What's New on the PRR Panhandle 2.0?

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
G3750

Re: What's New on the PRR Panhandle 2.0?

Postby G3750 » Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:11 pm

Updated 7/1/2023:

After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I am pleased (and relieved) to report that the construction of all 4 open hearth furnaces (Nos. 11, 12, 13, and 14) are complete. Some weathering for spots is still needed, but the plan is to do that and have them installed on the mill floor shortly.

Next time I decide on a project like this, somebody talk me out of it! :lol:

And yes, we still have a long way to go.

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:28 pm

It'll be great when it's done (unless you hold to the "it's never done" concept) :lol:

G3750

Postby G3750 » Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:09 pm

healey36 wrote:It'll be great when it's done (unless you hold to the "it's never done" concept) :lol:

No! :shock: It's got to be done, even if I just declare victory. :lol: :lol:

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

G3750

Postby G3750 » Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:47 pm

Updated 7/2/2023:

This is a little late, but things have been flying around here. :lol:

Furnace No. 11 has been permanently attached to the OH model at this point.

• Decided that it makes much more sense to not use the Arduino to run the model. There isn’t ample time to test all the circuits under computer control. And I do not believe in the Big Bang theory of system integration.
  • Decided that I will add a Debug Mode to the existing Mode rotary switch and the Arduino software. It will take up half of one section of the Mode dial and will be appropriately labeled. Debug Mode will cycle through every function on every furnace that uses the Arduino and / or relays. This functionality will be deferred until there is more time available to do this correctly (perhaps Winter 2024).
  • Made a temporary control panel out of wood with an SPST for each furnace (11, 12, 13, 14).
  • Started collecting the red wires for all electrical effects (smoke stack warning lights, overhead lights, furnace interior lights) that will be permanently ON when power is applied via the Master ON/OFF switch. These will be ganged temporarily with tape until all the furnaces are installed.
  • Labeled and collected all red wires for Furnace 11 effects (fans, smoke unit, transfer ladle surface LEDs, transfer ladle fibers (metal pouring)) and connected them to the outer pole of a SPST flip switch.
  • Electrically tested Furnace No. 11 - it works!
  • Began collecting the wires for Furnace No. 12.

George

—Katy Faust

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:14 am

This must be tedious as the devil, but a great sigh of relief when stuff lights up/operates as intended. Hopefully the change-up in software doesn't reveal any hardware bugaboos that require redress. All-in-all, though, sounds like good progress.

Winter 2024 can't come soon enough. July 4th and I'm sick of summer heat and humidity already...I've turned into an old wuss.

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:34 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

G3750

Postby G3750 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:15 pm

healey36 wrote:This must be tedious as the devil, but a great sigh of relief when stuff lights up/operates as intended. Hopefully the change-up in software doesn't reveal any hardware bugaboos that require redress. All-in-all, though, sounds like good progress.

Winter 2024 can't come soon enough. July 4th and I'm sick of summer heat and humidity already...I've turned into an old wuss.

Yes, I'm happy to report that electronics - LEDs and smoke units - have performed as expected SO FAR. The software might actually work as I intended, but if it does, it will be the first big project to do so right out of the gate. All my years of experience say that isn't going to happen. And I didn't want the mill's functionality dependent upon some obscure software bug. Been there, done that - and the t-shirt never fits. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I expect the software to get straightened out in the course of testing and that Debug Mode will really help with that. But I don't need to add the software development issue to the pressure already on me at this moment. We will be hard pressed to make the show.

George

—Katy Faust

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:41 am

George. It looks like you are one of the only posters on the first page of the O Gauge Forum that's not a Platinum member.

Apparently you haven't kicked in the $100 dollars to keep the ELITE forum viable. :wink:

G3750

Postby G3750 » Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:50 am

HONDO74 wrote:George. It looks like you are one of the only posters on the first page of the O Gauge Forum that's not a Platinum member.

Apparently you haven't kicked in the $100 dollars to keep the ELITE forum viable. :wink:

Thank you, Captain Obvious. :lol:

—Katy Faust

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:10 pm

G3750 wrote:
HONDO74 wrote:George. It looks like you are one of the only posters on the first page of the O Gauge Forum that's not a Platinum member.

Thank you, Captain Obvious. :lol:

You know Robert, the nice thing to do would be to sponsor him :lol:

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:43 pm

I think it would have been better If I had not posted anything. I don't want to ruin Georges thread...

My apologies to George.

G3750

Postby G3750 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:44 pm

HONDO74 wrote:I think it would have been better If I had not posted anything. I don't want to ruin Georges thread...

My apologies to George.

Thanks guys! I needed the laugh. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

George

—Katy Faust

G3750

Postby G3750 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:46 pm

Updated 07/09/2023:

• All walkways on the pouring sides of the furnaces are now complete. These were given handrails (painted yellow) and weathered heavily.
  • All ladders and their safety cages between the furnaces have been installed. These allow 1:48 steelworkers access between the walkways and the pouring floor.
  • All furnace piping for the water jacketed doors (on the charging side of the furnace) is now complete.
  • All 4 furnaces have been permanently fastened to the model floor.
  • All 5 mid-line columns have been installed.
  • All pouring floor ladles (except for No. 14) have been installed.
And no, we're not done yet. :( :oops:

George

—Katy Faust

G3750

Postby G3750 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:36 am

Updated 8/25/2023:

• Work on the Open Hearth continues with the installation of the short, low (permanent) walls on the pouring side of the building. These disguise the back of the inspection platform. The installation of removable walls is even more important than I thought. I have the teeming crane on the workbench for repairs (it fell and broke apart). I was about to permanently install an end wall when I realized I had to account for getting the crane in and out of the building. :shock: During transport or even moving it on / off the layout, the crane must be removed. Gluing in the wall would have been bad, real bad. :oops: Fortunately, we caught that situation.
  • I have installed various stiffener H-columns horizontally across the ends of the building to increase its strength and provide points for attaching walls. The walls will have magnets and attach to metal strips on the framework.
  • About 8 months ago, I went through a revision of the track plan to reduce the mainline curves in the Weirton Junction area to O64 from O72. This was done because my 3rd Rail Decapods will operate on these diameter curves and because it buys me another foot of aisle space at the front of the layout. That also prompted a change (simplification) of the tracks in the Weirton Steel Yard. Last week, I made those changes. One switch was removed and another was re-positioned a bit farther west.

George

—Katy Faust

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:16 am

Saw these pictures on OGR. What a fabulous workshop. :D
https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/sel ... 6933225072

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”