The Modelers Thread

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
sarge

Re: The Modelers Thread

Postby sarge » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:43 pm

Ruf:

With the blind ends, yours reminds me of some of the “emergency” cabs built during WWII from old 36’ wood boxcars. Some were really elegant cars.
No-one ever forgets where they buried the hatchet.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:30 pm

sarge wrote:Ruf:

With the blind ends, yours reminds me of some of the “emergency” cabs built during WWII from old 36’ wood boxcars. Some were really elegant cars.

Would make sense; thanks.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:25 am

Last week's build....
Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:11 am

Very nice, good graphics. Scratch built pickle vats as well?

While I don't necessarily consider this a model, here's an update. The Parlor Flats depot moves ahead glacially. I spent yesterday printing, cutting, and applying paper "corners" to cover the exposed underlying matt board construction. The combination of fat fingers and lousy quality "extra strength" glue sticks, compounded by my HP printer deciding to go all weird in matching colors, led to some less-than-satisfying results. Tough tacos, we're moving on to fitting doorsills and a roof.

I've decided to try to craft a semaphore signal and mount it on the elevated part of the platform. I'm thinking I might try to drill a 3/8-inch hole down through the platform and the base, but worry I'll tear the paper deck covering all to hell if I use a drill. Fitting a "collar" of some sort might cover that, should it happen. I'll definitely try to make the signal before attempting to drill/cut any holes.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:06 am

healey36 wrote:Very nice, good graphics. Scratch built pickle vats as well?

Thanks! Quick & fun build. Literally last week on the side from all the other projects. Just moving to clear projects off the bench.....so I can get into other projects! :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :? :? :lol: :lol:

The tops and bottoms and connectors of those parts were from some laser cut kit maker; their wrapper was rubbish, so I went to my usual board by board route.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:08 am

healey36 wrote:I've decided to try to craft a semaphore signal and mount it on the elevated part of the platform. I'm thinking I might try to drill a 3/8-inch hole down through the platform and the base, but worry I'll tear the paper deck covering all to hell if I use a drill.

Maybe a bit of masking tape down before drilling?

Fitting a "collar" of some sort might cover that, should it happen. I'll definitely try to make the signal before attempting to drill/cut any holes.

Collar - maybe a small flange washer?

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:07 pm

Good suggestions. I was thinking of poking around in the special hardware drawers at Lowes. They sell, or used to sell, some nylon washers that might be a good solution. I guess I'll try making a semaphore first; I have seen a few European examples of operating prewar tinplate-style semaphores that don't look too tough to try to replicate. As Norm Abram might say, make the semaphore, then cut the hole.

Was a pickle car something one might see out on the mainline, or was this a vehicle for moving product from the pickling shed to the packing shed, never leaving the plant? I've often wondered about this. They seem to be quite popular with model railroaders.
Last edited by healey36 on Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:17 pm

healey36 wrote:Was a pickle car something someone one might see out on the mainline, or was this a vehicle for moving product from the pickling shed to the packing shed, never leaving the plant? I've often wondered about this. They seem to be quite popular with model railroaders.

These were in use as far as into the early 60's and were out on the main lines - lots of good info available on history and modeling

https://www.amazon.com/Pickle-Vinegar-M ... oks&sr=1-1

Also in the newsletter from the defunct NMRA SIG.

G3750

Postby G3750 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:11 pm

healey36 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Image

Florida East Coast caboose as pictured in Railway Age, January 2, 1926:

This is a drover's caboose, right?

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

G3750

Postby G3750 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:16 pm

healey36 wrote:Was a pickle car something one might see out on the mainline, or was this a vehicle for moving product from the pickling shed to the packing shed, never leaving the plant? I've often wondered about this. They seem to be quite popular with model railroaders.

HJ Heinz built them out here on the north side of Pittsburgh, right in the factory. Some publication (can't dredge up the name but it might come to me) ran a series of articles on them about 10 years ago. For the longest time, I thought these were figments of the manufacturers' (Lionel, K-Line, etc.) imagination. They're not.

That one is very cool! Nice work!

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:08 pm

G3750 wrote:This is a drover's caboose, right?

George

Not really - more of a mail/baggage door caboose

Here's a drover caboose I did about 7 years ago:
Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:17 pm

G3750 wrote:For the longest time, I thought these were figments of the manufacturers' (Lionel, K-Line, etc.) imagination. They're not.

There were kits for the vat cars from Hawk and Walthers long, long ago. I have 2 other full size prototype 4 vat cars that I scratchbuilt 10+ years ago. I also have at least 1 of the coffin style cars - resin casting from Rails Unlimited, but Lobaugh made a kit for that car as well. Someday, I'll go back and look into scratchbuilding some of the variations on the coffin style cars. I also have a finished scratchbuilt vinegar car and I now have a 2nd one to restore. There's a huge variety of prototype cars in the pickle and vinegar area.

That one is very cool! Nice work!

Thanks! This one was just one of my "just for fun" creations.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:00 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Last week's build....

I like that! 8)

healey36

Postby healey36 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:40 am

The drovers' caboose, as a concept, I was unfamiliar with. I often wondered how the transport of livestock was achieved back in the day when much of it moved by rail, especially given the time involved. I've been around enough beef cattle, for one, to understand that their shelf life without fresh water is not infinite. Quite interesting...

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:37 am

healey36 wrote:The drovers' caboose, as a concept, I was unfamiliar with. I often wondered how the transport of livestock was achieved back in the day when much of it moved by rail, especially given the time involved. I've been around enough beef cattle, for one, to understand that their shelf life without fresh water is not infinite. Quite interesting...

Those trains moved pretty quickly and they were watered and fed on the fly.

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”