Page 1 of 1
Changing times at OSR
Posted: Sun May 26, 2024 6:17 pm
by webenda
The increasing cost of everything has an impact on digital magazines.
O Scale Resource magazine (OSR) is requesting financial help from its readers.
"Know the old joke 'How do you make a million dollars in the model railroad business? Start with two million.' Well, same here."
...
"Hey, even a buck an issue every few issues will help."
--Dan Dowdy
You can read the whole message on page 7 of the May/June 2024 issue of OSR.

Re: Changing times at OSR
Posted: Mon May 27, 2024 9:14 am
by up148
I think this is for a very good and reasonable request and I really enjoy that magazine. As I've stated elsewhere, IMHO it is the best O scale publication we have and extremely similar to the old OSN and OST. I will be donating for sure.
Re: Changing times at OSR
Posted: Mon May 27, 2024 2:21 pm
by webenda
When I donated I received an email from Amy thanking me and assuring that my contribution will go directly to the operating costs involved to continue to bring the model railroading community the quality information that is expected from us.
Re: Changing times at OSR
Posted: Thu May 30, 2024 8:02 pm
by hibar
Also at OGR on line Forum, a while back I went to log in only to find my account had been cancelled, I have been a member for 10+ years and no notice was given. Trying to log on required a print or digital subscription to their magazine 33+ a year as a long time O scaler their magazine held no interest for me. I was unable to ever contact the publisher or editor and you cannot post or buy and sell, another member on another forum told me he had spoken to them and that was the new deal. If you read the posts less than half the posters have a Sustaining or a Digital note next to their name, so some selection was made on who stays and who goes without a subscription. Very underhanded way of dealing with your subscribers, at least post the new deal for your members. JMO
Re: Changing times at OSR
Posted: Thu May 30, 2024 8:29 pm
by De Bruin
I financially support a couple of privately hosted railfan websites that I use because I really appreciate having them and want them to last.
I think it's the right thing to do.
Re: Changing times at OSR
Posted: Thu May 30, 2024 8:30 pm
by bob turner
They might not like some of us. They really, really do not like me.
I agree - the “Resource” on line mag is well done. All of this is a labor of love.
Re: Changing times at OSR
Posted: Fri May 31, 2024 8:54 am
by up148
Yeah, OSR is a 1st Class act and I too appreciate what Amy and Dan are doing. Amy emailed me to thank me for my donation which just shows the character of the people running it. The format and content is way closer to the old OSN and OST before Joe passed and I really like that.
Re: Changing times at OSR
Posted: Fri May 31, 2024 2:36 pm
by E7
bob turner wrote:They might not like some of us. They really, really do not like me.
But Bob, You're so cute and cuddly!

Re: Changing times at OSR
Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:47 am
by E7
E7 wrote:bob turner wrote:They might not like some of us. They really, really do not like me.
But Bob, You're so cute and cuddly!

I may have just made the S-List with you.......or maybe I just can't remember my password. No great loss either way!
Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 6:29 pm
by Erik C Lindgren
up148 wrote:I think this is for a very good and reasonable request and I really enjoy that magazine. As I've stated elsewhere, IMHO it is the best O scale publication we have and extremely similar to the old OSN and OST. I will be donating for sure.
Me too, it’s good. I’ve sent him content before and it was never used but that’s only because it was no good in his eyes; but I still like the magazine a lot! I hope he comes out ok and keeps producing. He seems like a really cool guy I guess, I had the opportunity to meet him at the National last summer. He was very cordial.