You Can Do It! TM's new train repair video.

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
Robert Bubeck

You Can Do It! TM's new train repair video.

Postby Robert Bubeck » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:46 am

With the continuing disappearance of model train repair stations, the timing is ripe for new, clearly presented how-to videos for toy and model train maintenance performed by the hobbyist at home. In this new TM Video, “You Can Do It! Part 1”, the instruction and narration is given by Bob Phillips with a friendly, folksy demeanor.

Motive power topics include the general maintenance of a postwar Lionel motorized unit (a Navy yard switcher), a postwar GG1, and a baby Hudson. In each case, disassembly, lubrication, cleaning, and reassembly are demonstrated in an easily followed manner. The use of Bullfrog Snot™ to replace traction tires on steam engine models with grooved drivers is well demonstrated.

Layout related topics include two useful tips. The first is the simple modification of Lionel FasTrack™ to permit the connection and operation of postwar Lionel crossing flashers and crossing gates. The second is how to install low cost fusing of older Lionel transformers to protect the electronics in modern electric trains. A pleasing bonus is a brief ‘tour’ of Wayne Koebel’s handsome prewar Standard gauge layout. The layout was built at a manageable cost and with a size that fits into many real world train rooms.

This new TM video provides clear instruction of basic important maintenance techniques in a handy format that can be gifted to friends and sold at hobby shops to families that are starting out in the hobby. Recommended.

Bob
Last edited by Robert Bubeck on Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chuck

Re: You Can Do It! TM's new repair video.

Postby chuck » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:00 pm

Thanks for the heads up. Will start looking for it. A good video is worth its weight in gold.

Any chance they will start doing a digital download or possibly an on-demand streaming version, like a subscription service. I understand there is the issue of copy protection and additional workload but I've found my iPad to be a great resource for hobby interest support. I can prop it up on a stand and reference material in real time from the work bench.
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

Robert Bubeck

Re: You Can Do It! TM's new train repair video.

Postby Robert Bubeck » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:34 pm

chuck wrote:Thanks for the heads up. Will start looking for it. A good video is worth its weight in gold.

Any chance they will start doing a digital download or possibly an on-demand streaming version, like a subscription service. I understand there is the issue of copy protection and additional workload but I've found my iPad to be a great resource for hobby interest support. I can prop it up on a stand and reference material in real time from the work bench.

In general, some of the older (~ 5 to 10 years old) video material is available on-line via Amazon Prime Video, iTunes, and Google. Other selected older video segments can be found for free on the RFD Channel in the afternoon. Newly issued videos are reserved for physical media (DVD).

Bob

chuck

Postby chuck » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:44 pm

Thanks. I have found some of the older stuff on Amazon.

I used to be less of a fan of on-line media as I liked being able to watch stuff when I wanted and had full control of playback (pause/rewind, etc). With the changes in the streaming services and the video "multipack" I have begun to appreciate the convenience and usefulness of being able to watch on-demand on multiple devices like the smart phone/tablet. A repair video is much more useful if you can access it in the shop/garage/on the layout as I don't have full media playback service in those places. Cest le vie.
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

Robert Bubeck

Postby Robert Bubeck » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:59 pm

A suggestion: Purchase an external disk drive and plug it into a laptop. One can be plugged into my MS Surface. An iPad is another issue.

Good luck.

Bob

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”