Scale Trains buys MTH HO/S tooling

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Scale Trains buys MTH HO/S tooling

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:04 am

G3750 wrote:Nobody has a WHITE bobber caboose lettered for the "Weirton Steel Blast Furnace".

That was the elusive and rarely seen in the wild albino variant.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

G3750

Postby G3750 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:08 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
G3750 wrote:Nobody has a WHITE bobber caboose lettered for the "Weirton Steel Blast Furnace".

That was the elusive and rarely seen in the wild albino variant.

Yes. :roll: That bobber was clearly someone's crack-fueled delusion. :lol:

I worked in that mill for 3 summers. I never saw so much particulate filth in my life.

In fact, the area just south of Weirton, between it and Follansbee, WV was the site of a Koppers coke plant (served the Steubenville mills across the river, I believe). At one point in the 1970's, that specific area (with the clouds of gas billowing across WV Route 2) was named the most polluted spot (in terms of particulates) in the world. :shock: :shock: :shock:

In other news, the "Atlas acquires MTH tooling" thread continues its nasty back-biting towards all who point out the emperor has no clothes. I'm staying out of it; when you argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. :lol:

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

G3750

Postby G3750 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:51 pm

Predictably, the thread on OGR got locked. 8)
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:04 pm

In the mid 20th century you could drive north along the Ohio River and just above St. Marys you could see a curtain of smog that went from the Ohio to the West Virginia hills that lasted clear to Pittsburgh. Not only could you see it you could smell it.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

G3750

Postby G3750 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:07 pm

rogruth wrote:In the mid 20th century you could drive north along the Ohio River and just above St. Marys you could see a curtain of smog that went from the Ohio to the West Virginia hills that lasted clear to Pittsburgh. Not only could you see it you could smell it.

Yep. It was bad looking and the smell was probably awful.

But it was also the smell of prosperity. Just a little bittersweet when you look at my little town today. :cry:

George

—Katy Faust

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:27 pm

G3750 wrote:
rogruth wrote:In the mid 20th century you could drive north along the Ohio River and just above St. Marys you could see a curtain of smog that went from the Ohio to the West Virginia hills that lasted clear to Pittsburgh. Not only could you see it you could smell it.

Yep. It was bad looking and the smell was probably awful.

But it was also the smell of prosperity. Just a little bittersweet when you look at my little town today. :cry:

George

Very true. My little town, @ 30 miles south, in those days had a population of @ 15000+, today @ 4000. :(
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

bluelinec4

Postby bluelinec4 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:42 am

G3750 wrote:
gregj410 wrote:
MartyE wrote:
Definitely depends on the complexity of the layout. I have DCS but I only have a few simple loops. It works fine.

I have to agree with Marty. I think the more turnouts, sidings, etc the more trouble you may have with signal strength. I imagine the average home layouts aren’t sizable enough that DCS bugs can’t be worked out.

For the most part, I also agree with Marty. However, I think each layout presents its own set of unique signal reception / transmission problems based on track arrangement. That's why the approach to solving these problems consists of gathering a large number of potential "fixes" (a book of spells) and trying them one-by-one (trial and error) until something works. It could be any number of things affecting the DCS signal, including track geometry. Contrast that with TMCC where the vast majority of signal issues are ground-plane related. You (typically) don't need an oscilloscope or sophisticated test equipment to figure that out.

George

An oscilloscope and a home grown signal strength car along with Dales amplifier is the only thing that got TMCC working at the club That along with removing the entire subway system trackage from the TMCC plane. The signal strength car identified the exact areas that those unsightly ground plane wires were needed. drives me crazy when I watch videos and see those wires dangling everywhere

We have over 300 switches and DCS works fine Our track geometry is 185 feet long x 35 feet wide All track including the subway has DCS. There are 9 TIU's in the mix The main problem now with DCS is when you have a mix of users with handheld remotes and Wifi devices. The handheld remotes take precedence and slow the response time down significantly on the Wifi devices The latency causes it to be useless. Rules had to be in place to have either all handhelds or all wifi devices. When you have up to 15 users this is a pain in the butt

Bluetooth is a pretty cool feature Problem with it is that it is basically line of sight with a 50 foot reliability range Not usefull in a club environment

Lionchief II is great It also has a range issue but we use this for switching sidings and yards

G3750

Postby G3750 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:59 am

rogruth wrote:Mr. Wolf could be ROTFLHAO at all of us. :wink: :wink:

I have been thinking about the long, torturous, slow-motion train wreck that we have been witnessing. These are my guesses:

• We've yet to see the end game, whatever it really is.
  • A number of hobby shops and dealers (Mr. Muffin, Trainworld, Public Delivery Track, Mario's at least) have made some sort of arrangement with MTH to propose or solicit special runs. It might even be some sort of competition among them to see who gets the majority of MTH's attention.
  • As long as the MTH fan boys can be milked ("It's the last MTH run of the Podunk & Nowhere's used toilet roll express" :roll: ), the game will continue. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that a large amount of existing undecorated rolling stock are (as we speak) getting the livery du jour treatment.
  • The collateral damage from this melodrama has been significant but not yet fully realized. Stores that were all-in with MTH, like Mercer Junction, have closed. But others that will become wholly dependent now upon Lionel will also feel the strain. There's more fallout to come, I fear.

That's my $0.02 right now.

George
Last edited by G3750 on Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

—Katy Faust

Neil

Postby Neil » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:38 pm

My thought is Mike Wolf is the only individual with skin in the game who will come out of this in better shape financially than when the bizarre endgame began.
Neil

G3750

Postby G3750 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:45 pm

Neil wrote:My thought is Mike Wolf is the only individual with skin in the game who will come out of this in better shape financially than when the bizarre endgame began.

Oh, you can absolutely bet the farm on that! No doubt whatsoever. And whoever else is harmed?

Well, it will look like that scene out of "Animal House":

"You f***ed up. You trusted us". :lol:

George

—Katy Faust

G3750

Postby G3750 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:20 am

I realize that some of you might think that I don't like Mike Wolf. That's not true. He's a terrific businessman. And from all reports, a nice person to talk with. He does seem a bit stiff, though, as you can probably tell from this photo.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0BGqkRUiEgS98

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So you are wrong, John. :wink:

George

—Katy Faust

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:24 pm

G3750 wrote:I realize that some of you might think that I don't like Mike Wolf. That's not true. He's a terrific businessman. And from all reports, a nice person to talk with. He does seem a bit stiff, though, as you can probably tell from this photo.

George

I never had the impression you didn’t like MW....now Neil on the other hand :lol:

G3750

Postby G3750 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:53 pm

gregj410 wrote:
G3750 wrote:I realize that some of you might think that I don't like Mike Wolf. That's not true. He's a terrific businessman. And from all reports, a nice person to talk with. He does seem a bit stiff, though, as you can probably tell from this photo.

George

I never had the impression you didn’t like MW....now Neil on the other hand :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

—Katy Faust

Neil

Postby Neil » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:58 pm

I heart mikie wolf.❤️
Neil

jlong

Postby jlong » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:22 pm

George

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
John Long

One nation under Josh with ozone an magnetraction for all

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”