

For the most part, I also agree with Marty. However, I think each layout presents its own set of unique signal reception / transmission problems based on track arrangement. That's why the approach to solving these problems consists of gathering a large number of potential "fixes" (a book of spells) and trying them one-by-one (trial and error) until something works. It could be any number of things affecting the DCS signal, including track geometry. Contrast that with TMCC where the vast majority of signal issues are ground-plane related. You (typically) don't need an oscilloscope or sophisticated test equipment to figure that out.

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

MartyE

Postby MartyE » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:04 am

Well as a primarily Lionel guy who does own some MTH locos, DCS, and rolling stock, I have taken a wait and see approach to the whole situation. Pat's Trains has a few MTH custom runs that they just introduced that I might have bit on in the past but will wait until more of this comes into focus.
"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn’t mind who gets the credit."
MartyE.com and KodiakJunction.com Home to Kodiak Junction U.S.A.

chuck

Postby chuck » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:37 am

I really, really, really wish that MTH had gone back to the original plan of DCRU with horn/whistle and a "sound system" optional. I would have purchased more than a few subway sets if the locomotives had been offered in this fashion.

I KNOW you can run a PS-2 or PS-3 engine in conventional mode BUT the potential operating problems are still there AND I am paying for electronics that I don't want or need. A simple DCRU is about as bullet proof as it gets and it is a snap to replace.

As for buying them and stripping them down and then trying to resell the guts, that becomes a whole "hobby" in itself. One I don't care to participate in.
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:42 pm

One of the big selling points that I have always heard about MTH locos was how great their smoke was/is.
I guess if you like smoke that is a good selling point but there must be some like me that do NOT like smoke.
It doesn't smell like smoke to me and it leaves residue on everything. I keep all smoke turned off if possible
and if it can't be turned off it just burns out. Now and then I will turn on smoke with other stuff to impress
visitors, especially young ones who might get some interest in ELECTRIC TRAINS.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

chuck

Postby chuck » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:25 pm

It doesn't smell like smoke to me and it leaves residue on everything.

I remember a train show where a display layout had some engines running on loops of track. One of the participants was running a PS-2 steam engine with max smoke. While it was impressive, it doesn't really look like "smoke", more like steam from a kettle. The other thing I took away from this was a family was approaching the layout and the toddler in the stroller started coughing his head off. Mom glared at dad and did a quick 360 to get away from the "smoke". Another display layout was a large modular affair with one side featuring O scale trains on a lower level and HO on the upper level. This was actually split lengthwise and depending on the side of the layout you were standing you could only see O or HO, not both. The O side had two loops and a bunch of sidings. Someone was operating a PS-2 steamer with Max smoke. There was so much oil on the track that they were starting to throw traction tires! Someone had to grab a towel and wipe down the rails. The cab roofs were shiny with smoke fluid!
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

Norton

Postby Norton » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:29 pm

North Lima is a parts only business. The owner does this part time. No reason MTH parts would have to be full time after the warranties expire. As for the info on the repair techs it was posted by one of the two remaining MTH techs, not exactly a guy whispering in a phone booth. Between what tech Jon said, Scott posted and what I know by way a person who actually set foot in the new parts warehouse and spoke with the parts guy Ryan its all good info.
As someone who rarely buys new trains, this all has little impact on me. Just reporting what I know.

Pete

Neil

Postby Neil » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:05 pm

I certainly wouldn't suggest anyone sell their MTH stuff because of MTH closing and the totally disorganized way this closing is occurring. But I wouldn't suggest anyone buy any new DCS equipment or PS3 locos from here on in either. Parts and service will likely be available for some time, although probably less reliably as time goes on. The view that the MTH locomotive lines and DCS hardware will continue to be predictably available as previously, and software development will continue strikes me as terribly unrealistic and likely to lead to disappointment sooner than later. If you are not buying new stuff, these points are likely moot, although things will be less predictable than when MTH existed as a full service train company.

But the happy, entirely optimistic talk some are engaging in seems to clash with the facts on the ground and the most likely long term outcomes. We shall see, but things look grim for the MTH only crowd. Circling the drain seems the metaphor rather than circling the wagons. :)
Neil

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:31 pm

Circling the drain. I like that. :) :) :)
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:58 pm

rogruth wrote:Circling the drain. I like that. :) :) :)

Drain Circling System...

G3750

Postby G3750 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:21 pm

MartyE wrote:Well as a primarily Lionel guy who does own some MTH locos, DCS, and rolling stock, I have taken a wait and see approach to the whole situation. Pat's Trains has a few MTH custom runs that they just introduced that I might have bit on in the past but will wait until more of this comes into focus.

Yes, Pat's does have some potentially interesting special runs. They have featured a number of Weirton Steel cars in the past. That's great, but they are not particularly representative of the prototype. Nobody has a WHITE bobber caboose lettered for the "Weirton Steel Blast Furnace". :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Ever been near a blast furnace? Or in a steel mill? Clean isn't a word you use in the same sentence. :wink:

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”