The Modelers Thread

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: The Modelers Thread

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed May 05, 2021 8:15 am

Rest of the underbody installed.....in both cars.
Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed May 05, 2021 8:31 am

The underbody wires/turnbuckles are there to strengthen the frame? Keep the car ends in place?

Very nice work. I think I might be a bit too ham-fisted to attempt something like that.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed May 05, 2021 9:03 am

healey36 wrote:The underbody wires/turnbuckles are there to strengthen the frame? Keep the car ends in place?

Truss rods were for strengthening and keeping the cars from sagging & square; could adjust tension with turnbuckles the truss rods were anchored through the car ends.

Very nice work. I think I might be a bit too ham-fisted to attempt something like that.

Thanks! It's all a bit fiddly but beats the horror of a naked underbody, :wink: :wink:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sat May 08, 2021 8:36 pm

Closing in on it. Still some details left. Contemplating a light over the side door. I love night time lighting

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sat May 08, 2021 9:12 pm

Very nice detail, Greg.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun May 09, 2021 7:33 am

One Gon done......
Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Sun May 09, 2021 9:27 pm

Very nice gon; what did you use for the load? Kind of looks like cat litter or sweeping compound such as Speedi-Dri.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon May 10, 2021 7:20 am

J. S. Bach wrote:Very nice gon; what did you use for the load? Kind of looks like cat litter or sweeping compound such as Speedi-Dri.

The leftovers of the ballast mix that's on my layout - Woodland Scenics.....

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Mon May 10, 2021 1:31 pm

I have never bought any commercial ballast products so I did not recognize it.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon May 10, 2021 2:22 pm

J. S. Bach wrote:I have never bought any commercial ballast products so I did not recognize it.

Like I stated leftovers.......from a long time ago when the track went down......and unlike over on OGR where there's a ballast thread every other week.

Bit of blue foam, a bit of sheet lead, some painter's tape, leftover ballast, and some Woodland Scenics matte medium, and there's a load for a gondoal that way too light otherwise.

I had 2 of my real coal load gondolas at Strasburg for a few hours before they went home with someone else.

Next 2 I think I'll keep; these 2 maybe not.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon May 10, 2021 2:50 pm

They look good to me. I've bought lots of "ballast" over the years, but have never used any of it on the layout. I've used most of it for basing model figures for wargames.

Do you leave road-name assignment/serialization for the buyer?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon May 10, 2021 3:27 pm

healey36 wrote:They look good to me. I've bought lots of "ballast" over the years, but have never used any of it on the layout. I've used most of it for basing model figures for wargames.

I've used a fair amount of the leftover ballast for scenery and in loads to make it go away - since it was a mix of 3-4 types that I put in a container I'm sort of stuck with it, although maybe if I take it all to Strasburg in Aug it will go home with someone else............

Do you leave road-name assignment/serialization for the buyer?

Not for these cars; some stuff I leave painted and unlettered so as to let the new owner DIY job and put whatever they want on it.

Next 2 will be specific for lettering. In fact, the lettering will be a determining factor in their build.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed May 12, 2021 7:30 am

And, now this one is done, too.
Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun May 30, 2021 12:30 pm

Another completed gondola car....
Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun May 30, 2021 1:12 pm

Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis, the “Big Four”, learn something every day. Looks very sharp.

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”