Hi Jim,
R.K. Maroon wrote:Nice looking, Michael. A couple of questions: I am guessing that you were able to procure the same gearboxes as the originals, as opposed to replacing them all.
Yes, it was as easy as emailing Scott and paying for two which also came as complete gearboxes minus the worm shaft. I probably could have done it sooner.
R.K. Maroon wrote:I would not have guessed that they were easy to find. Did the new gearboxes come with drivers, or did you have to mount the worm gears from the gearbox onto the original unpowered drivers?
The gearboxes sent to me came with 3-rail drivers. The worm gears were not installed on the worm shaft. I replaced the 3-rail drivers and installed the worm on the new worm shaft.
R.K. Maroon wrote:Also, I would guess that you either had to replace the original worm shaft with a longer one that reached all three gearboxes, or it's a two-shaft setup with some kind of universal joint to the third gearbox (which is commonly done to provide better equalization and to prevent possible binding).
The original worm shaft was replaced with a new longer worm shaft. It is a single shaft on trio of drivers, it does not bind but there is quite a high shaft load. Equalization would be nice but the journal springs are so heavy it's probably minimal. I didn't put universals because the space is limited especially where the truck mounts to the body. I drew and printed a pair of bolsters which allowed the shaft to travel through. The original design had a bolster that interferes with a 3rd powered drive axle.

R.K. Maroon wrote:Finally, how does the motor output get transmitted to the worm shafts? Is there a gear tower, a cog belt, or other? It's not obvious to me from the photo.
It's a typical cog belt.
R.K. Maroon wrote:On a different tangent, I have to admit that I was not aware that Sunset did a GG1. There have been a lot of versions. I know the old ones: Alexander did two: a pre-war cast bronze and a post-war cast aluminum. Baldwin also did a cast bronze version, which I think is a decent model and, for my money, the best of the Baldwins. I believe Bill Wolfer and House of Duddy both had brass versions (which I want to say are related). I want to say these were imported from Japan, but I could be wrong about that. I recall the Weaver made a big splash and sold well (in the late 80s or early 90s?). Who else? I want to say Kohs did one. And I know Lionel did one some time back. I have seen one and I recall that it was a pretty good model (and I want to say it was die cast). Any others? Max Gray, USH, Westside, OMI, PSC, ???
MTH had GG1's scale and not scale. Bob Lavezzi has a Congressional Silver MTH version converted by the late Joe Foehrkolb. Yes Kohs did a few versions, and Max Gray unpainted.