What's New on the PRR Panhandle 2.0?

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: What's New on the PRR Panhandle 2.0?

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:30 pm

G3750 wrote:And Rufus, do you prefer an electric or gas-powered cattle prod? Which do you find most advantageous?

Have not noticed any difference, but battery powered appliances are preferred for convenience. If interested, I suggest you inquire of your local B/D and S/M parlor.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

G3750

Postby G3750 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:24 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
G3750 wrote:And Rufus, do you prefer an electric or gas-powered cattle prod? Which do you find most advantageous?

Have not noticed any difference, but battery powered appliances are preferred for convenience. If interested, I suggest you inquire of your local B/D and S/M parlor.

I knew I could count on you for advice in this domain. :wink: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:52 pm

Hmmm...crowd-control as a topic for layout construction; who'd a thunk it.

Is the train room carpeted? Why did I think it was carpeted? In that recent picture, it looks like it's a tiled or vinyl floor. No matter, was just wondering. Mine sits atop an old asphalt-tiled floor. Makes for easier clean-up, but not as cozy/comfy. I find myself crawling around on it frequently (my wife tells me that if I'd invest in a better grade of Scotch, I wouldn't have that problem :lol: ).

G3750

Postby G3750 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:18 pm

healey36 wrote:Hmmm...crowd-control as a topic for layout construction; who'd a thunk it.

When the layout is farther along (more bench work in the room) or finished, the plan is to use the workshop as a gathering spot / overflow / crew lounge. But right now that is fully occupied with equipment, tables, and bins full of stuff.

healey36 wrote:Is the train room carpeted? Why did I think it was carpeted? In that recent picture, it looks like it's a tiled or vinyl floor. No matter, was just wondering. Mine sits atop an old asphalt-tiled floor. Makes for easier clean-up, but not as cozy/comfy. I find myself crawling around on it frequently (my wife tells me that if I'd invest in a better grade of Scotch, I wouldn't have that problem :lol: ).

No, it isn't carpeted. The builder wanted to install carpet, but the thought of trying to get sawdust, glue, and debris out of carpet made me put my foot down against it. Then they wanted to just do a concrete floor. Eventually, I got them to put in vinyl floor tiles. However, they did insist on carpeting the stairs. Otherwise they said they would have to enclose them. I don't understand that logic at all.

And yeah, you probably do need a better grade of Scotch. :lol:

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:32 pm

G3750 wrote:However, they did insist on carpeting the stairs. Otherwise they said they would have to enclose them. I don't understand that logic at all.

Yeah, that's weird, but there's any number of modern-era building code points I don't understand. One might think it would be easier to fall down carpeted stairs, but then falling down non-carpeted stairs might be rougher (especially after imbibing cheap Scotch).

I look forward to the buildout of the town/station section, its benchwork and all its tracklaying and scenic bits. Should be fun.

G3750

Postby G3750 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:20 pm

healey36 wrote:
G3750 wrote:However, they did insist on carpeting the stairs. Otherwise they said they would have to enclose them. I don't understand that logic at all.

Yeah, that's weird, but there's any number of modern-era building code points I don't understand. One might think it would be easier to fall down carpeted stairs, but then falling down non-carpeted stairs might be rougher (especially after imbibing cheap Scotch).

I look forward to the buildout of the town/station section, its benchwork and all its tracklaying and scenic bits. Should be fun.

Yeah. Bring your Scotch and help. I'm sure it will all go smoothly. :roll: :lol: :lol:

George

—Katy Faust

G3750

Postby G3750 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:42 pm

Updated 2/18/2023:

Haven't updated the build thread in a while, so:
  • Waiting on 3D printed spools to finish Furnace No. 11. The rest of it is done. I recently added the hoses to all the water-jacketed doors as well as the ladder support structures to the front.
  • Furnace No. 12 is also progressing - the roof is the last piece under construction.
  • Painted the stationary teeming ladle as well one of the slag ladles. The stationary stands for each of the Furnace No. 11 ladles are finished and weathered.

George

—Katy Faust

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:36 am

Man, you're going to need an army of figures for the mill when you get "done", not to mention other sites around the layout. Does anyone make suitable industrial types?

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:26 am

healey36 wrote:Man, you're going to need an army of figures for the mill when you get "done", not to mention other sites around the layout. Does anyone make suitable industrial types?

My lousy memory, but I've seen some astoundingly realistic figures just of late. They appear to made be of rubber or something similar. I know there is an outfit (in the UK I think), that scans people somehow and pops out perfect little miniatures. Someone with your painting talents could make them look fantastic. I am guessing a lot of the older stuff will soon be consigned to trash bins.

G3750

Postby G3750 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:21 pm

healey36 wrote:Man, you're going to need an army of figures for the mill when you get "done", not to mention other sites around the layout. Does anyone make suitable industrial types?

Well, that is an interesting question. Industrial figures of the 1950s were dressed in very non-standard types of clothing. Hardhats primarily, but not always. So I'm looking at general work figures.

Always open to new ideas about them.

About 15 years ago, there was a company called Trainformations out of Pittsburgh that specialized in making figures for specific things (industries). I tried contacting them but they either weren't interested or didn't respond. Can't recall which. Anyway, I think they no longer exist.

George

—Katy Faust

Mitch

Postby Mitch » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:52 pm

I remember about Trainsformations. It was a one woman company that made figures to likenesses of real life folks, and if I recall, she was from somewhere near me; Freeport, Sarver, Kittanning, or maybe Natrona. Don't recall her name and I don't have any other info to go on, but I think she folded up due to low or no profitability. Can't help ya, George.
Somehow, the name Marci if floating around in my head.
If you agree with the Progressives, it's freedom of speech. If you disagree, it's hate speech. There are no alternatives.

G3750

Postby G3750 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:46 pm

Mitch wrote:I remember about Trainsformations. It was a one woman company that made figures to likenesses of real life folks, and if I recall, she was from somewhere near me; Freeport, Sarver, Kittanning, or maybe Natrona. Don't recall her name and I don't have any other info to go on, but I think she folded up due to low or no profitability. Can't help ya, George.
Somehow, the name Marci if floating around in my head.

Mitch, I think you are right. She had a great idea, but getting customers (especially train folks) to pull the trigger would be a problem. Acquiring the population you need is more of an afterthought for most people. And a lot of people don't get to that stage in their layout construction.

George

—Katy Faust

G3750

Postby G3750 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:53 pm

Updated 2/24/2023:

Got the 3D printed teeming ladles and bailers (hooks) from my friend. They are gorgeous! Things in progress:

• Stands for the slag ladles (each teeming ladle has a slag ladle next to it for run-off) are under construction. One down, 3 to go.
  • I have a few extra bailers, so I am going to build a stand for them. Typically these are held in a position that allows an overhead crane to pick them up easily. The stand, along with 2 extra teeming ladles will be position in the south end of the pouring floor extension. That will look like a make-shift repair area.
  • I am thinking about the runner, or portable spout, that goes in front of an oven's charging doors. No firm plans yet on how I will make it.

George

—Katy Faust

G3750

Postby G3750 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:21 pm

Updated 03/03/2023:

Progress continues to rear its ugly head. :lol:

• All slag ladle stands are done and painted.
  • The runner is built. It's a kludge, but no doubt the mills made their own and they were kludges, too. :wink:
  • The teeming ladle for Furnace No. 12, which will be seen in the act of receiving a pour of hot steel, has been painted and equipped with a smoke unit. It also got an orange surface illuminated with LEDs. It looked pretty good in testing.
  • All teeming ladles have been painted. Still need to paint and then install the stopper assemblies. The bailers also need painting.

George

—Katy Faust

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:01 am

Saw some pics over on the "other" site...the prints and paint job look great.

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”