The Modelers Thread

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: The Modelers Thread

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:17 pm

healey36 wrote:If it's a point-and-shoot, why do they call it a POS? Oh yeah, I just remembered.

Freakin' camera is more complicated than my laptop.

But the toaster...........with the AI......it's way smarter. :wink: :wink:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

chuck

Postby chuck » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:05 pm

Have you looked into photo stacking software to deal with limited depth of field on closeups? Put the camera on a tripod and take multiple shots adjusting the sharpest focal point to walk down/across the model. Then run the images through a focus stack app/software. There are several pretty good ones that are free. Some were originally intended to stitch together panoramas but still have a decent photo stack function.
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:09 pm

chuck wrote: ...snip... The train's run was very early morning and apparently they picked up a few passengers ...snip...

I am trying to figure out how a passenger would board Rufus' cabin car; especially a lady in a hoopskirt! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:48 pm

J. S. Bach wrote:
chuck wrote: ...snip... The train's run was very early morning and apparently they picked up a few passengers ...snip...

I am trying to figure out how a passenger would board Rufus' cabin car; especially a lady in a hoopskirt! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen:

Not sure that would be a realistic expectation; however, there is a step up at each doorway. A wood step at the station would work.

What I'm more curious about is what the prototype was for this model and whether the kit left out end doors.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

sarge

Postby sarge » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:09 pm

Chuck, most mildly capable digitals will give you gobs of depth of focus if you tripod the camera, set the selector knob from auto to aperture forced, and stop the aperture down as small as it will go. It will automatically leave the shutter open for as long as it takes to meet the “asa” (simplistically the brightness of the raw image) requirement you ask for. When I shot stuff for the magazine the shutter might be open for a couple minutes (hence the tripod) to allow enough light through the tiny aperture these things can stop down to.

The result though is a wonderful depth of focus in the image, quite useable for a printed cover image; pretty much a riff on the old “pinhole lens” trick we used to use in technical photography back in the wet-film days. Couple this with the use of a macro with reasonably decent glass and there really is little need for post process manipulation shooting O Scale models, though a set-able fixed lens camera should still stop down with nice result.
No-one ever forgets where they buried the hatchet.

chuck

Postby chuck » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:48 pm

I picked up on this from a youtube tutorial featuring photographs of 1/48 scale aircraft, I believe a P-38 was the featured "subject".

I used to do 35mm photography back in the days and I had trouble with the 50mm even in macro mode with depth of field at close range for model photography (or any other 3d object). Switching to a 20mm would improve the effective depth of field but at the expense of increased image distortion. Model Railroader did a "construction" project on how to build your own tilt/shift lens (assuming you had a milling machine and knew how to use it). Even so, a T/S lens has limitations and you can't always get everything in focus and a reasonable amount of distortion.

This technique seems to be a relatively easy way to use the digital technology to get better images with less work. The software is in the public domain and it seems to be pretty easy to set up and use. Just another tool in the arsenal.
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

robert.

Postby robert. » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:17 am

J. S. Bach wrote:

Simple. they hang her from the mailbag pole. Along comes the train and she is snatched up. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:49 am

robert. wrote:
J. S. Bach wrote:

Simple. they hang her from the mailbag pole. Along comes the train and she is snatched up. :lol: :lol: :lol:

What ever happened to the caboose you were building?

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:58 am

I guess this is the appropriate place to post other models of interest. Cruising eBay this morning and came across this little gem. Outstanding work!

v8vega

Postby v8vega » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:54 am

Is that O size? I know they had a HO kit.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:00 am

v8vega wrote:Is that O size? I know they had a HO kit.

Yes. Listing says O/On30

https://www.ebay.com/itm/O-On3-On30-CRA ... 632-2357-0

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:04 pm

A Raggs to Riches kit - they made nice stuff even w/o customization.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:15 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Image

Florida East Coast caboose as pictured in Railway Age, January 2, 1926:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:06 am

healey36 wrote:Florida East Coast caboose as pictured in Railway Age, January 2, 1926:

Some similarities there, but the FEC car has end platforms and a slightly different window arrangement. Still an interesting caboose!

healey36

Postby healey36 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:05 pm

I'm guessing the FEC caboose would be later vintage, perhaps. Basic configuration very similar.

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”