The Modelers Thread

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
RBH29

Re: The Modelers Thread

Postby RBH29 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:42 am

Wow, Greg. The details are very impressive.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:20 am

Ditto...nice looking double-hung windows.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:29 pm

Moving a bit slow.....but starting to add the channel and other styrene parts now.
Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:00 am

Hey Greg, for "inspiration", here's a shot of a few miners' cabins in Scott's Run, West Virginia, 1935:

I stumbled on this when I was going through photos of WV at LOC, looking for examples of timber clear-cutting practices back in the day. The combination of mining and timbering went a long way toward making a moonscape of WV, from which it still hasn't recovered.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:25 pm

That looks really cool although mine maybe the lone cabin. I love those old photos! Thanks for sharing

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:25 pm

gregj410 wrote:That looks really cool although mine maybe the lone cabin. I love those old photos! Thanks for sharing

That might not be as old as you think. There were still many places like that in West Virginia and eastern Kentucky in the mid 1950s
and later. May still be in some areas.

I realize that may be old to many of you but I first voted in 1955 when I was 21, the legal age to do so.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:35 am

A little progress on the 1st car.
Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:17 am

Looking sharp. When you finish these, do the wood bits get stained or painted? If you stain them, do you use something commercially available, or mix your own? I’ve got a few projects which would seem best if stained, but haven’t tried it for fear of warpage.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:58 am

healey36 wrote:Looking sharp. When you finish these, do the wood bits get stained or painted? If you stain them, do you use something commercially available, or mix your own? I’ve got a few projects which would seem best if stained, but haven’t tried it for fear of warpage.

Generally painted. However, I do usually stain the underbody (Minwax walnut). I have also stained the entire car prior to painting depending on what effect and degree of use I want to capture in the car. Lately I've just been painting; got to get the 2nd one going here in parallel.....and then the next 2 after it.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:46 am

Okay, got the brake end done, so I'm going to pause this car here and play catch up with the 2nd one now.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:51 am

Your tag-line recalls the old Henny Youngman joke:

Question: Why shouldn't you go into the jungle between two and four o'clock in the afternoon?

Answer: Because that's when the elephants jump down from their roosts.

Question: Why are pygmies so short?

Answer: Because they went into the jungle between two and four o'clock in the afternoon.

I started another Toy Trains "cut-out", a fuel oil shed. Didn't print very well, but should be usable.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:57 am

healey36 wrote:I started another Toy Trains "cut-out", a fuel oil shed. Didn't print very well, but should be usable.

Lots of weathering might solve poor printing, :wink: :wink:

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:08 am

The colors are terrible...blue-tinted concrete block? We'll make a few mods along the way to try to make it look a bit better.

I suspect this may have not taken to being digitized very well. I doubt Carstens penned it with these colors.

Weathering in the tinplate world consists of dents and scratches. No worries, colors are immaterial.

Gondola brake-work looks sharp, BTW.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:33 am

healey36 wrote:The colors are terrible...blue-tinted concrete block? We'll make a few mods along the way to try to make it look a bit better.

I suspect this may have not taken to being digitized very well. I doubt Carstens penned it with these colors.

Weathering in the tinplate world consists of dents and scratches. No worries, colors are immaterial.

Just hit it with the old ink & alcohol wash - remember layering since you're using paper....

Thanks!

robert.

Postby robert. » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:58 pm

healey36 wrote:The colors are terrible...blue-tinted concrete block? We'll make a few mods along the way to try to make it look a bit better.

Leave in in the back window of your car. 2-3 days of the sun will turn in grey.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”