Weekend Photos - December 2020

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
rogruth

Re: Weekend Photos - December 2020

Postby rogruth » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:21 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
rogruth wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
Okay, I do turn things off and almost all of my pliers had insulated handles, :wink: :wink:

Ahhh. You took all the daring and fun out of it. :wink: :wink:

One learns over time that the ratio of daring and fun vs. survival is not a constant and that when the Universe calls your bluff, it's holding all the winning cards.

I won't argue with that.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

robert.

Postby robert. » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:28 pm

I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:37 am

I remember those days with my kids. Christmas sure was a lot more fun.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:21 am

healey36 wrote:Christmas sure was a lot more fun.

Been a lot of years, but yes, it was.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

robert.

Postby robert. » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:59 am

Christmas is a different kind of fun this year. I thought it would be rough. Then i took a deep breath and relaxed. Kids don't really know any difference this year from last. if we adults don't stress them. My plan is to keep it as entertaining as possible. without a Santa visit ( we had a surprise Santa visit from the fire dept.) For a small donation the whole fire dept. Stops by. 4 trucks a dog and Santa. He yaps from a microphone atop a fire truck. well worth the $20.00. No sitting on his lap.
Getting a Christmas tree. That was the icing on the cake. I went with a plan and another family. All our local lots were sold out. So a 20 minute drive to a farm was in order. What a great time. I'll never buy a tree from a lot again. My friend and I took some dollar store angels with us. 4 of them. 2 gold for him and 2 silver for me. We left a gold and a silver angel in the cenert of the farmer's field. These were removed later by my wife. We told the kids our angels' would pick a tree. I walked around with my friends gold angel and he had mine. We both placed the other person's angel on a tree. Then placed our wife's cell phone near by. By using a find my phone app. We were able to locate a tree next to our angel. When the kids saw that the angel had moved and picked a tree. They were really surprised. Without the kids noticing we grabbed the phones from under a tree. Looked around and saw our angel. Hanging atop a tree. Now the fun. Cutting your own tree.
When the farmer caught word of our game he loved it. I think next year he'll be selling cheap dollar store angels. We spent about 2 hours walking around the farm. Made a game of it and a Christmas memory. Plus it's only $40.00 for a tree any size.

robert.

Postby robert. » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:09 am

This is our tree picking angel. Imagine walking around a 500 acre farm and seeing this perched atop a tree.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:15 am

robert. wrote: Getting a Christmas tree......... a 20 minute drive to a farm was in order. [/img]

My parents and I would go to a tree farm and it was the same price to cut or dig the tree. We dug them, and then right after Christmas we'd load the tree into the stations wagon, do the 4 hour hop across PA to what is now my place there, have a 2nd Christmas with the rest of the family there, and then plant the tree.

I think that the last of the planted Christmas trees came down last year.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:00 pm

When I was a kid, we always cut our tree. The Old Man would walk two rows in and say "This one looks good; let's cut this one." Nope, that didn't work, we traipsed him from one end of the farm to the other, always picking and cutting one a half-mile from the car. Of course, he had to carry it/drag it, cursing like a sailor the whole way. What a great Christmas experience, lol.

Haven't cut one for probably fifteen or twenty years now. We have a local lot that cuts trees from their nearby farm, so they are no more than a week from being cut. Paid $75 this year. Still fun...probably should try to cut one next year, see if I've got enough left in the tank to haul it a half-mile back to the car.

robert.

Postby robert. » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:34 pm

the farm we went to had tree carts. If you look at the kids foot. It is sitting onto of a red T. That's the handle to a large cart. Picture a very large cart for a golf bag. Only horizontal to the ground.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:42 pm

I was wondering what that was.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:45 pm

healey36 wrote:............always picking and cutting one a half-mile from the car.

Everyone knows that they put the good ones at least a 1/2 mile from the car.

robert.

Postby robert. » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:30 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
healey36 wrote:............always picking and cutting one a half-mile from the car.

Everyone knows that they put the good ones at least a 1/2 mile from the car.

Truth be told every tree looked great. We could have picked the first one by the entrance. I just needed the 2 hours to run the kid around outside. away from people. make it an event. Something simple and enjoyable. We made some videos of us stalking the tree. cutting it down as it screamed ' don't cut me" My friends wife is a little bit of a downer. she can't have childish fun. Kind of a nose in the air type of "lady" " you mean they wont carry it to the car for you" Will the tree have bugs? She had to buy special green llBean gardening boots for this trip. I took a 2 man crosscut saw for photo ops. She would not let her kid hold. Oh my god Henry will get tetanus from that.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:46 pm

robert. wrote: My friends wife is a little bit of a downer. she can't have childish fun. Kind of a nose in the air type of "lady" " you mean they wont carry it to the car for you" Will the tree have bugs? She had to buy special green llBean gardening boots for this trip. I took a 2 man crosscut saw for photo ops. She would not let her kid hold. Oh my god Henry will get tetanus from that.

I know the type......... :roll: :roll:

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:41 pm

The Yankee Clipper..... Joe DiMaggio & Lionel trains.

Toy Train Vintage Television Commercial Fun w/ Lionel, Joe DiMaggio, American Flyer, Tyco, & GI Joe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MXpdvt1-T4

healey36

Postby healey36 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:41 am

Still amazes me that, after eighty years, Dimaggio's hitting streak still stands. Rose got to within 10 or 12 games, as I recall, but no one else even close. I've always felt Dimaggio's streak is more impressive than the Gehrig/Ripken games-played-consecutively streak. To be honest, I figure "The Splendid Splinter", Ted Williams, was the greatest.

Was over at Lowes this AM picking up some vinyl fasteners so I can repair the black plastic shield on the underside of the SUV's front-end that my wife partially loosened running up onto a snow pile. While digging through the parts drawers, found these Meccano/Erector bits in the hobby section:

Not a huge selection, but enough to replace some missing/corroded parts, possibly add a few.

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”